The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 5, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1
wildturkey76209

AK 47 Cleaning kit...

Okay, got my kit in from center fire systems and it has a bunch of stuff I don't know what to do with. It contains a blank firing adapter, which I suppose would be useful for training purposes. I will never use that but I get it. Then it has a small, tapered on one end rod, perhaps 5/8" long. I have no idea what this is for. I also am unable to open the tube which is housing the various attachments that go on the end of my rod. So my questions are:

1. How does the tube open? I am afraid to force it but I am guessing it screws off?

2. What is the small tapered end rod for?

3. What is the hole in the end of the cleaning rod for? Not the slot near the threads. The one nearest the muzzle when it is in the carrying position.
Old August 5, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
7jinxed7

Is this a typical surplus type?

If it is:
Slightly rotate the cap till it stops and pull,they can be a little tight.
The tapered end small rod is actually a punch and can be used in the hole in the cleaning rod i think to give the cleaning rod a t handle. I don't have a cleaning rod for mine so i can't compare it. It should be the same as the SKS type kits.
you should also have some brushes and a flat blade tool which is for adjusting your front sights and slotted piece for your cleaning patches,sounds like like you have that. The flat blade tool should also go in the slots in the side of the tube which makes it a t handle sight adjuster.

My kit is out of a SAR-3 5.56 so yours may be a little different.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:11 PM   #3
wildturkey76209

D'OH! (slapping myself in the forehead) Thanks Jinxed7. I sure wish I had read you post before I went to the range this morning. Yes it is a surplus kit. It was rusted shut so I had to use some pliers to get it open but sure enough. Inside I found a sight adjustment tool that I needed at the range this morning. The tube can indeed be used as a T handle for both the site tool and the cleaning rod. I also have another smaller punch, speculating that is for disassembling the firing pin from the bolt. There is also a longer, threaded? rod that has a slot on the end (closeup) that will screw onto the cleaning rod. I can't imagine running this thru the bore as it would destroy the rifling wouldn't it? What is this rod for? Also, does anybody know how to adjust the windage on this? I get the elevation adjustment but I can't see any way to move the site post side to side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0102.jpg (189.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0103.jpg (243.6 KB, 54 views)
Old August 6, 2011, 07:01 PM   #4
7jinxed7

Mine is a little different. I don't have that barbed slotted piece or the tiny rod. Mine is just slotted. Not sure about that barbed section.

As far as windage you need a sight tool. You push the sight front sight block to the side with the tool below,not the sight post. I used the NcStar and worked fine but requires slight drilling on certain guns,on the tool itself. But their cheap enough it's not a big deal.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=368914
Old August 7, 2011, 12:00 PM   #5
wildturkey76209

Thanks again Jinxed. Got one of those on the way. For $5 if I have to modify it I can.
Old August 8, 2011, 09:10 AM   #6
chris in va

I don't think I needed to clean my Saiga AK even after a couple thousand rounds. Maybe hose down the trigger group/bolt area with a solvent every now and then. Darn thing never balked.
Old August 8, 2011, 04:04 PM   #7
wildturkey76209

I probably could go that long Chris but I am kinda anal about cleaning my guns. I clean every time I shoot. Just my preference...