The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 27, 2015, 03:00 AM   #51
Sport45

In the "For What it's Worth" department.

Right now Grafs has 13 different handgun bullets in stock for .410". They have about 100 in stock to choose from in 45 caliber.
Old July 27, 2015, 06:25 AM   #52
stagpanther

True the 41 mag is not readily available in big box stores or LGs where local preferences dictate what is stocked--but I've never had a problem finding both ammo and reload components for it if I was including the internet.

It is a great hard-hitting cartridge with stopping power similar to the 44 mag and ballistically flies great with moderate recoil transferred to the shooter. After years of reloading for it and firing through my blackhawk, I just don't think there is another cartridge that delivers that performance blend as well.
Old July 27, 2015, 07:10 AM   #53
336A

Here is but one more point that I'd like to add that has yet to be mentioned here. The .41 magnum is great cartridge that can stand on it's own merits and don't need to be compared to other cartridges. The other topic without fail that"s always brought up is one of bullet weight. Anymore it seems that the everyday shooter/plinker/hunter thinks it's necessary to load up with the heaviest bullet that they can stuff into the chambers of their sixguns and have at it.

The late great Elmer Keith never needed anything more than his 429421 bullet in his .44 magnum, and it always worked without fail. In the .41 a hunter using the .41 magnum version at roughly 1400fps poleaxed a moose at 65 yards. The bullet went between the the shoulder blades driving so deep that it lacerated the liver. The moose took a couple of steps got sick and fell over. On another occasion a 250gr .41 mag started at a pedestrian 1100fps sailed through both shoulders of a 700lbs cow elk at 74 yards dropping her were she stood. In the above two examples if that performance isn't satisfactory please explain how the above could have been improved upon.

I bring all of this up to point out that the average individual don't need 300+ grain bullets to kill the common deer/pig/black bear, which is most likely what the cartridges will be used on in a hunting context. Now if the user feels that they must subject themselves to the effects of such loads then so be it this a free country after all, but in reality they aren't needed. If you really need a heavy bullet there is the 295gr SSK bullet for the .41 if you have elephants in your woods. The bullets can be found at Bear Tooth bullets or Penn Bullets. Here is a great resource for the .41 magnum for the OP
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...al-data-center

As far as the ammo situation is concerned it has never been better for the .41 magnum. There is more variety of ammo to choose from now than at anytime before for the .41. Sadly the old "Police Load" is gone and the only SD loading available that I'm aware of is the Win 175gr STHP. More folks really need to give the .41 magnum a chance you might find that you will come to really enjoy it.

Last edited by 336A; July 27, 2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old July 27, 2015, 07:27 AM   #54
drobs

Ruger's new 45 Colt Redhawk that takes 45 acp w/ moon clips is on my list to buy.

2 calibers in 1 gun.
Old July 28, 2015, 03:31 AM   #55
Sport45

You forgot .45gap and .45 Schofield.

(still only one caliber though)
Old July 28, 2015, 03:05 PM   #56
dakota1911

I have several Rugers in 45 LC/45ACP convertible. Never considered a 41 Mag. Do run Ruger/TC Contender on handloads in 45LC at times.
Old July 29, 2015, 11:16 AM   #57
Real Gun

Quote:
Never considered a 41 Mag.
Time to catch up!
Old July 29, 2015, 11:50 AM   #58
Kosh75287

For no rational, irrefutable set of reasons, my leanings are to the .45 Colt. It can be loaded to equal .41/.44 Mag specs, and factory loads that do the same are available, if somewhat dear. The .41 mag's supply problems can largely be overcome by casting, judicious purchasing, and husbandry of supply. I don't really see a task that one will successfully perform, of which the other 2 are incapable.

The platform whence these cartridges are shot may bear examination, as a S&W M57 is probably more tune-able than a .45 Colt Redhawk, while the latter is likely to last longer if subjected to equi-ballistic ammunition. I don't know how to gauge the strength of the $&W .45 Colt N-frames, but I'd be inclined to not expose them to pressures above 21,000 p.s.i. (and then only rarely), unless I hear on good authority that it's okay to do so.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old July 29, 2015, 02:53 PM   #59
Real Gun

Do we know whether the S&W N-frame cylinder is pushed to its limit with 45 Colt, precluding use of loads above SAAMI standard? I suspect that 44 and 41 are better suited to that gun in terms of powerful loads.
Old July 29, 2015, 07:07 PM   #60
336A

To follow up on my last post here is a link to the above mentioned elk, further down he talks of the moose that was taken too

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...ghlight=magnum

As for the S&W .45 that everyone is asking about here is what John Linebaugh has to say, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...ht_bullets.htm

Here is another article that he wrote on the S&W .45 Cot as well.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12