The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 13, 2014, 03:38 PM   #1
old fart

should i trade?

i have a blued police service six made in 1985, it has just very minor frecks of rust spots or some little specks of something in with the bluing on the cylinder only the frame is speck free. i've used oil 0000 wool, eraser and copper penny. i've got it to the point of it being smooth and i'm keeping it oiled. there is no pitting on the gun at all. the gun has at least 90% bluing left with just a little off at the barrel tip, and locks up solid tight when in firing position. i contacted the previous owner who admitted he kept it in a leather holster which caused the rust on the cylinder, he bought it new and said less than 2000 rds have been thru it. i can't afford a new reblue job as i'm on a fixed income and making ends meet is hard enough. my neighbor has offered me a trade, he has a taurus 65 stainless and a rossi stainless both with 4 inch barrel and he has offered me choice, he brags alot how stainless won't rust trying to get me to trade. they look good but don't lock up as tight as my service six. i love my ruger but it being blued bothers me as i got it to use in the outdoors. i keep it clean and oiled regular so no rust will appear. i've tried to take pics but the rust or whatever the frecks are is so small that it won't show them. everything on the gun is now smooth and running my fingers over the spots, nothing can be felt. i want to keep my service six but rust bothers me, if i knew it wouldn't come back i'd be ok with it, i keep it well oiled. so for those on here what would you do? if you couldn't get it reblued would you keep the ruger or trade? thanks for any help
Old July 13, 2014, 03:50 PM   #2
YARDDOG(1)

I'd keep it.. Nothing against Taurus
Y/D
Old July 13, 2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Wyosmith

Keep the Ruger
Old July 13, 2014, 04:03 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Keep it and use it. I waited ten years to come up with the spare bucks to have some otherwise nice guns reblued. Well worth doing.
Old July 13, 2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Dave Chuppa

Keep the Ruger and keep it oiled. I wouldn't reblue it.
Old July 13, 2014, 04:34 PM   #6
GaryED50

Me I'd keep the Ruger

Gary
Old July 13, 2014, 05:03 PM   #7
10-96

I would keep the Ruger as well. Taurus and Rossi have made some quality firearms, and I have yet to see a catastrophic failure on them- but lemons have slipped through the system and there have been some which fail to operate properly. Now that is entirely possible with Ruger too- but the chances of such are mighty-mighty slim. Honest folks, I'm trying real hard not to make this post sound like a Taurus/Rossi bash, and I have a Rossi J-Frame that has been trouble-free. But, I'd just a whole lot ruther put my trust into a Ruger.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 13, 2014, 05:25 PM   #8
HungryHunter

Keep the Ruger
Old July 13, 2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Sevens

I wouldn't even consider trading that Ruger for either a Rossi or a Taurus. Never, not ever.
Old July 13, 2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Rodger_p

Just curious, did you intend to ask this question again? I see that you asked for the same advice on June 11th.

Is your neighbor still pushing you to trade?
Old July 13, 2014, 07:53 PM   #11
old fart

yes he is, he's said he is gonna take them to a local shop and trade to a ruger there if i don't trade. thanks again for the advice, i will keep the ruger. since the cylinder is the only thing that has specks i've that about the do it yourself cerecote in a can. i saw youtube where a guy did a nice job. thanks again
Old July 13, 2014, 08:21 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Keep the Ruger.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 13, 2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Sevens

Quote:
yes he is, he's said he is gonna take them to a local shop and trade to a ruger there if i don't trade.
If his plan is to trade one-for-one to get a Ruger, with adding no cash on his end to make the deal happen, and do it from a local gun store...

he will fail at this plan.

That's why he wants (very much) to trade one of those two things to YOU, for your better revolver.
Old July 13, 2014, 09:10 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
should i trade?
If you have to ask, the answer is usually "no".

Quote:
my neighbor has offered me a trade, he has a taurus 65 stainless and a rossi stainless both with 4 inch barrel and he has offered me choice, he brags alot how stainless won't rust trying to get me to trade. they look good but don't lock up as tight as my service six.
"No" is still the answer.

Quote:
he's said he is gonna take them to a local shop and trade to a ruger there if i don't trade.
The gun shop won't give him anywhere near the "deal" he is trying to make with foist on you.

Quote:
he brags a lot how stainless won't rust
Stainless can indeed rust. Attached is a picture of my Stainless Charter Undercover, a couple days after it and I got drenched in a storm. Note the orange inside the ejector rod shroud, and on the back of the recoil shield.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg undercover with rust.JPG (143.2 KB, 25 views)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 14, 2014, 05:07 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
i love my ruger. I keep it clean and oiled regular so no rust will appear.
NUFF SAID!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 14, 2014, 05:10 PM   #16
gyvel

The only thing I would trade for a Taurus or Rossi is a Hi-Point.

Anything else, NO.
Old July 15, 2014, 12:18 PM   #17
Whirlwind06

Get one of those Birchwood Casey blueing pens. Not perfect but will keep the rust from coming back as quick.
Old July 15, 2014, 02:48 PM   #18
gwpercle

My daddy gave me some great advice years ago when I was young and foolish He said "son don't ever sell or trade a gun you like, it will be a mistake you will regret." He was right.
That other person wants your Ruger for a reason and he's not just being nice to you he knows your's is a better gun. Keep it.
Work over the finish with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust remover. It removes rust and leaves the blue, then give it a coat of good automotive paste wax (one high in carnuba) it will look just fine. It has character, don't ruin the value with a refinish.
Gary
Old July 15, 2014, 04:52 PM   #19
Grant D

One more for keep the Ruger.

If stainless is so great, why does he want to trade his stainless revolver for a blued revolver?
Old July 15, 2014, 05:08 PM   #20
9ballbilly

Keep the Ruger. JMHO
Old July 15, 2014, 05:17 PM   #21
kajvid

Keep the Ruger.
Old July 15, 2014, 06:19 PM   #22
tomrkba

Forget Taurus. Keep the Ruger.