The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 2, 2008, 09:32 PM   #1
REELZARUBA

open carry

hey tx shooters sign the open carry petition we have things going our way for now, you can never have to many pro gun laws
Old July 3, 2008, 04:01 AM   #2
BanditSRT8

We have open carry in MN, and NO ONE does it.

I would never, ever consider it. You're just inviting trouble, and not leaving anything for the element of surprise in case you need it.

Thanks, but no thanks on open carry...
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old July 3, 2008, 05:08 AM   #3
jlh26oo

Understand we're going to get destroyed here B.S.R.T., but I personally don't think open carry is a great idea either. Sorry R.Z. but I can't sign that one.

I do agree with you in general that "you cannot have too many pro gun laws", but I think if we got hypothetical enough and kept a simple "pro" and "anti" categorization, I might find a "pro" law you might not agree with too!
Old July 3, 2008, 05:36 AM   #4
blume357

I humbly dissagree.... I think you should have the choice

to open carry or not. When I visited VA a while back I did both... the screwy part about that state's law is you have to open carry in a bar or place that serves drinks...

Even if my state (S.C.) had open carry I would conceal most of the time...but it would be good to have the choice at times.
Old July 3, 2008, 05:54 AM   #5
SilentHitz

MS has a real goofy law, open carry is legal, but you have to have a CCW to legally open carry... like I said, goofy.

I like the option of open carry, but I personally wouldn't practice it. I like the element of surprise, and don't want every Tom dick and Harry knowing I'm armed. JMO

http://k5fv.com/
Old July 3, 2008, 06:06 AM   #6
ImDisaster

Open carry is generally a bad idea because, 1. An visible gun is a gun that could be grabbed. 2. Many people are uncomfortable with guns and you will constantly be shunned and questioned. You will have lots of encounters with LEO's.

There are places for open carry....walking in the woods for example....working as security. But in general, keep it concealed.
Old July 3, 2008, 08:23 AM   #7
The Meatman

+1 for too many hassles from LEO.
"Are you guys ready? Let's Roll" Todd Beamer, Flight 93.
Old July 3, 2008, 08:48 AM   #8
REELZARUBA

dont really want to open carry either, but would be nice not worry about losing chl because the wind blew my shirt open or my gun printed through my shirt. how about a few laws for the gun owner, why give the folks any more reason to hassle a gun owner, just cause my cars will go 140mph does not mean I drive that away. Let the people be the judgement of that one
Old July 3, 2008, 09:36 AM   #9
woad_yurt

If I simply had to use my carry piece, I'd rather use it with the element of surprise on my side. Exposing one's situation to the scrutiny of a possible opponent is a big tactical mistake. Open carry gives 'em a chance to think.
Old July 3, 2008, 12:37 PM   #10
floydster

I live in Minn also and never open carry, always concealed, no questions--
no problems, and that's the way it should be, thanks.
Floydster
Old July 3, 2008, 12:41 PM   #11
Recon7

This is a petition about a personal freedom, not a poll about how you prefer to carry.

I OC occasionaly because I don't have my ccw yet. Wifey now wants me to get my ccw with the election approaching I have never had any problems while OC, A funny look occasionaly, but no big deal. I understand the tactical importance of concealing your weapon, but the law should not force you to.

REELZARUBA, do you want signatures from out of state? I'm not going to lie and say I am a TX resident, but if the petition is just to show support I'll sign. If so where do I sign?
Old July 3, 2008, 01:39 PM   #12
djmyers

I just began OC'ing a few weeks ago as it is legal in Washington State. It simply gives me an option on how I carry in the warmer months. When the cooler/colder months arrive I will begin to carry CC as before. First time I OC'ed I was terrified, made 5 stops in town and one being a Pizza Joint. Had no confrontations nor stares whatsoever. I OC using a K&D Holster Eagle Defender OWB which holds my SP101 high and tight a long side of my waist at the 3:30 position. I never OC with a "In your face attitude".

I think a long these lines. Back in the day, we are talking back in the mid 1800's when Cattleman carried openly coming into town for a beer or picking up supplies do you think they worried about becoming a target? I don't but that is my own opinion just something to think about. I carry with this analogy in mind. I just don't think a perp is going to be scouring the aisles of Walmart looking for someone who is OC'ing just my opinion.

The bottom line is this "I" feel quite comfortable OC'ing...

I strongly recommend checking out www.opencarry.org it is a great resource of information from people with the same mindsets...

Dave
Old July 3, 2008, 02:24 PM   #13
ChicagoTex

First let me say I am a TX resident and CHL holder.

That said, I oppose the TX Open Carry initiative for one key reason:

If open carry is legalized, there will be a huge surge in locations where carrying a firearm (concealed or not) is illegal. Merchants who previously didn't know/notice/or care will now be pressed into taking sides on the issue and a lot more carry-prohibition signs are gonna go up.

I don't think armed citizens in fewer places is an improvement.
Old July 3, 2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Van55

Quote:
When I visited VA a while back I did both... the screwy part about that state's law is you have to open carry in a bar or place that serves drinks...
You do have the option not to carry at all in Virginia establishments that sell liquor for on-premises consumption..... The General Assembly voted down a change in the law to permit concealed carry in bars this last year. I am not sure why.
Old July 3, 2008, 03:01 PM   #15
Yankee Traveler

"I humbly dissagree.... I think you should have the choice "

+1

"MS has a real goofy law, open carry is legal, but you have to have a CCW to legally open carry... like I said, goofy."

