The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2008, 12:17 PM   #1
playtheblues

I may have made a mistake

I fully disassembled my '51, and I'm not fully sure I can get it back together again. I haven't tried reassembly yet, and hope I can do it. I may need a tutorial! I went by the link provided a few days back, but it still looks sure enough complicated!
Bill in SC
Old August 21, 2008, 01:08 PM   #2
mykeal

It's not a mistake, it's an experience!

I don't recall what link you're referring to. If it's not this one, I'd suggest taking a look at it first: The High Road - mec's instructions on Colt revolver disassembly/assembly

If that was the link already, well, just take your time and it'll come out all right.
Old August 21, 2008, 01:44 PM   #3
playtheblues

That's the link I am going by. I have everything cleaned, and am gradually starting to get it back together. The link makes it sound so easy, but never having taken one down that far, there are LOTS of small pieces that are confusing. I'll keep y'all posted. I'm sure I may need some reassurance.
BB in SC
Old August 21, 2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

Wish you lots of luck with that, but if you are like I am, you are eventually going to see your local gunsmith.

Go with your head down, and own up to how the gun got that way, and don't give him the excuse that your kid took it apart, because HE KNOWS.

I won't go into how I know this.
Old August 21, 2008, 02:23 PM   #5
playtheblues

NOSIREE! I WILL get it! It is important to "get to know" this gun as I will be shooting it and cleaning it regularly. Right now, I am struggling with getting the bolt back in correctly. Between the link posted, and this link:
https://www.vtigunparts.com/ab224000...al%2C+%2E44cal
I'll get 'er done. I just may need to get some tips as I go.
Bill in SC
Old August 21, 2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Guardian Angel Mors

Howdy,
maybe I'm disassembling/reassembling my Colts for too many years but I wonder where is the difficult to reassembly a '51...

Can I help in any way?
Old August 21, 2008, 03:00 PM   #7
playtheblues

Certainly not difficult in any manner to one who "maybe I'm disassembling/reassembling my Colts for too many years but I wonder where is the difficult to reassembly a '51..."
This is the first time I have disassembled one, and I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to the disassembly. I am, hopefully mechanically inclined enough to get it done. I like puzzles! :-)
BB in SC
Old August 21, 2008, 03:10 PM   #8
tplumeri

send it to me and i'll re assemble it for you.
I'll even range test it!
Old August 21, 2008, 06:03 PM   #9
long rider

YEAH ME TWO

What i used to do with a new pole i was not to
sure about, i would take it apart one peace at
a time and make a drawing of it, and when it
came time to asemble i would just revert back
to my drawing bingo all back together again,
so it pays to make your owen diagram.
Old August 21, 2008, 06:21 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice to see so much support here as there's

No shortage of volunteers to play with another man's revolver. Maybe we should send it around the country and keep a log book to show what we did with it. After about 6 months, it can go home.
Old August 21, 2008, 06:24 PM   #11
long rider

Thats a good idear, i could take it to the muzzle stuffers
they could play with it to
Old August 21, 2008, 07:56 PM   #12
Hawg

Bolt and trigger go in together after the hammer and hand are installed.
Old August 22, 2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Guardian Angel Mors

Quote:
Certainly not difficult in any manner to one who "maybe I'm disassembling/reassembling my Colts for too many years but I wonder where is the difficult to reassembly a '51..."
This is the first time I have disassembled one, and I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to the disassembly. I am, hopefully mechanically inclined enough to get it done. I like puzzles! :-)
BB in SC
OK Ok... you're a newbie in this "duty" but one of the nicest features in all Colts ( at least from the Walker to the SAA ) is that they're so mechanically simple that everyone can learn to disassembly / reassembly in minutes just paying a bit of attention the first time.
I think you will be able to reassembly and enjoy your '51 without any help, every piece has his own place and you will see that is quite hard to mis- reassembly them.
Let us know in how much time you did the job!

Old August 22, 2008, 12:32 PM   #14
playtheblues

Well, I'm still struggling with it darnitall!!!!!!!
Bill in SC
Old August 22, 2008, 12:40 PM   #15
Guardian Angel Mors

OMG!!
SASS L #71985 RO II
Old August 22, 2008, 07:50 PM   #16
Hawg

Hey if it'll make you feel any worse, I tore down and reassembled my first SAA when I was 10. Had it back together in about ten minutes.
Old August 23, 2008, 01:22 AM   #17
Guardian Angel Mors

Quote:
Hey if it'll make you feel any worse, I tore down and reassembled my first SAA when I was 10. Had it back together in about ten minutes.
Yesterday 07:40 PM
Indeed....
SASS L #71985 RO II
Old August 23, 2008, 10:35 AM   #18
playtheblues

Hush!!!!!!!!!

I may have to get a photo tutorial! keep in mind, I'm not at it 24/7. I haven't touched it since yesterday. Unfortunately, my card reader just took a dive, and I'm unable to post pics.
BB
Old August 23, 2008, 11:22 AM   #19
Guardian Angel Mors

I could help you posting a picture of the exploded view of the '51... just let me check how to do it...
[IMG][/IMG]

that should work.... let's hope...
SASS L #71985 RO II
Old August 23, 2008, 12:17 PM   #20
Hawg

Bill, it's simple and I'm not being condescending. Once you've done it a few times you'll see how simple it really is. First install the hand assembly on the hammer. Slide the hammer/hand assembly in from the bottom. Make sure the hand spring goes up into the slot with the hand. Line up the hole for the hammer screw and install it. Once it's installed check to make sure it works as it's supposed to. Now drop the bolt into it's hole with the legs next to the hammer and install the bolt screw. I like to leave it loose until the trigger is installed. The trigger goes in next to the bolt. Once the trigger screw is installed tighten both screws. Next is the bolt/trigger spring. One leg operates the bolt, the other one the trigger. Now install the trigger guard. Now for the hammer spring. This gives some people fits. If you try to put the narrow end under the hammer like it goes you may have a hard time getting the screw started because the spring won't lay flat against the hole. Don't put the end under the hammer until after the screw is started. Start it a couple of turns then swing the spring around and the end should easily slide under the hammer. Once it's tight and everything is checked for function the back strap and grips are installed. One more thing in case you don't know. Most guns until the wedge starts to get worn the wedge should barely protrude on the side opposite from the screw. Drive it in too deep and you'll bind the cylinder.
Old August 23, 2008, 01:40 PM   #21
Guardian Angel Mors

HH, I wouldn't be able to explain it better! Maybe I would have done it in italian.....
SASS L #71985 RO II