The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old April 17, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
D_Anton

NFA process for suppressor???

I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS tactical (308) and I am having an uncontrollable urge to strap a suppressor on it. So I come to you all today asking what steps to take to get one (I live in Texas). I turn 21 next month so I know I'll be eligible age wise, but what else will I need to do? Any suppressor suggestion will also be greatly appreciated.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Deja vu

Its not too hard. Just go to a dealer that sales suppressors and they will usually help with the whole process.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old April 17, 2013, 08:43 PM   #3
9mm

I heard these were the best http://www.advanced-armament.com/

I am too looking at the 308 Rem 700 model. Plus this silencer works on 556/308/22/9mm because of the thread size
Old April 17, 2013, 08:56 PM   #4
weblance

Find a dealer who has a suppressor in stock, or can order the one you want. You will then purchase the suppressor. The dealer will fill in the serial number, and info(Make, caliber, model) and all his info, and should assist you with filling in all your info, in duplicate, on two forms. He will(Mine did) supply you with 2 fingerprint cards. Get your fingerprints done in ink, get 2 passport size, color photos of your face, have your Chief of Police, or County Sheriff sign your forms(local background check). Put all this in the envelope you got from the dealer, include a $200 check to the BATFE. Mail it to the Atlanta address, and forget about it for 6 months. When approved, the paperwork will come back to the dealer, and he will contact you to come pick up your device, and paperwork. If you have any criminal history at all... dont waste your time.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5
D_Anton

Weblance- by history do you mean arrests (I have 2) or convictions (I have none)?
Old April 17, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Theohazard

The process can be different depending on where you are; the process weblance described above only works if your local law enforcement will sign off. If they won't (like in my neck of the woods), then you need to purchase the suppressor through a revocable trust. In many ways the trust is superior; it doesn't require photos or fingerprints and it allows more than one person to be on it, meaning more than one person can possess the NFA item. Also, you can designate a person to receive your suppressors upon the event of your death. On my NFA trust I am the settlor, I am the first trustee, my wife is the second trustee, and my father-in-law will receive my suppressors in the event that both my wife and I die. The trust can be amended at any time, but I recommend you get advice from a lawyer or other qualified person to do that.

The main problem is getting a trust. Up here (where almost nobody can get a sign-off from local law enforcement) most dealers make you get your own trust, which can run in the hundreds of dollars. I'm spoiled because my LGS offers a trust for free and it's super easy to set up.

As for the suppressor itself, that's a different issue. I'm a fan of AAC and I think the most versatile rifle suppressor on the market is the SDN-6. It's a quick-detach, full-auto-rated .308 suppressor that is optimized for subsonic 300 Blackout use (or any other 30 caliber subsonic round). Most people (including myself) won't ever shoot it on a full-auto, but that tells you how strong it is; it will easily handle any cartridge from .30-06 on down. I got one for my 5.56 AR because it's almost as quiet as a 5.56 suppressor but it's so versatile.

If you only plan to use it on that one rifle, I'd go with the AAC Hunter; it's the same as the SDN-6 but it has 5/8x24 threads (same as your rifle) and it will be lighter, cheaper, and slightly more accurate because it's direct-thread instead of quick-detach.

If you never plan to use subsonic ammo, go with the AAC Cyclone; it's a larger thread-on .308 suppressor that will be slightly quieter than other two with supersonic loads, but louder with subsonic ones.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:10 PM   #7
David Hineline

You are close to 21 but at 18 on you could have bought any NFA item from an individual just not a dealer, or made them yourself except for machineguns.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:28 PM   #8
D_Anton

But where would I find an individual selling a suppressor? It's hard finding a class III dealer as it is.

Last edited by D_Anton; April 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hineline
You are close to 21 but at 18 on you could have bought any NFA item from an individual just not a dealer, or made them yourself except for machineguns.
The BATFE WILL NOT approve a transfer for someone under the age of 21. Get caught with an NFA item without the transfer paperwork and its an instant 30 years at Club Fed. You want to tell me how you can LEGALLY buy, and own an NFA item at 18?

D_Anton... I dont know about arrests, but no conviction. Sounds like a good subject for a new thread.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:51 PM   #10
D_Anton

Weblance- I guess I might just start one and close this one since I'm probably going to open a trust. Thanks everyone.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:14 PM   #11
GoingQuiet

"You want to tell me how you can LEGALLY buy, and own an NFA item at 18? "

There is one way.

