The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 27, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Updated Uberti.........

Ya'll may recall that I bought a Uberti Flat Top Target recently. Two objections I voiced were the knurled base-pin screw and button head ejector rod. Well, took care of that:

Original knurled head base pin screw:

And, with replacement screw from Brownell's:

And, the button head ejector rod:

And, the replacement crescent head ejector rod:

Suits me a little better now. Now to do something about that front sight! But that may be down the road apiece.

Bob Wright
Old August 27, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Malamute

What don't you like about the front sight?

I've been wanting that sort of sight for a couple of my Rugers. I've never seen one up close like your picture shows.

I have a bullseye type ejector rod on one of my Rugers. I like it. What would you take for the rod?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old August 27, 2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I believe the front sight is nickel silver. It catches highlights and makes precision shooting difficult.

I got fairly good groups with it, but could do better with an all black front sight. I'm either going to have my gunsmith make a carbon steel blade and blue it, or replace the whole thing with a Ruger Ramp. The Ruger ramp is my ideal front sight, as per this one on my Colt .357:

They just look better, and provide a better sight picture, to me.

Bob Wright

P.S. Sorry, the rod is already gone, spoken for before it got cold.
Old August 27, 2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Malamute

I think I can get a Ruger ramp. I'd swap if you'd like. Let me know what height and I'll see how close I can get.

I agree about the silver blade, I'd probably do a sourdough type blade in steel and brass faced, or red insert like a Smith.

I've looked at original Colt flat top targets, and taken measurments to have sights made, but haven't seen the Uberti version. Would save some time to get one ready made rather than make one. I think Brownells have them though.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old August 27, 2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Bob Wright

I've paid good money to get those red inserts out of my Smiths!

Each of these Model 29s have plain black front sighth.

Bob Wright
Old August 27, 2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Malamute

Funny how folks like different things! I love them in poor light.

What became of the red sights? I have a couple Smiths I'd like to put reds on.

Last edited by Malamute; August 27, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old August 27, 2012, 04:47 PM   #7
FloridaVeteran

Bob - that's a really nice set of 29s. Was this photo taken after replacing all the sights? Almost looks like the bottom left one still has the red insert.

As for the Uberti, do you use lamp black on that blade while you're waiting to replace it, or just not shoot the gun?
Old August 27, 2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Bob Wright

Yep, the plain Jane one still has the red insert, for now.

I've not done anything to that sight yet, just shot it the one time, and that with some locally made range ammo.

Will get some of my handloads to try soon. I've only had that gun a little over a week!

Bob Wright
Old August 28, 2012, 10:11 AM   #9
KMAX

Good

Those are definite improvements you have made to the appearance of the Uberti. BTW, is it pronounced "oo berti" or "you berti". I hear it both ways.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old November 9, 2012, 12:41 PM   #10
szaspel

Updated Uberti

Nice photos! I also bought one of these recently, and it came with both screws in the box. Mine has an extremely light trigger pull, and I was wondering if yours was the same. I took it to a local gunsmith, and he said it was OK, but a couple of my friends who have shot it say it's scary light. I'm wondering if I should should send it back for repairs.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Bob Wright

Depends on what you call "scary light." Mine is fairly light but not too light for me. You may need a new hammer, or trigger, could be somebody has overdone a trigger job.

Did you 'smith tell you at what weight it broke? One-and-a-half to two pounds can be expected.

Bob Wright
Old November 11, 2012, 12:00 AM   #12
szaspel

No, he did not measure it. He just said that many guys would pay $200 or more for a trigger like that. I'm kinda new to revolvers, especially single action. so I didn't know what to expect. It seems very light to me. Sometimes it will go off before I'm steady on the bullseye.