The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1
DryFire45

Rookie reassurance

Hey guys/gals im brand new to the reloading scene and looking for a little feedback on what ive done so far. I tend to be somewhat overly cautious so id appreciate some reassurance from some veterans. Ive only loaded a handful and have not tested them at the range yet. I will be as specific as possible.

So far I have loaded 20 rounds. I use a Lee 4 hole turret press set up for 9mm with all 4 slots being used and the last station being a factory crimp die. I'm loading berrys 115gr copper plated round nose(.356) on top of a charge of accurate no7. My Lee manual states the start grains for that intended finished cartridge is 5.7gr(never exceed 6.7) and the correct auto disc being .37..im not 100% sure but my scale consistently reads 5.3gr with that disc. I loaded them to an OAL of 1.50/1.51, minimum being 1.40, in mixed head stamp brass with CCI 500 primers. What do you guys think about these finished rounds? My intentions were for a mild range target round. All responses are appreciated.
Old October 27, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2
wogpotter

Its going to be wimpy as its below the minimum. It'll probably be dirty for the same reason.
Mid range will be 1/2 way between MIN & MAX, by definition.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 27, 2014, 06:53 PM   #3
DryFire45

Other than a light charge, how does everything else sound? Also to be a tad more specific, im loading for a glock 26.
Old October 27, 2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Shotgun Slim

Go by what your scale tells you for weight . The auto disc will throw different charges from lot to lot so use the one that gives the right weight. If your .37 is 5.3 and you want 5.7 then you will have to change the disc. If the lighter charge runs the gun and you like it for recoil and accuracy then by all means use it,but expect AA #7 to be a little dirty,as mentioned.
Old October 27, 2014, 08:05 PM   #5
reddog81

9mm with OAL of 1.5 doesn't sound right. Off the top of my head I believe 9mm is usually around 1.1 to 1.2.
Old October 27, 2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Okcafe86

^^^^what he said
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old October 27, 2014, 08:11 PM   #7
DryFire45

Excuse me that was a typo. I meant 1.15. Good catch, I didnt notice until you mentioned it.
Old October 27, 2014, 08:15 PM   #8
AFK

It sounds like you are well on your way and kudos to you for asking and thinking about what you are doing. The way I do things is to work up a load for a gun. I usually start just above minimum and make loads every .2 -.3 grains higher until I get just under max depending on the caliber. As suggested, go by your scale not the what the disc "should" be. Also as stated 1.5 sounds a little long. I load my 115 gr FMJ to 1.11
Old October 27, 2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Gadawg88

Welcome.
When working up a new load, start at the minimum charge weight and work up in small increments, say 0.2 grains toward the max charge. I usually stop just shy of max. Load 5 rounds at each step and keep them segregated and marked. Plastic zip loc type bags work nice. Take them to the range and shoot them from a supported hold. Mark your shots and find out which batch gives you best accuracy and proper function. Should have mentioned first, before you start droping powder you need to determine the OAL that works in your gun with the specific bullet you are using. The published OAL in the manual is just a suggestion. It may not work for your gun, particularly if they did not use the exact same bullet. Even bullets of the same type and weight can have slightly different profiles. If you are not familiar with the plunk test, google it and use it to set your OAL with a dummy round. Once you have that move on to dropping powder as described above. Use the rounds you have already made to do the plunk test and make sure they feed properly. You may find that they will feed ok, but may not cycle your gun well due to the light charge. Even if they do, it is unlikely that they will be the most accurate. Only proper load development will tell. Be safe and good luck.
Old October 27, 2014, 08:28 PM   #10
chris in va

The Accurate Powder PDF states a 115gr Berry's RNDS with AA#7 is 7.0-8.2 grains. You mentioned a 'copper plated' bullet which is in line with Berry's construction.

You need to make absolutely sure they are plated and not jacketed. Big difference.

Your load is severely undercharged and probably won't cycle the action. Don't shoot these.
Old October 27, 2014, 08:39 PM   #11
DryFire45

I have made dummy rounds with different OAL. 1.15 fits my chamber and magazines. Its above min but below max according to testing and my manual. Ive seen the AA#7 pdf but it is drastically different from my Lee manual. The pdf says 7.0--8.0 grains but my Lee manual says 5.7--6.7 grains. That came from the 115 grain copper plated section in the book. Being so different between the 2 sources for recommended charges, im not sure which information to use.
Old October 27, 2014, 08:41 PM   #12
chris in va

I tend to trust the powder manufacturer's load data. Because, well...they made it.

Here's the thing. Plated has to be loaded using lead bullet data, and my Lyman manual shows a 147gr over 6.3-7.1. Now if a bullet 32grains heavier requires that much, you can bet a lighter bullet would require considerably more powder to reliably cycle the slide.

Unfortunately my manual doesn't show AA#7 in the lighter lead bullets so I can't cross reference what something closer to 115gr should be. Apparently it's not recommended for the lighter pills as it only shows up with 147 grainers.

