The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 20, 2015, 07:46 AM   #1
BumbleBug

Rem Mod 7 action conversion for 6PPC

Brownell has a great deal on blemished Rem mod 7 actions. These are set-up for .223/.300 BO.

Can this action have the bolt face opened up safely for the .220 Russian family of cases? Will the ejector still work & is there a Rem style extractor available?

TIA...

...bug
Old May 20, 2015, 03:38 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Do you have the diameter of the 5.56 mm at its base and the Russian family of .220 cartridges?
Old May 20, 2015, 04:08 PM   #3
BumbleBug

The normal head dia for the .223 is .378". The .220 Russian case head dia measures .441" which is .063" larger.

I've seen several examples where a smith has taken a Rem 700 SA bolt with a standard .473 case head & create an insert to reduce the bolt face ring & silver soldered it into place. The extraction problem is then solved by installing a Sako style extractor.

My question is, why couldn't a Remington small action bolt face be opened up to fit the .441 case head & use a simple ring type extractor.
Old May 21, 2015, 01:00 AM   #4
Scorch

Yes, you can if you know how (or know someone who knows how). You can open up the bolt face to accept .473" head size cartridges, or whatever size you want. You can install a Sako or AR-15 extractor.
Old May 21, 2015, 07:47 AM   #5
BumbleBug

Thank you Scorch

It seems like opening up the bolt ring wouldn't be a big deal for the middle size case. But I was wondering if a large ring Remington extractor could be shortened or perhaps an after market is available that would snap into place? It would be a lot less cost & machining than installing a spring loaded Sako or AR extractor. Personally, I've never had a problem with Rem extractors either the riveted or snap-in type.

Thanks for your responses.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:13 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

OK, opening a bolt face isn't hard. My concern would be to find a Remington style extractor to put in it. I would prefer a Remington for the very reason that installing a Sako or claw type extractor defeats the gas block system of the Remington bolt design.

In the event of a case failure, the bolt head is supposed to expand within the breech to seal it. Milling the groove in the bolt for a Sako claw type extractor defeats that design. Gases from the failed case blows back towards the user. No bueno.

So, find a Remington type extractor that will work and if you do, then go ahead and get the conversion done.

BTW, I learned to do that bolt modification at school and only did it to have the experience. I wouldn't have done it otherwise but if a customer wants something and you can't convince the customer otherwise, then do it. It's extra ducats in your pocket.