The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 2, 2015, 06:56 PM   #26
lee n. field

Quote:
I was 25 when I first qualified with it, but now as 40 looms
I just turned 60. Dude, 40 "ain't nothin'".

Quote:
Smith, a 4" M15-3. But she's been getting a little long in the tooth. In fact she has become unreliable.
Uhhh, fix it?

What's wrong with it?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 3, 2015, 12:58 AM   #27
samsmix

I already covered what was wrong with it. I'll get around to fixing it, but not right away.

As far as "40" goes I covered that, too. It isn't the age its the mileage. I'm packing a few old...and not so old...injuries. I ain't old by any means, but sore is sore.
I might need a vacation more than anything.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 5, 2015, 10:13 PM   #28
tjh

Look into a S&W M&P R8 at 36oz and 8 shots of 357 mag power .
Old August 5, 2015, 11:36 PM   #29
JDBerg

It's funny, this week I just picked up a nice 4" S&W Model 15, I carried one of these years ago back in my Air Force SP days, it's like déjà vu all over again! I like wheelguns & autopistols and I've been shooting a Gen3 Glock 17 for over 6 years. I also have a Gen4 Glock 21 that shoots everything I load it with beautifully. People can say anything they want about a "G", but they can't tell me that mine don't work for me.
Old August 6, 2015, 01:50 PM   #30
samsmix

I'm not a fanboy for any gun...well maybe a little but on the FN GP35/BHP...but I DO have a short list of the ones I think are first picks, and Glock is on that list.

Old August 6, 2015, 03:02 PM   #31
WVMountaineer

Here's my take. An M&P or glock in a high capacity 45 is going to weigh about the same. So will a 40. A 9MM loaded full tilt can weigh less, depending on the gun. But, if we are talking a 16 to 17 round gun, it is a wash. In any case, by the time you load up the appropriate amount of Magazines and belt carry them, there isn't going to be much difference between any of the polymer offerings and the system you now carry. Sorry, there just isn't going to be. It is all a wash.

But, if I went Polymer, It'd be an M&P or the Glock for service work requiring a hot gun. I love the SR series but, understand in your line a work, a safety could be unwanted. If that didn't bother you, I'd go Ruger all the way. Just disconnect the magazine safety for reliability purposes, which takes about 3 minutes. They are great, accurate guns and. I have carried one of the two I own, exclusively this summer. God Bless
Old August 7, 2015, 07:57 AM   #32
JDBerg

I'll tell you, try the trigger pull on a Walther PPQ M2, IMHO it puts the Glock, M&P, HK VP, SR, and XD striker triggers to shame!
Old August 7, 2015, 12:35 PM   #33
spruce98lx

On the clock, A Glock 40 has been on my hip since 2000. Had a model 22 till about three years ago when the origal one was replaced by a new model 23. Havin been an instructor and armor, I am still amazed at the simplicity and the reliability of the Glock pistol. Many fine pistols out there for sure but for me the Glock is always going to be the go to pistol for when things go bad. Don't ge mt wrong, I love my wheelies but the Glock is a damn fine duty pistol.
Old August 12, 2015, 10:20 AM   #34
camsdaddy

If I were as experienced as you are with a 4" K frame I would have a hard time making a change. I would drop a couple hundred dollars on another K frame and rock on.
Old August 12, 2015, 11:33 PM   #35
samsmix

Lol...well, I never felt under armed with my K-frame. And also, I think of the K-frame smith and the Glock as the Go-to guns in their respective action types. Personally, I'm one of those "Its a tool box" types who could use most any reliable gun. It's more about mindset than gear, it just happens I like gear too.

Anyhoo, gonna get the Glock and, but I have no doubt you can catch me packing the "K" concealed or afield once I get a moment or two to see to it's repair.

Old August 13, 2015, 10:05 AM   #36
Seaman

Fascinating thread.

"1911's are out, save for the ParaOrd LDA. No single actions autos. " [samsmix]

What am I missing here, have carried just about everything, current carry is a 'one gun does it all' (for me), a 10mm 1911 Monolith.

What can you tell me? Thanks in advance.

Best to you.
Old August 13, 2015, 01:57 PM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

When I worked security I carried either a Glock 19 (16 rounds with 2 spare 17 rounders) or SIG P226 (19 rounds with 2 spare 20 rounders).

Those are my votes.
Old August 13, 2015, 02:26 PM   #38
pilpens

If for open carry, just pick from the many big name service sized polymers and call it done:
1. Glock 19/17
2. Walther PPQ
3. S&W M&P
Service size allows more choices on holster and easier to carry than the longer versions (G34, M&P Pro, etc).
Save your GP100 for hunting/fun.
====
I would opt for 9mm but you pick the caliber you like.
Old August 13, 2015, 02:42 PM   #39
samsmix

Seaman,
My employer won't allow single action autos.

Old August 13, 2015, 05:24 PM   #40
RAfiringline

Glock 19 or a CZp01.
Both are reasonably priced and at the top of the pistol reliability scale.

The CZ is DA/SA and all metal.

The Glock is DAO; appx. 1/2" pull at 5.5 pds.
Old August 14, 2015, 05:47 AM   #41
Samuel2011

Samsmix, sounds like a Sig P220 in 10mm with a nice double action trigger might fit the bill as well.
Old August 14, 2015, 06:16 AM   #42
grey.ghost

I think your choice in the 10mm should work very well. The ^^ mentioned Sig is good, S&W has a few models lingering around that are great shooters in 10mm, and then of course there's Glock. Let is know what you end up with!
Old August 14, 2015, 10:34 AM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

For a job like that? Where you basically have a target on your back... I'd opt for a high capacity 9mm over anything else.
Old August 14, 2015, 11:51 AM   #44
Will Beararms

Here's what ya do:

Go to Buds Gun Shop

Click on 180 days to pay

Find a good, new in the box, armory grade semi auto handgun

This way, you can get a quality firearm under warranty which is important since you are a professional

Put 10% down and pay it off in 6 months

When it's paid off, you have it shipped to a local FFL. Mine charges me $25.00.

I do this. Just got an M&P 9. As soon as I get one gun paid for, I put another one on lay away.

Check back frequently. They add different guns almost daily.

They also offer discounts to professionals.
Old August 14, 2015, 01:36 PM   #45
samsmix

180 days? That's good to know.

Glock extends us their LE discount, and S&W does bit only through Buds.

Old August 16, 2015, 06:22 PM   #46
Grumpy_Bottom

five seven? light gun ,light ammo, long sight radius?