The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Pump/Semi/Double/Single
Pump 24 53.33%
Semi 5 11.11%
Double 14 31.11%
Single 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1
EdInk

Pump/Semi/Double/Single

Which do you prefer?
Old July 25, 2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Depends on what you are going to do with it.
There is nothing classier than a S/S double IMO.

But, for home defense/zombie gun, everyone knows you have to have a pump 3" magnum 12 ga. with: 30 shot extended magazine, flashlight, laser, night vision scope, folding/collapsing stock, sidesaddle, sling with 50 extra rounds, pistol grip, muzzle brake that looks like a holesaw, and a vertical forearm. And it has to be painted black or camoflage with that fancy gun paint.
Anything less, and people will think you're a wimp when you show up at the range.
Old July 25, 2010, 07:05 PM   #3
hoytinak

I like a pump, nice and simple.

My HD/zombie doesn't have all that on it...guess I need to change it before I have to use it.

Old July 25, 2010, 07:13 PM   #4
oneounceload

Sorry, there's nothing simpler than a single or double gun - pumps are just cheaper than most doubles, not better; although they DO make better jack stand handles
Old July 25, 2010, 07:40 PM   #5
EdInk

....unless you consider having more than 2 shots "better."
Old July 25, 2010, 07:53 PM   #6
EdInk

That is a handsome set of furniture on that shotgun. What model is it?
Old July 25, 2010, 07:59 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
....unless you consider having more than 2 shots "better."
Or need them.......the answer was to the simplicity of a single or double over a pump - which I watch many folks short-stroke and otherwise malf when shooting clays and there is no real pressure. Doing so under life and death pressure is not the time to find that out

your sarcasm back atcha

Besides any tacky-cool guy that has watched Clint shoot one should be able to reload just as fast...........or maybe, if you shoot a pump and need more than two, you should practice more so as not to need the reload?? just saying ........................
Old July 25, 2010, 08:02 PM   #8
hoytinak

Quote:
That is a handsome set of furniture on that shotgun. What model is it?
Thanks but it's nothin' fancy, just a basic Mossburg 500.
Old July 25, 2010, 08:33 PM   #9
EdInk

It really does dress it up, though.

Nobody was knocking a double. I guess it comes down to what it's main purpose. Protection or Sport?

You can use a double (or even a single) for defense just fine. Personally, I'd rather have the extra capacity in an emergency. IMHO the average (or any) person would be less likely to short-stroke the pump than trying to reload shells into the action.
Old July 25, 2010, 08:41 PM   #10
DocDizz

For zombies I'd like a good pump (I'd REALLY like to zombie up my Nova, but barrels alone are almost as much as a Mossy or 870!). BUT, IF I had the $$, I'd be more than happy to get an Benelli or FN semi-auto "tacticool" shotgun. And the first shotgun I EVER shot was a .410 double that was something like 50 years old (I was 10). I have a soft spot for doubles, but wouldn't want to use it if I had to shoot more than 2 shells.
Old July 25, 2010, 08:54 PM   #11
darkgael

SXS

Quote:
main purpose. Protection or Sport?
Good point. Realistically, any gun that I have for Sport will certainly do for me if I have to defend my life, family, property.
The reverse is not true to a great degree, probably why I don't own any of the tacticool models. Realistically.....I'm never gonna need that stuff - I'd as soon spend the money on shotshells and components.

Nothing points like a SXS.
Pete
Old July 25, 2010, 09:07 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
I'd as soon spend the money on shotshells and components.

Nothing points like a SXS.

AMEN and HALLELUJAH!.........perfectly stated.....................(well, you forgot the targets......lol)
Old July 25, 2010, 09:09 PM   #13
headbangerJD

pump

590A1 to be exact

Old July 25, 2010, 09:47 PM   #14
EdInk

Yeah, a sporting gun CAN work defense and vice versa. They will both do a better job than the other when used for their intended purpose.

