The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 27, 2015, 08:51 PM   #1
L2R

Life lesson in Baltimore this evening

Watching the White Sox live has been a dream for many years.
Planning to watch them at Camden Yards was planned for months.
Since it was a 6 hour drive, decided to make it a mini-vacation and see 2 games (Monday and Tuesday evening)

So I read that the Maryland police might be able to see that I had cc from NC and might pull me over just in case I was carrying.

We discussed this at some length and begrudgingly, decided I didn't want to become the poster for good citizen jailed for defying Maryland law.
So, we left our weapons at home for a one time dream come true.

They cancelled the game 10 minutes before we arrived - 30 minutes before game time.
So when we saw the police guarding the front gates, we found out the game was cancelled and downtown closed. (U of Maryland closed hours earlier due to threats. Baltimore decided to wait and see!)

EVERY taxi and bus driver had left or was leaving.
We were stranded with no idea who to trust or how to get back to the RV in college park.

Thank you Maryland putting us in harm's way while striping us of the ability to protect ourselves.

I know this is a charged issue. There are arguments on both sides. This thread was posted by a law abiding citizen who shoots IDPA, knows how to protect himself and family but got into a mess because Maryland and the major of Baltimore think they are smarter than us.

We will never return here. I know they don't care-really they didn't!
But no more traveling where they don't honor a NC CC.
Old April 27, 2015, 09:52 PM   #2
hartcreek

Just be glad that someone was watching out for you and decided that the game should not happen and something else did not happen to you because you were naked in the city.
Old April 27, 2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

I'm going to close this before it wanders into discussion of the current situation in Baltimore, which isn't relevant to TFL's mission. The general issue of states' recognition of out-of state carry permits, reciprocity between states, etc., is an important one which belongs in L&CR.