The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 30, 2000, 02:03 PM   #1
Sisco

A local bargan store has these milsurp woodland camo outfits with the charcoal liner for $17.00 a set. Does the charcoal dust go away after washing? What if you get caught out in the rain, end up with black crap all over your clothes? Do they really work as a scent blocker?
Old November 30, 2000, 07:05 PM   #2
Jeff White

They don't work as scent blockers

Milsurp chem suits are good to keep you warm and that's about it. Some of them won't even work as designed for protecting soldiers.

Yes you can wash the charcoal out of them. Don't wash them with anything else and it will take a couple washings.

A local man who trains champion man trailing bloodhounds (Jack Shuler of Shuler Bloodhounds http://www.shulerbloodhounds.com I think) put his son in full MOPP IV, with mask hood and gloves. He was able to trail him with a bloodhound. I think the scent thing is just a marketing ploy to sell an otherwise useless product.

They do make good warm garments if you are going to be still hunting, but that's about the only use I can think of for them.

HTH

Jeff
Old November 30, 2000, 09:02 PM   #3
Sisco

Thanks. I wasn't so interested in the scent blocking qualities as about the charcoal dust. The tables the store had them laid out on were covered with the stuff, got it all over myself trying one on.
Old December 2, 2000, 06:18 PM   #4
viper45

I used to have one, turned the washer black quite a few times
Old December 2, 2000, 09:29 PM   #5
Wayne D

Here's the address: http://www.jackshuler.com/sbhound/
Old December 4, 2000, 02:39 PM   #6
ohen cepel

I would not consider them a very good option for much of anything.
I never believed the scent stopping thing since they tended to smell enough themselves. A deer might not know you're a human but they will know you don't belong there.
The charcoal will blacken you for several uses unless you wash it. This will reduce the mess but will also make your wife furious if you don't run an empty wash after it.
Since I've had to wear these for weeks at a time I'm biased against them. I hate them and can't imagine wearing it willingly.

NRA Life Benefactor Member