The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2010, 09:24 PM   #1
ShellShock

Mounting a scope on the H&R Topper Deluxe 198(.410 single-shot)

Out of all of my collection, I like my .410 the best for some reason so that's why I want to bother with mounting a scope for when I fire slugs.

How would I be able to mount a scope one my .410? It has no mounts and also isn't drilled and tapped to specifically accept a mount. Is there still a way I can mount a scope? Thanks.
Old August 4, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Charles Ellis

While I think it is impractical to mount a scope on a 410 for shooting slugs,if that is what you want ,go for it.You will have to have a gunsmith modify an existing scope mount base so that it will fit the top of the barrel of your gun.He will then have to drill and tap the holes for the mounting screws that will hold the mount base to the barrel.The gunsmith at the shop that I go to charges $25 per.hole that he drills and taps.There are tipically 4 holes on a scope mount base.Once he attaches the base to the barrel,you then need to buy a scope and a set of rings and assemble them as required.I suspect that the final bill for the gunsmith's work and the parts you will need,will be about tripple the value of the shotgun.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:05 PM   #3
ThomasT

Charles summed it up pretty good. A couple of additional thoughts are that the 410 slug is at its very best a 50 yard deer killer. Thirty yards or less is a better standard. At that range no scope should be needed unless you are as blind as Mr. Magoo.

Also to get consistant accuracy from a slug shooter you will need to remove the choke from your gun which kinda ruins it for shooting the smaller shot at any range. I have a Mossberg with the screw on chokes and it should be okay with slugs as long as the choke tube is removed from the barrel. The threads are on the outside of the barrel.

Here is a link to a fellow that has done a lot of shooting with the 410 slugs.

http://mcb-homis.com/index410.html

Maybe this will give you some better ideas about the slug gun.