The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 14, 2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Rocked

Marine shotgun

I personally prefer the Mossberg, but as far as the 500 and 870 go, is there any real difference between their two marinecoat guns?
Old April 14, 2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The Remington is generally acknowledged to be a better quality gun, and the plated finish looks like a better job to me.
A don't think Mossberg does much to the internals of the trigger group, while Remington treats them too.

As a matter of interest, this year Remington has introduced a new BLACK Marine Magnum gun called the Marine Magnum XCS.

Look down toward the bottom:
http://www.remington.com/pdfs/07catalog-shotguns.pdf
Old April 14, 2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Jseime

I think that the mossberg is more bang for your buck. A lot of what you pay for with the remington is name.

The mossberg has some features that I really like such as the dual extractors and the shell carrier that stays up when the action is closed as opposed to the remington which rides down.
Old April 14, 2007, 10:33 PM   #4
Rocked

Jseime, you named a few reasons why I prefer the 500, but Im not looking for a 500 vs 870 thread, Ive seen more than enough of those on here. Im only interested in their marine counter parts.

Interesting that the 870 treats the internal parts. That alone could sway my decision. I dont much care about black, but I deffinantly do not want a real shiny gun in the bright Florida sunshine.

Ideally, Id like to keep it in a boat where it would be exposed to salt water and such, and id like it to be protected best it can be before it gets a chance to be cleaned.
Old April 15, 2007, 01:01 AM   #5
rugerdude

I had the opportunity to have a mossberg 590 marinecoat for a couple months. The thing WOULD NOT RUST. It had been stored for years in a soft case prior to me borrowing it, and had no rust at all. I shot that gun every weekend for a couple months and I never wiped it down, and it was fine.

I really like the mossberg, and the internals are treated IIRC. In any case, the mossberg is cheaper and holds more shells.

I have no experience with the remington version, but it will probably the usual step above the mossberg in overall quality, but for a higher price.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old April 15, 2007, 02:02 AM   #6
RsqVet

Personally I like the 870 better mainly for it's steel reciver and better overall quality. In the case of the Marine guns I'd take the 870, the remingtons simply appear to come through with a superior finish.