Thats great! You have to have a permit to carry - open or concealed!!

"There are places for open carry....walking in the woods for example....working as security. But in general, keep it concealed."

Excellent! In general...but good to have the choice if needed.

"dont really want to open carry either, but would be nice not worry about losing chl because the wind blew my shirt open or my gun printed through my shirt. how about a few laws for the gun owner, why give the folks any more reason to hassle a gun owner, just cause my cars will go 140mph does not mean I drive that away. Let the people be the judgement of that one"

+1

"This is a petition about a personal freedom, not a poll about how you prefer to carry."

"If open carry is legalized, there will be a huge surge in locations where carrying a firearm (concealed or not) is illegal. Merchants who previously didn't know/notice/or care will now be pressed into taking sides on the issue and a lot more carry-prohibition signs are gonna go up."

There is that...But it's all about the choice. I like the idea of open carry only if you are a concealed permit holder, Keeps at least some of the riff raff out.
Old July 3, 2008, 05:08 PM   #16
FLA2760

Here in FL there is a petition for open carry going around. I CCW and will continue to do so; however under current law if any portion of your gun should inadvertently show you could get in trouble. If open carry were adopted here I think that would eliminate that problem.
Old July 3, 2008, 05:59 PM   #17
nobanforme

In Utah I have the choice to open carry or conceal carry. It's nice to have that freedom to choose. I do both depending on my mood and I have never been harassed by a LEO. I think it's a mindset thing for me I've carried everyday of my life from 1981 until today I don't plan on changing that now.

R
Old July 3, 2008, 06:06 PM   #18
HK123

Quote:
Here in FL there is a petition for open carry going around. I CCW and will continue to do so; however under current law if any portion of your gun should inadvertently show you could get in trouble. If open carry were adopted here I think that would eliminate that problem.
That's my concern too. You are not allowed to show the outline of a gun. So what if you bend over and oops the grip pokes out. if someone could ID it as a gun you are in trouble. There's no "oh but I didn't pull it out" or "oh well, it was always under my shirt". The idea is nobody should be able to tell what it is.

I hate that...can't always keep it from poking out or whatnot.
Old July 3, 2008, 06:08 PM   #19
varoadking

Open Carry = John Wayne Syndrome

IMHO & YMMV
Old July 3, 2008, 06:12 PM   #20
HK123

Honestly I don't know how many people would take advantage of open carry at all. There seems to be a lot of fear, but how many of you who live in an open carry state regularly see random people walking around with a gun on their side?

I'm betting very few.
Old July 4, 2008, 12:08 AM   #21
maqueswell

+1 ChicagoTex

I would rather carry concealed. There are several reasons in this thread that would support my decision.
Old July 4, 2008, 01:04 AM   #22
Heepstress
Registration in progress

When I lived in NC (OC state), I occasionally saw people who chose to open carry. Nobody paid much attention to them, even in places like Wal-Mart. The people didn't have any type of attitude other than "normal person" and didn't attract attention.

OC isn't an option in SC, at least not yet. Not sure if I'd open carry, but I'd like to have the option.

If that TX petition is open to out-of-staters, I'd sign.
Old July 4, 2008, 01:19 AM   #23
freakshow10mm

I respectfully disagree with ChicagoTex. MI is open carry. We don't have the John Wayne syndrome. Our no carry places didn't increase. I guess TX being gun friendly is a joke.

How is concealed carry a surprise defense? All the armies in the world don't train their soldiers to patrol with concealed arms. Surprise is an OFFensive tactic, not a defensive one.
Old July 4, 2008, 02:22 AM   #24
ChicagoTex

Quote:
I guess TX being gun friendly is a joke.
It's my experience that most people who don't live in Texas have extremely outdated ideas about what it's like down here (or those ideas are based solely on the extremely rural areas). Particularly where gun-friendliness and "redneck" lifestyle is concerned I find most parts of Oklahoma to be much more analagous to peoples' ideas of Texas than the Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, or Corpus Christi areas (there are probably more notables, I'm forgetting).

I don't honestly think Texas "feels" much more gun-friendly than most of the outer suburbs of Chicago, though the laws themselves are much friendlier (for now).

I certainly don't feel "welcome" to carry my gun anywhere around here, but since it's concealed, it's a non-issue.
Old July 4, 2008, 02:56 AM   #25
Sturmgewehre

I can't believe you guys wouldn't support open carry.

Let's hide our 2nd Amendment rights away. Let's not show people how many we number and how positive we are in the community. Let's give in to the idiots that think guns are evil or are taboo. Let's reinforce the notion that guns are evil, and should be out of sight.

If you don't support the carrying of firearms, open or concealed, you're anti-gun and anti-2nd Amendment in my book. I've never understood the notion that guns are evil, dirty, taboo, or that their presence invites crime (the most absurd notion thus far).

Let's have freedom of speech, as long as no one can hear it. It makes perfect sense.

:barf: