The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 15, 2006, 05:55 PM   #1
willsnipe

What do you do?

I recently had a very questionable experience with a TLF senior member.
He posted a "lightly used" firearm for sale. After agreeing to purchase it from him (through several PMs) I get this message:

"I am sorry to say that due to unforseeable problems, I gotta renig for now (just lost my income source) and cannot replace the 329 now for a while-wife's orders.

Again, I am very very sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

Take care"

While he posts:
"Anyway, I was pissed when I posted this. Then I gone n done some home-gunsmithing. Smoothed out a couple parts and streamlined the whole internal locking device. It works much better now

Anyway, now the gun is sweet.

Thanks"

I'll let you draw your own conclusions, but it sounds very much like he was willing to pawn off a problem on any one of us, and immediately welsh on a deal once his problem was solved. Is this not in direct opposition to TFL’s purpose? What do you do in situations like this?

I'm presently debating how to respond. Do I identify the individual here? What is the protocall when faced with such obvious BS?
Old March 15, 2006, 06:25 PM   #2
rapier144

I wouldn't air dirty laundry on the open board but if someone PMed me and wanted to know who it was then i would do it privately. But thats just me. But since you posted some of the text of a post on here i won't be too hard for someone to find out who you're talking about.
Old March 15, 2006, 06:33 PM   #3
Stiofan

Yeah, a search of your old posts pulls it up quick. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. What's done is done.
Old March 16, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4
willsnipe

rapier144 quote: "But since you posted some of the text of a post on here i won't be too hard for someone to find out who you're talking about."

That wasn't my intent, or I wouldn't have edited out the individual's name. Can't say I'm terribly sorry though. IMO, without public scrutiny this type of behavior just continues.

Wonder if he realizes what a slam-dunk breach of contract case this is?
Old March 17, 2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Yankee Doodle

Willsnipe
No one has asked me for my opinion, but here it is anyway.
No money changed hands. Seller changed his mind. You lost nothing except a couple of minutes of typing time. OK, you are dissapointed. If I were you, I would get over it, and worry about things that are worth worrying about. There are millions of guns out there, you will find another one if you really want to.

Y.D.
Old March 17, 2006, 08:41 AM   #6
XavierBreath

I agree with the Yankee. Without a sending of money, you have only discussed the transfer of property. You have not made a committment.

I know it's rather sucky when you thought you had found a good deal, but different people have different ideas about how to do business. This is one of those cases.

If he had taken your money and sent you a gun that was not as advertised, or no gun at all, that would be different. Backing out of a deal before a transfer of funds/property, while an inconvienence, is not on the same level as changing the deal after money or property has been sent.

Again, publishing on a forum PMs is bad practice.

I would drop this matter like a gentleman and move on. You can chose not to deal with this person in the future. You are putting yourself in a bad light in this very thread. If you are going to trade online, especially on a forum, your reputation is worth more than any gun or any deal.
Old March 18, 2006, 10:12 AM   #7
mill hunky

1-2-3-4-5

a while a go. i bid on something on another forum. it read sold after my reply. i pm the seller, and he came back w/ a **** answer. then another dumbass answer to his reply. sold it to a higher bidder. seemed to displease some of the other bidders. i read something on stress. just count to 5 , it is usually how long a crap stress lasts. i`ve been doing it a lot lately, and just smile at the person. and it seems to piss people off , because you are not responding to a dumbass. not saying this other person was a dumbass! now when this person trys to post on some of the replys i notice he gets no response from the other members of the forum.
Old March 21, 2006, 09:56 AM   #8
OBIWAN

I have had plenty of deals fall through

Lots of people saying "I'll take it" and then changing their mind

A few who changed their mind but dragged it out for weeks because they were afraid to admit they either changed their mind or couldn't actually afford it.

I myself have had second thoughts....but in my case I stood by the deal I had agreed to.

But..............

Since there was no actual fraud involved

I never saw the point in going public

I just made a note NEVER to deal with that person again
Old March 25, 2006, 10:16 PM   #9
Swan Hunter

My favorite deal that fell through excuse...

After we had worked out all the details, he writes me that "He used the gun in a self defence shooting last night" The police were holding the pistol for evidence....It COULD have happened but, I never heard another word from the guy. I suspect someone offered him $10 more! You just never know?