The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2009, 03:35 PM   #51
JagFarlane

Matter of personal preference and sometimes just economics. Figure an 870 or Mossberg can be had at a fraction the cost of a good semi, and both are proven, reliable shotguns many will stop there. For me, I just grew up around pumps, I love the feel and enjoy the simplicity.
Maybe I'm the exception, while I enjoy semi-auto pistols, I like revolvers and plan to move more into picking those up now. I also appreciate the simple, accurate bolt action and single shot rifles. Sure my SKS is fun, but when it comes down to it, I love my X-bolt over it.
Old July 14, 2009, 03:36 PM   #52
stargazer65

Quote:
We are talking semi-automatic autoloader.
Actually, I think I've been ripped off. My autoloader doesn't load itself when I pick it up, I still have to buy and put the shells in myself.

Here I thought I was getting one like in the movies that never runs out of shots.
Old July 14, 2009, 03:44 PM   #53
greyson97

my autoloader, i load in one shell and it fires 3 times with one trigger pull and one shell!
Old July 14, 2009, 03:45 PM   #54
Russ5924

They watch to many movie's, the movie's are in love with the sound of a pump. For me it's the sound of my 1100 bolt slamming closed
Old July 14, 2009, 03:53 PM   #55
mathman

Like I said before...I don't really think too much of what others prefer. Personally, I would not like to be confronted with either a pump or semi...

But it is a matter of fact that a quality (emphasis on quality) semi auto is faster to shoot and easier to shoot and is every bit as reliable (if not more reliable in high stress situations) as a pump.

This is coming from someone who can shoot both extremely quickly and precisely...but I am better with a semi.

But the key is QUALITY semi auto...such as a Benelli. My Benelli has NEVER jammed on me...however, I have short stroked my 870 more than once.

Those who don't wan't to admit that semis are as good as pumps (if not better) probably just can't afford them...sorry.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:10 PM   #56
johnbt

"Those who don't wan't to admit that semis are as good as pumps (if not better) probably just can't afford them...sorry."

That's just silly. Can't afford them? Get serious would you. I have enough just in my checking account to buy a new car and I'm not talking about some optioned out Camry or Accord either.

I have many more autoloaders than pumps, but the pump has always been more reliable mechanism. Okay, the Winchester SX-1 has been as reliable, but I haven't had it nearly as long as the oldest pump.

Google "Benelli click" just for grins.

"I have short stroked my 870 more than once."

Sure, blame it on the gun. <chuckle>

John

Last edited by johnbt; July 14, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:20 PM   #57
mp25ds4

i love my mossberg 500 for the price

but i would love a benelli m4 even more, its just that autos can get expensive
Old July 14, 2009, 04:22 PM   #58
mathman

The Benelli Click you refer to is caused by operator error as well...the Benellis require that the bolt fall into battery without being slowed down by the operator. Most of these 'clicks' are caused by people trying to ease their bolt into battery.

I never blamed my short stroking on the 870...that is my fault...but in the heat of a real self defense moment, short stroking is a real possibility.

Never said pumps were bad...just said semi autos are better for a lot of people (myself included).

Kind of like: I never said I don't know how to use a pump...just that I don't have much use for one.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:34 PM   #59
Anticonn

Quote:
Those who don't wan't to admit that semis are as good as pumps (if not better) probably just can't afford them...sorry.
Yea that makes sense, having experience and preference to one means you're just too poor to know better.

Old July 14, 2009, 04:46 PM   #60

I sold a Remington 1100 after I had to keep cleaning the gas ports to continue it's proper operation. I used it primarily for duck hunting and was throwing a ton of shells through it on a daily basis. I bought a 870 pump. Duck hunting, pheasant, deer w/ a rifled barrel, and turkey with an extended choke tube old blood and guts has never failed me.

However, I have a buddy who threw a hastings 24" cantilever rifled barrel on a 1100 and then added a nikon scope for a pretty looking deer gun.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:53 PM   #61
mathman

wow...don't take it personal...I just think that semi autos are better for HD...for the same reason that our military uses automatic rifles instead of bolt action rifles.

I think if more people could afford a quality semi auto, more people would like them and get off the pump bandwagon. But I might be wrong...afterall, I'm just another person posting an opinion on the internet.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:53 PM   #62
Hawg

It's just personal preference for the most part. I grew up in a time when autos were a lot slower than they are now and if you were good you could outshoot an auto with a pump. I've owned a few autos and while I never had any trouble with any of them I just never really felt comfortable with one. Now I have four pumps and no autos. Also have five SXS's. Somebody brought up recoil. Felt recoil with a pump or SXS has more to do with how the gun fits you than anything else. I know some 20 gauges that kick harder than 12 gauges in the same style.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:56 PM   #63
mathman

I agree about the 1100....I had a Remington 1100 Competition Master that would muck up and malfunction. I have not had this problem with a Benelli.
Old July 14, 2009, 04:58 PM   #64
greyson97

i have a friend who has a funky semi-auto and it wouldnt cycle with anything less than 2 3/4 drams of charge, he was shooting the light remington target stuff. I had some winchester gray box 7 1/2 shot that has 2 3/4 drams.

i traded all mine shells for his cause my benelli m4 could eat anything.

