The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 29, 2016, 05:47 PM   #101
Soclosenotnear

Lots of nice revolvers in this thread.

I loved a hi standard sentinel in .22lr I used to have. It was lots of fun.
Old July 30, 2016, 12:14 PM   #102
P.E. Kelley

Ruger 357 Maximum 10.5"

Used it and LOVED it for Metallic Silhouette competitions.

Quit playing that game (it dried up in my area) and....like a dope...sold it!

Uber accurate and soft shooting by Ram Slamming standards.
Old August 1, 2016, 10:47 PM   #103
Stargater53

For years, my pistol of choice was the Smith & Wesson Model 13. The sights were molded into the gun, it was easy to lighten the action, it was dead on accurate and reliable. Gorgeous, and it was a no frills police revolver that could take .38s for home use and the more powerful .357s for cross country, camping and trail use. And, at the time, it was reasonably priced.

Best revolver: S&W 686 first generation w/wood grips, stamped side plate, plated hammer and trigger.

Favorite revolver: 3-inch Ruger .357 Speed-Six (originally .38). Super accurate.

Old August 2, 2016, 12:10 AM   #104
Viper225

You have asked a very hard question.
My best Hunting Revolver is a 9.5" Target Grey Super RedHawk in 480 Ruger with a 30mm UltraDot on a Weigand Combat Base.
My #1 Grail Revolver is a S&W Custom Shop DAO 66-2 with 3" Barrel.
My #2 Grail Revolver is a 3" Barrel 6 Shot 686-4, I finally gave up on it when I purchased a 3" GP100 with Adjustable Sights. Way less $$$.

I have 2 ICORE/Defensive Pistol revolvers. The first is a 4" Barrel 686-5 with a Fiber Optic front sight built by Ron Power. My other is a 6" GP100 also with a Fiber Optic front sight. So far I have done all the work on it myself.

One I really would like to have back was a 25-2 S&W that I had my gunsmith buddy install a 4" S&W 25-5 barrel on. Making it into a copy of the rare 4" barrel 25-2 with Red Ramp front sight, that is almost impossible to come up with. I am almost sure I had it located on S&W Forum a few years ago. The current owner thought it was factory, and quit answering my questions about it. I made a serious mistake pricing it way to high to a fellow who pulled out a roll of $100 bills, and hauled off a revolver that I had no intentions of selling. A valueable and painful lesson was learned that day. Do not price something you do not want to sell.

I could go on and on 4" 629 No Dash, Lue Horton 3" 24, etc, etc.

It is really hard to just pick one as an all time favorite revolver.

Bob R
Old August 5, 2016, 01:43 AM   #105
gb_in_ga

The best revolver I've ever owned? I've still got it. It is a 1980 vintage S&W 686 no-dash, 4" barrel. It still has the original tiger wood grips, and has NOT been through the recall (it hasn't needed it). No, it is NOT for sale. A cursory serial number search puts it in the first couple of months' production for that model.

And it is a sweet shooter, too.
Old August 5, 2016, 07:21 AM   #106
ZEN.45

Got this recently ... and it's definitly the 'best' I've ever owned.

Korth Combat Magnum
Old August 6, 2016, 11:51 AM   #107
Glenn Dee

The best revolver I ever owned...

The best revolver I ever owned is the S&W 4" heavy barrel model 10, I carried for 25 years. Yep, the ole plain jane basic model 10. thousands made but my beat up battle scarred model has seen me through hundreds of scrapes, and more than a few funny stories...