The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 6, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1
precision_shooter

Got my first buck December, 2009.

I've been hunting Whitetail for about 7 years now. I don't have a lease but have been luck enough to have friends with land that let me hunt. Some have a no buck rule for visitors which is fine with me. I got invited to go to a friends place with no restrictions on what I could shoot. Needless to say, I was very excited. I ended up seeing nothing for 2 days straight and then got this guy on the last afternoon.

Not huge by any means but I think it's pretty respectable for my 1st one. Shot him at about 85 yards using my Tikka T3 lite in .308 using Hornady 150gr. SST's. Live weight was 152 lbs and had an inside spread of just over 14 inches.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 6, 2010, 01:00 PM   #2
simonkenton

Congratulations! Good shot!

That photo isn't coming up.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:22 PM   #3
9mm1033

I can't see the photo, but congratulations. I wish rifles were allowed in Ohio. Sometimes they are just too far out of range and we have to let the good ones go.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:25 PM   #4
precision_shooter

Thanks guys. I love deer hunting and I think I have the buck fever that everyone talks about when they shoot their first decent buck.

Attached pic for those that can't see it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf buck1.pdf (301.0 KB, 139 views)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 6, 2010, 01:28 PM   #5
sserdlihc

Nice!! Congrats!!
Old January 6, 2010, 01:30 PM   #6
cnimrod

Kudos!

That first buck is special. took me 7 years to get mine too and 20 to mount his antlers. cabelas sells a decent kit for DIY -and that's a way prettier deer than mine was!
Old January 6, 2010, 01:32 PM   #7
precision_shooter

I did the DIY kit from cabelas. Got a wooden plack and mounted them to the placque and then glued the pic above to it.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Shorthair

Congrats, nice buck!
Old January 6, 2010, 01:43 PM   #9
davlandrum

Nice buck and congrats.

Trick I have read about, but not tried personally, is stick the tongue back in the mouth and tie it shut with fishing line.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 6, 2010, 07:08 PM   #10
boltaction

Congrats, nice first buck.
Old January 6, 2010, 07:44 PM   #11

My first buck was a big spike...........great job.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old January 6, 2010, 08:29 PM   #12
LateNightFlight

Congrats! The first one is the one that will count the most in your memories. May this nice buck be only the first of many.

Happy hunting!
Old January 6, 2010, 08:39 PM   #13
DRice.72

Congrats!
Old January 6, 2010, 08:57 PM   #14
BIGR

Congrats on your buck. Sometimes you just have to be patient and the next buck will be easier.
Old January 7, 2010, 08:29 AM   #15
youp

Some posts just make me happy. This is one. Congrats!!
Old January 12, 2010, 07:53 PM   #16
James R. Burke

First congradulations! Very fine deer. Now you really raised the bar for yourself. I got my first buck in 1968 had to do some math but that was the year. Were I was hunting the folks that owned the land new I never taken a deer, and I was young, so they pretty much let me take what I wanted except nothing real small. I was determined for a buck. Back then there were not to many deer, compared to today, hard to believe. I remember going whole seasons, and maybe seeing one doe. You done a real nice job for your first buck, and you will never forget it, and it is a very nice to be proud of. Also a very nice spread! Seems like after the first one it just keeps getting better and better. Again congradulations on a very fine buck! By the way yours had a much bigger rack then my first one by a long shot.

Last edited by James R. Burke; January 12, 2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added:
Old January 14, 2010, 02:39 PM   #17
watchale

Congratulations ! I'm still waiting on my first buck. I passed on a couple this year. Cuz they were further away than I felt comfortable shooting. Oh well myabe I'll get 1 next year.