I will concede, my gun was expensive. twice as much as a remington 1100.but the price was worth it. no flaws EXCEPT supposedly i cant fire faster than .14 seconds cause the firing pin will ride down with the bolt.
Old July 14, 2009, 05:08 PM   #65
stargazer65

Quote:
i have a friend who has a funky semi-auto
I'd never buy a funky semi-auto. I'm too much of an old geezer.
Old July 14, 2009, 05:21 PM   #66
greyson97

Quote:
I'd never buy a funky semi-auto. I'm too much of an old geezer.
actually it was funky by my standards. it was like a classic semi that had a metal plate with an etched lake scene with ducks and stuff on it. and it was probabbly like 20 years old or something. wood, and what not
Old July 14, 2009, 07:10 PM   #67
Katrina Guy

I don't think it's a matter of preference nor economics.
I had a Browning "sweet sixteen" for a l o n g time, as I recall it was not gas operated, I think when your life hangs on the line a gas operated semi auto isn't quite the same as a pump action. I'd actually prefer a semi auto for self defense purposes-can operate it with one hand if you get hit, but I'm not at this point, convinced it's as dependable when your arse is hanging in the balance, as a pump action...please, convince me I'm wrong as I'd prefer to have one (a semi auto). Let's talk about dunking the thing under water and get some real gunk inside it before we talk. I know many, many decades ago duck hunting a Remington 1100 was considered a joke by the Browning club, could drop a Browning in cajun goop, blow it out so to speak, and keep on a going. While I admit in an urban confrontation your shotgun is not likely go get goop inside, but ...please, inligthen me on the attributes of the semi auto for self protection, as I'd go buy one tomorrow. BTW, the loud racking sound of a pump action doesn't turn me on like it seems to a lot around here *LOL*.
Old July 14, 2009, 07:29 PM   #68
greyson97

you can get the Semi that was designed for the USMC. the benelli m4.
life lesson lol: dont put the sling you got off an airsoft rifle onto a 1600 shotgun.

sling broke, the gun fell onto desert like ground. i was transporting it with the bolt open, so a lot of sand and fine gravel got inside. i shook it out, tapped it a few times, loaded it up, and it fired 125 rounds with no FTF FTE.

so far ive fired it a lot, and its never messed up. My coworker was in the marines, and since they were issued the m4s and did not have ownership of the guns, they dunked them in mud over night, picked it up and fired. and did other stupid **** with them.

they are that reliable.
Old July 14, 2009, 07:46 PM   #69
RockyTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyson97
I would like all of you to get off my lawn
Say that while raking a round and you may be taken more seriously.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:55 PM   #70

Katrina Guy

Right, the Browning. My 2nd duck hunting gun was a Belgium made sweet sixteen. What a gun! Yeah, spring operated and darn near bullet proof.....no pun. Sadly, I ditched it because steel shot became a way of life and it was nearly impossible to find in 16 gauge. I was 15 or 16 and didn't have the ching for a 12 gauge browning. Can I have a do over on that one?
Old July 14, 2009, 08:56 PM   #71
Technosavant

Quote:
I'd be pretty sorry if I said something like that too.

Quote:
wow...don't take it personal...I just think that semi autos are better for HD...
You're the one who got personal there. If that's what you just think, you ought not then make statements about how those who use pump guns as being not only poor but view semis as "sour grapes"- if we can't afford them, they suck. You like HK pistols too? That's the same argument they use.

News flash, here, mathman, some folks have different preferences and might well use a manual operating gun even though they can easily afford something better. Yes, pumps can short stroke. Semis can fail to cycle. Both have problems. No need to impugn those who prefer something else, it just makes you look ignorant, and not just in the classical sense.
Old July 14, 2009, 09:01 PM   #72
mathman

Quote:
You're the one who got personal there. If that's what you just think, you ought not then make statements about how those who use pump guns as being not only poor but view semis as "sour grapes"- if we can't afford them, they suck. You like HK pistols too? That's the same argument they use.

News flash, here, mathman, some folks have different preferences and might well use a manual operating gun even though they can easily afford something better. Yes, pumps can short stroke. Semis can fail to cycle. Both have problems. No need to impugn those who prefer something else, it just makes you look ignorant, and not just in the classical sense.
Take it easy buddy...kind of hard to claim someone is ignorant over the internet...especially when comments are taken out of context. I understand people have different preferences and that pumps are fine...my main point was that semi autos get a bad rap because of the semi autos of yesteryear. The new ones are extremely reliable...and the biggest hurdle is their price. Not sayin' that all folks who buy pumps can't afford semi autos...just sayin' that it is the reason for many.

I can see how my remarks can be seen as pompous and elitist...my apologies...and no, I don't own an HK.

Last edited by mathman; July 16, 2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old July 14, 2009, 09:55 PM   #73
stargazer65

From the OP:
Quote:
Why do people prefer pump actions over semi-auto?

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm genuinely curious.
No need for people to get irate. The OP just wanted peoples opinions. You don't have to agree with 'em all.
Old July 14, 2009, 10:30 PM   #74
Maser

I've had my Mossberg 500 since I was 12 and it has never failed me once. I also have experience with other pump shotguns such as the Remington 870. For me it's just a nice feeling being more involved in the reload process by pumping the gun. Not to mention pump guns are better at accepting special ammo such as mini shells. Autos are okay I guess. I shot a lot of shells through my buddy's Remington 11-87 and my Great Uncle's Browning Gold 10 gauge (very hard on the shoulder). For me the pumps just feel nicer with me.
Old July 14, 2009, 10:49 PM   #75
roy reali

Give It Time

Given time, semi-autos will be accepted. All new-fangled technology requires time for some people to accept.