They buy part of a firearm business.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:16 PM   #12
tmorone

I've done a significant amount of business with silenced america, they're a TX company. The owner (Scott) will make the process easy to understand and usually about a cheap as it gets.

They made the first one so easy for me I went back again. And again. And again. And then one more time.

More specifically, for your application would be well suited for an AAC SDN-6. Have one on the same rifle and it's AWESOME!

*I don't have any affiliation with that company, they're just good people that sell good products for a great price. Happy customer is all.*
Old April 25, 2013, 10:52 PM   #13
David Hineline

People at 18 can make/register their own NFA items. People at 18 can buy/own NFA firearms if they come from a non licensed person.

People have to be 21 to buy NFA from a dealer.

Same applies to title one handguns and pistol gripped shotguns. 18 to make or own, 21 to buy from licensed dealer.

I can explain it to you over and over, but I can never learn it for you.
Old April 26, 2013, 08:19 PM   #14
Lark

Quote:
The BATFE WILL NOT approve a transfer for someone under the age of 21.
What Hineline said.
Quote:
Get caught with an NFA item without the transfer paperwork and its an instant 30 years at Club Fed.
Actually it is 10 years/$10,000. The 30 to life is an enhancement for committing crimes with title ii firearms.
Quote:
You want to tell me how you can LEGALLY buy, and own an NFA item at 18?
Fill out the ATF form 4 and send it in to the BATFE. In block #13 you check no for being 21 and over. Explain on a separate piece paper what you are 18-20. When the examiner sees that the seller is not a licensed dealer and the rest of the form is filled out correctly, the form will be approved.

weblance, This stuff is not so hard you need to just make it up. Just say you don't know or say nothing instead. Take a look here for more info; http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps4...005/p53004.pdf

D_Anton, check out the online auctions like Guns America and Gunbroker.

lark
Old April 27, 2013, 01:40 PM   #15
weblance

Lark... I wasnt making it up, it was how I interpreted the documents I read. I was wrong with a few facts. I still dont believe the BATFE will approve a transfer for someone under 21. Everywhere I look, it is stated that you must be 21. No where does it say anything about buying from a non licensed dealer. But, it doesnt merit an argument about this. The Firearms Regulations Reference Guide you linked is an excellent reference. I will probably read most of it(bookmarked).
Old April 27, 2013, 04:59 PM   #16
Lark

Quote:
Lark... I wasnt making it up, it was how I interpreted the documents I read.
What documents did you read? If you are going to claim the ATF is not going to approve a transfer of a silencer to anyone under 21, then it was not any government document.
Quote:
I was wrong with a few facts. I still dont believe the BATFE will approve a transfer for someone under 21.
Believe it all you want, but you are not promoting firearm ownership by telling people they can't own certain firearms unless they are 21 and over. Can you show just one person who was denied a transfer due to being 18-20 years old?
Quote:
Everywhere I look, it is stated that you must be 21. No where does it say anything about buying from a non licensed dealer.
No accurate document or law I have ever read stated a person needed to be 21 to own a silencer. Can you show me an authoritative document that supports what you claim?
Quote:
But, it doesnt merit an argument about this.
I think it does.

lark
Old April 27, 2013, 05:24 PM   #17
Lark

Quote:
You want to tell me how you can LEGALLY buy, and own an NFA item at 18?
The way the US Code works is that anything is legal unless there is a law against it. Check out title 18 chapter 44 section 922, unlawful acts.
Quote:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver— (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
This means an 18-20 year old can buy a long gun from a licensed dealer but not anything else including a silencer.
Title 27 CFR part 479.86;
Quote:
§ 479.86 Action on application.
The Director will consider a completed and properly executed application, Form 4 (Firearms), to transfer a firearm.
I have never heard of anyone being denied a transfer as long as the forms were filled out correctly. Have you? If there are no federal laws prohibiting possession of a silencer by an 18 year old person, then the BATFE is going to approve the transfer.

Opinions vary by quoting the actual law is much more impressive than using bold text or caps.

lark
Old April 27, 2013, 06:54 PM   #18
SemperFly

Texas

Check out the guys at silencershop.com. They are in Texas, have good prices, and also have a great how-to on the purchase process.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:36 PM   #19
weblance

I said I was wrong. I also said I interpreted something from what I read. What do you want? An apology? That will NEVER happen. Get over it, and lets move on... It sure is nice to have such an incredible resource of amazingly correct knowledge, such as yourself, available to correct someone in such an efficient manner, when they make a mistake.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:41 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Lets say the question is answered...
Closed Thread