As far as NEVER needing a gun for defense (we all hope and pray not!) but I'm not psychic. I don't shoot clays, trap or hunt..... So, I guess that's why I have such little interest in O/U shotguns. I would like a SxS coach gun just to have as fun toy. Also, I think that those fully engraved English doubles are
beautifully crafted guns. If I was into just collecting, I could fancy myself
buying one.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:06 PM   #15
Hoskins

I own Pumps & Single shots...but don't have anything against any other type of shotty. Came one ace of buying a semi-auto this year for turkey season but talked myself out of it. I figured that owning (3) 12 ga Mossberg pumps all ready that I didn't need another shotgun just for the coolness & "Turkey Gun" marketed on it. I mean, it had fiber optic sights, dipped camo, etc... but I put HI-VIZ sights on my 835, got me a Primos Tight Wad choke, & I had already painted the gun myself w/ Flat Cammo paint...I figure I got a great gobbler getter already and it patterns real tight out to 40 yds (didn't try at 50).

I am a Mossberg pump guy, just because that is what I got. However, a Remington 1100...I have wanted one of those every since I was a youngin...not real reason other than the fact that my uncle had one & I fell in love with it, prob because he was my hero.

I also own (2) Mossberg 500 20 ga pumps. I think it all boils down to personal prefrence. As far as protection or hunting... 00/000 Buck is gonna devistate regardless if it comes out of a sporting, hunting, or personal protection type shotgun. Nothing wrong w/ a tacticool...if that is what someone wants.

I got one of my Marine buddy's that owns a tactical double barrel! lol Fiber optics, hand grip, weaver rail...kinda crazy to me...it looks cool as all get out, but the first thing that pops in my head is...what u gonna hunt w/ that thing...I guess it is a zombie gun like mentioned earlier...I say to each his own & plus, he don't hunt.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:38 PM   #16
Laz

LOL, I had to laugh when I voted "single" because I suspected I would be the only one. I have a couple of Remington 870s which I love and will not sell. I have three SxS of not great but OK quality, one with hammers. I have a passle of break-open single-shots which make me giggle. I luv 'em. Just got a thing for barn guns, I guess.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:55 PM   #17
Sphawley

You can never go wrong with a good pump, there a classic and reliable....love my Benelli!
Old July 26, 2010, 07:29 AM   #18
RoscoeC

I didn't vote, because you didn't have an "all of the above" option.

The question is basically flawed. For me it's pumps for HD, O/U for clays and semi-auto for bird hunting.
NRA Life Member
Old July 26, 2010, 07:43 AM   #19
Tombstonejim

I prefer O/U therefore I did not get to vote. A double is not an O/U in my opinion.
Old July 26, 2010, 08:41 AM   #20
lockedcj7

I prefer different actions for different things.

Let's see...

I've got two autos, one pump, one bolt and one SxS. I own each one for different reasons and some of them even have a given purpose.

One auto is my "meat" gun. It's my go-to gun for sporting clays, waterfowl and turkey. I also use it for deer in very tight cover and as a backup gun for doves. The other auto is a youth 20 ga. that I'm saving for my son.

I inherited the pump from my dad and I prefer it for doves. I shoot it pretty well and it's not a valuable gun and not worth selling.

I inherited the bolt gun from my wife's father. It's also not worth selling. I don't really prefer it for anything but it would be a decent loaner for turkeys.

I inherited the SxS from my grandfather and it means a lot to me. I killed my first doves and ducks with it and I prefer it for rabbits and squirrels now. It also does double-duty as a backdoor gun.

I guess the only one I don't prefer is the single and I would probably prefer an O/U for clays if I shot more often.
Old July 26, 2010, 08:43 AM   #21
EdInk

2 = double. SxS or O/U are both double barrel.
Old July 26, 2010, 09:14 AM   #22
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

All of the above.....
Old July 26, 2010, 09:21 AM   #23
knight0334

I prefer SxS doubles and singles - thats all I own, and even care to own.
Old July 26, 2010, 12:11 PM   #24
JNewell

All, depending on the purpose...
Old July 26, 2010, 12:14 PM   #25
JackL

Laz said:
Quote:
LOL, I had to laugh when I voted "single" because I suspected I would be the only one.
Now there are two. I'm the other one.

Right now I have two pumps and two singles. I like 'em all. I'd also love to have an over/under, a side-by-side, and a good 12 gauge pump (both of my current ones are 20s). I could even be persuaded to give a self-shucker a chance. Maybe I should have held out for an "all of the above" option.

But for go-anywhere utility, uncontrollable-giggling fun, and (incidentally) distinct lack of appeal to gun thieves, I like the singles best.

A wrong note played timidly is a mistake. A wrong note played boldly is an interpretation.