Last edited by chris in va; October 27, 2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old October 27, 2014, 09:06 PM   #13
DryFire45

I read about alot of ppl using lead bullet data and also see alot using mid range jacketed bullet data. My manual also shows 115gr and 147gr copper plated data to be identical. Ill post a picture of the page in my manual im using for reference.
Old October 27, 2014, 09:09 PM   #14
DryFire45

First picture is off the data im using. Second picture is to show how the manual is laid out.
Old October 27, 2014, 09:35 PM   #15
chris in va

Well here's what you do then. Try a few you loaded already and if they cycle the slide and eject a respectable distance, then by all means use that load.

Get a chronograph yet?
Old October 27, 2014, 09:50 PM   #16
DryFire45

No not yet. Its my next purchase though.
Old October 27, 2014, 10:03 PM   #17
chris in va

It's an amazing piece of reloading equipment. I didn't get one until three years later and it's a real eye opener to find out what your reloads are actually doing vs what the books say.

I loaded some 223's for my AR thinking they'd spit out at 2900. Nope, more like 2650.
Old October 27, 2014, 10:07 PM   #18
DryFire45

Have any recommendations? Also from your perspective does it seem like im headed the right direction? Anything I should do different?
Old October 27, 2014, 10:31 PM   #19
Reloader2

I started loading the Berry's 115 grain RN to 1.110 OAL. No issues with these in three different pistols. The last several hundred have been loaded to 1.115.
Berry's site recommends an OAL of 1.130 for these. Since this is just plinking ammo for me I will stay at the lower to mid range loads with these. So far they seem to function through my pistols fine.
Old October 27, 2014, 11:33 PM   #20
DryFire45

What is the best route to go if your data sources all list something different?
Old October 27, 2014, 11:43 PM   #21
skizzums

go ahead and give them a try, your not going to hurt anything going that much under minimum. it may or may not cycle your action, but I bet it will. I like to play around with severely undercharged loads and find that you can go 20% under a 9mm min and still get reliable cycle in most of my guns. just depends on how tight your springs are. but wither way, your not going to hurt anything whether it cycles or not. your OAL is perfect for that bullet BTW. on my 115 plated loads and jacketed rounds I always stay about 1.115 lie you did, on most hollowpoints it will get down to 1.110 and under depending on your bullet.

also, you don't use lead data for plated, although you can, you start midway in the lead and on the min of the jacketed. the only concern with plated is shearing the plating off which I haven't been able to do even with jacketed data.

go try your bullets and have fun. I hope they cycle your weapon, if not bump it up some. no biggie. most likely it will cycle fine but be slightly less accurate than desired
Old October 27, 2014, 11:45 PM   #22
Nick_C_S

Looks like I'm a little late to the party but I'll chime in.

It sounds like you're on your way. Cool cool!

I didn't read every post, but what I did all sounds good and I'm seeing reputable names responding.

All I want to add is my take on your bullet/powder/purpose combination. . .

I know in these times of shortages (especially powder), we load what we can find. AA7 is an awfully slow powder for a 115g bullet, especially when the purpose is a "mild range target round." Ideally, the powder of choice for this bullet/purpose would be AA2 (sticking with the same brand - there are other great choices, of course).

Now I know you're a new loader, and the last thing I - or any other responsible loader - would want to do is push you. That said, in order for AA7 to run in its sweet spot with a 115g slug, you're going to need to load it up fairly hot - when you're comfortable doing so.

It's fine to learn with a slow powder because it gives a lot of margin for error. But at some point, I'd recommend switching to a faster powder, or a heavier bullet. AA7 would prefer a 147g bullet, actually. As a perspective from a 30 year veteran loader, if I were loading full power 115's, I would use AA5 - I wouldn't even go with AA7. It's that slow.

At any rate, you're not doing anything "wrong." I'm just saying your bullet/powder/purpose combination is out of balance. And with time, I'm sure you're work all that out.

Have fun loading and be safe.
Old October 28, 2014, 12:25 AM   #23
DryFire45

Thanks for the responses everyone. I feel better about it now knowing im headed the right direction. As far as my powder of choice goes, its what I could get my hands on. I only had 3 powder options locally. Those being AA#7, blue dot and titegroup. I chose AA#7 for 2 reasons. #1 being I had data in my manual that coincided with the rest of my components and #2 being from, what ive read, titegroup had too tight of a margin of error for a beginner like myself. I found very little info on blue dot so I didnt really consider it at all.
Old October 28, 2014, 12:30 AM   #24
skizzums

dude....get that titegroup if you can.. my fav 9mm powder for 125 and under. that and hs-6 are my fav's. another great thing about titegroup is you can get a couple thousand rounds out of a pound using 125gr.
Old October 28, 2014, 12:45 AM   #25
DryFire45

I can snag some tomorrow maybe. My supply guy had I think 3 1lb bottles left. I didnt get it because I didnt have data for it with 115's.