The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 14, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1
MNDH 1007

Savage axis issues.

I just bought one a week ago a lil tip don't. Should've known better trying to save a buck... It's jammed a live round in the chamber twice and doesn't like 3 different kinds of ammo cycling through it... Has anyone had savage experience and had this happen 2 them... I've owned a couple of bolt guns and none of them have ever been an issue like this please help
Old October 14, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Sierra280

Check the COL of the cartridges it is jamming. Does the ammo that will chamber well have a shorter COL? There have been multiple reports of new savages having very tight chambers and short throats (sometimes even below SAAMI spec).
Old October 14, 2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Polinese

You're actually the first I've heard about having these issues with the axis. I've had mine a couple years now and its been nothing but splendid. Plus boyds just came out with a stock for it which takes care of my one issue with the gun, the stock.
Old October 14, 2013, 12:54 PM   #4
precision_shooter

Is it hard to close the bolt when chambering one of the rounds that "stick"?

Are these off the shelf ammo or reloads?

What grain bullets?

This is also the first I've heard of issues with the Axis. There is a member on here who uses an Axis for 600yd F/TR matches...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 14, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
doofus47

burr in the chamber?
is it a new rifle or just new to you?
Old October 14, 2013, 04:02 PM   #6
precision_shooter

Also, can you post pics of the brass from the stuck rounds that were fired?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 17, 2013, 10:23 AM   #7
MNDH 1007

It's weird it was new but a display model... The bolt extractor head was dirty cleaned that and the bolt and it works flawless now... Did have a professional gunsmith check the chamber and all seems well... Idk how the extractor head was so dirty but it seems way better
Old October 17, 2013, 11:11 AM   #8
precision_shooter

A good thorough cleaning and lube is always the first thing I do after buying any firearm whether new or used. I often take for granted that not everyone may have the same routine and overlook that as a possible cause when other are having issues with a new to them firearm.

Glad you got it sorted out!
Old October 17, 2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Polinese

Glad it's all sorted out. Now you can get one of the new boyds stock for it which is a nice improvement (don't have one in hand yet but assuming since the factory stock isn't very good).
Old October 17, 2013, 07:41 PM   #10
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDNH 1007

It's weird it was new but a display model... The bolt extractor head was dirty cleaned that and the bolt and it works flawless now... Did have a professional gunsmith check the chamber and all seems well...

Idk how the extractor head was so dirty but it seems way better

It got that way from being used/fired - IMO you were sold a bill of goods, about it being a display gun.

My Son has had zero issues with the new .223 Axis package he won at a game dinner raffle last Winter.

Old October 19, 2013, 11:54 AM   #11
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
A thorough cleaning , is the first thing to do with any new acquisition , new or used , before firing . This serves two purposes , of course the cleaning , but also , a good thorough inspection , to verify it's in good working order !
Old October 20, 2013, 02:25 PM   #12
codyb1991

Yeah, a good cleaning is a must for any new firearm, especially a display model. I've had alot of experience with the Savage Axis, its not a bad rifle but the one I used had trouble chambering the next round in the detachable box magazine, judt had to double check every time you cycle the bolt. I bought a display model Remington 700 and it was filthy, it's probably just from being handled by so many people over a good amount of time.
Old October 20, 2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Jim243

Quote:
it's probably just from being handled by so many people over a good amount of time.
While anything is possible, it just struck me a BS and that they sold you a rife that was used, maybe not sold, but certainly used.

Did you see how they filled out the 4473??? They can not list it as new, if it has been used (no matter by whom). Did they give you the box and all the papers???

Jim
Old October 20, 2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Duzell

we had a 223 one jam 2 times live fireing, yesturday
Old October 20, 2013, 05:39 PM   #15
4runnerman

I am with Jim243 here. Dirty,means fired somewhere down the line. Also-Always clean a new gun before the first round is ever fired out of it. I have 9 Savages now.2 of them are Axis, 223 and 243 camo. All shoot sub MOA and never a issue with them. My only advice is- Take trigger off and cut 1.5 coils off spring. They do have horrable triggers. Cutting 1.5 coils off spring makes the very usable and you might find your accuracy improve also. What Caliber did you get?. I could possible ( depending on Caliber ) get you off to a very good start for a load.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:15 PM   #16
MNDH 1007

