The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 03:32 AM   #26
ClydeFrog

cops vs armed citizens(students)....

I disagree with the "large PDs issue striker fired pistols like the Glock, M&P or Walther P99QA" line because sworn LE officers or armed professionals must train/qualify with these firearms. They can spend the time or fire the rounds to get better. John or Mary citizen may not have the same resources.
It's true that many working cops are not bullet-heads or "into" guns and they must train with sidearms as a job requirement but they must also practice & can do so with more ranges, ammunition or gear than a regular citizen.
I stand by suggestions for a simple DA only hammer fired pistol. I saw a few used Beretta 8000 series D(DA only) model .357sig pistols & a few surplus 96D .40S&W pistols at a local shop(prices around $450.00) so I know there are pistols available if you look.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Glock, M&P, Kahr or XD models. I'm saying they are not the best for entry level/new gun owners.

Clyde
Old January 5, 2013, 06:38 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

Hi-point. Get one in 9mm and 380 for the price of the sigma or p series.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:50 PM   #28
Buffalo444

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
Hi-point. Get one in 9mm and 380 for the price of the sigma or p series.
Oh goodness. I wouldnt have anybody shoot one of those as a first timer, theyll think all guns are junk.

sent from the rust monster