The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1
gaseousclay

gun sales: best time to shop?

so, hunting season is slowly coming up and it's making me a little anxious to buy a shotgun sooner rather than later. this is partly because I don't know how busy sporting goods stores will be and whether or not i'll get the same attention from a salesperson as I might during the non-hunting season. do stores like Cabela's (and other gun shops) traditionally have pre-season sales on shotguns & rifles? I still haven't decided if I should go new or used. i'd buy new if I knew I could get some sort of discount, but i'm still considering used. bueller?
Old August 11, 2010, 12:56 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Best time to get very good deals around me are right after deer season for centerfire rifles and slug barrel shotguns. Some smooth bores show up but not too many as the short smooth bore rifles with sights used for slugs on deer will be "spring gobbler" season and the longer barrel shotguns come up for sale following dove and small game seasons. Right now the prices have already been on the rise, albeit slowly, for 30-45 days or so.

Brent
Old August 11, 2010, 07:43 AM   #3
oneounceload

You can check the web sites of the big box stores - they'll list their sale ads there - see if one suits you
Old August 11, 2010, 09:51 AM   #4
ISC

It depends on the gun. The best time to buy a deer rifle is 2 weeks to a month after deer season when failed hunters sell their rifles because they missed a deer and it's easier for them to blame the gun than to admit they suck. You have to go before income tax returns come in though.

For most other guns around 2 weeks before Christmas because guys are strapped for cash for gifts. This is also the best time to buy a car because no one is buying big ticket purchases and salesmen are eager to make a sale to get their commision.
Old August 11, 2010, 11:01 AM   #5
alfack

The best time to shop is after a conservative is elected president
Old August 11, 2010, 11:34 AM   #6
BigJimP

It really depends on what type of shotgun you're looking for ...but yes, seasonally -- before hunting season some "field" shotguns go on promotional sales --- but year round, something is on sale ...especially the popular tactical and field guns.

"Target grade guns" rarely go on sale -- although Browning or Beretta once in a while will have a promotion on accessories ....and price increases seem to happen annually.
Old August 11, 2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Chindo18Z

End of month January and all of February.

Most late deer hunting seasons are finally over and many pawn tickets come due. Sadly, many folks pawn or sell for Christmas cash or to pay Jan/Feb bills (after overspending during the Holidays). Some folks simply trade up or sell recently purchased or gifted firearms around the same time of year. As noted by other posters, hunting weapons abound.

Typically a lot of good deals in the used and LNIB market. Check used counter in gun shops, browse pawn shops, and peruse the local classifieds.
Old August 11, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8
sserdlihc

To me, August is a good time of year to buy rifle that you really don't want. Big Box boys will put entry level guns out there at bare bones prices. They have a knack for putting a cheap scope on a fairly decent rifle. People percieve it as a deal. You will justify spending 2-300 dollars less for something that you don't really want because you percieve it as a deal. In my experience, wait til after deer season ends. You should be able to pick up what you really want and save some money to boot to spend on good optics.
This is just what I have dealt with in the past.

Last edited by sserdlihc; August 11, 2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Typo on the word "spend"
Old August 11, 2010, 01:32 PM   #9
BigJimP

I browse the good used gun shops in my area all year long .....you never know when you'll find something interesting.

If you develop a relationship with the owner / and tell him what you're looking for / ask him to call you when he gets in something. My local used gun shop keeps a bunch of us advised as he gets new items via email / or a phone call ....and 9 times out of 10 he's already sold it to one of us / before its come off its 30 day hold ...before he can sell it (because he's technically a pawn shop). Its good for him and for us ...
Old August 11, 2010, 08:31 PM   #10
PetahW

January is best.

Besides the above excellent reasons, January is also when most companies must do an itemized inventory for their state and/or municipality - which will then tax the company (gun store) on the value of the store's contents.

Ergo, the lower their "inventory", the lower their local taxes will be.

Old August 11, 2010, 08:48 PM   #11
oneounceload

Actually, most states that tax inventory do so on the inventory on hand at 12/31 of the year in question, so right after Christmas would be ideal