Shot it last weekend... Minuite 2 minute and a half at 100 which is really good for the trigger... Gonna order a timney and put a vortex on it by next yr and it should consistently be under moa then...
Old October 25, 2013, 10:29 PM   #17
jrhilde

just a small question, why do some of you buy a rifle knowing going in that the stock has to be replaced and that 1.5 of a spring removed---this is why I continue to buy Vanguards, Ruger #1's and 700's, beautiful wood stocks right from the gitgo that do not have to be replaced, triggers that may not be perfect, but work just fine and accuracy that matches or comes very close to the Savages---I know beyond a doubt that the Savages are accurate and very dependable, just have not ever been able to figure out why the company has such an aversion to building at least one bolt model with a very nice piece of wood---a plastic stock is not what makes a rifle accurate, just makes them inexpensive---ok now, don't come down on me too hard, wanted to vent just a little and I'm over it---been waiting years for Savage to make one with a nice understated Walnut stock, Monte Carlo cheekpiece and decent recoil pad---I'm not even asking for a fore end tip or pistol grip cap, just a rifle that looks as good as it shoots-----
Old October 26, 2013, 03:05 AM   #18
Jimro

Quote:
just a small question, why do some of you buy a rifle knowing going in that the stock has to be replaced and that 1.5 of a spring removed---
Because we care about groups on target more than pretty wood.

Jimro
Old October 26, 2013, 04:04 AM   #19
Polinese

Some such as myself also may find the design of the action itself to be superior/preferable (whatever word you want to use) to the pretty but really nothing special about it Remington (just my opinion...)

I'd rather take off a cheap synthetic stock but have a stellar action and put on whatever stock I want later.
Old October 26, 2013, 04:06 AM   #20
semi_problomatic

Whoa jrhilde. If you're buying a vanguard with a wood stock it's the vanguard 2, right? MSRP of $849. Ruger #1 at $1349 or Remington 700 sps wood tech at $800 (cheapest I found, half synthetic from the looks of it)...you're going to compare that to a savage axis with a MSRP of $375?

Not exactly apples to apples, is it?

It would compare to a regular cheapo vanguard...which I have in .308. Crappy flimsy stock and a trigger that I took a full pound off just with a bit of polishing.
The axis also has a removeable magazine instead of the hinged plate and a tang safety, which I think is a bit easier to use over the vanguard's. The closest remington to compare with is the 770...and ruger has the American

Last edited by semi_problomatic; October 26, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old October 26, 2013, 06:55 AM   #21
4runnerman

Just a note here- To take 1.5 coils off a Axis is about a 10 minute job tops. To me (IMHO ) A pretty stock is nice but down the line in importance for a rifle. Accuracy is #1. I buy Savage.
Old October 26, 2013, 11:23 AM   #22
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhilde

been waiting years for Savage to make one with a nice understated Walnut stock, Monte Carlo cheekpiece and decent recoil pad.

Meet the Savage 14/114 Classic - which has been around for years.

Old October 26, 2013, 02:08 PM   #23
Been there

''just a small question, why do some of you buy a rifle knowing going in that the stock has to be replaced and that 1.5 of a spring removed---this is why I continue to buy Vanguards, Ruger #1's and 700's, beautiful wood stocks right from the gitgo that do not have to be replaced, triggers that may not be perfect, but work just fine and accuracy that matches or comes very close to the Savages''

Mainly because the Savages are more accurate , I've seen many Remingtons require considerable post purchace gunsmithing & parts replacement @ considerable cost, before they could be considered acceptably accurate.
Old October 26, 2013, 04:37 PM   #24
4runnerman

Been There beat me to it. I have 9 savages now. From 2 that are Axis to the 6MMBR match rifle--All shoot sub MOA. Did not take much on my part to work up a load for them either. I have not yet nor will I ever trash any other rifle out there ( to each there own ),But with that in Mind,You just don't match or beat Savage accuracy period. I hear a lot of people say my rifle shoots MOA. That's 1 inch at 100 yards, That is not very impressive at all, now I will say I do not have any magnum calibers in my collection. 243's,308,s are my big rifles.
Old October 26, 2013, 10:32 PM   #25
Kimbercommander

I love the Savage rifles. Have a few and have had more. However for larger calibers i like my Kimbers better. Same accuracy but in my opinion i like the action on kimbers better.