The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 10, 2013, 05:35 PM   #1
KamronG

Remington r-15 suppressed

I have a Remington r-15 in .223 with a 22" barrel. I was wondering if anyone has ever suppressed one of these, and if they have what they thought of it? Also, will having a 22" barrel and then putting a suppressor on it make it too long or will it need to be cut down some?
Has anyone ever put a 7" silencer on a 22" barrel without cutting the barrel down any? If so, was it too long or did it seem to work out alright?
Thanks for any comments
Old March 10, 2013, 09:02 PM   #2
KamronG

Anyone have any experience with putting a suppressor on a 22" barrel?
Old March 11, 2013, 08:23 AM   #3
eodinert

I don't own a barrel that long, but it should work well. I run a can on a 10.5 inch barrel, and it's still loud to the shooter. Because of the bullet noise, it will never be ninja quiet anyway.

With ARs, excess gas vents out of the bolt carrier, and when I shoot my can on a 16'' barrel, my right ear still rings because of it. If you want to maximize quietness, you could install an adjustable gas block, and dial it down so it uses the minimum gas possible.

To somebody standing nearby, even as close as 5 feet, the guns are amazingly quiet.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:46 AM   #4
KamronG

Thanks for the reply. My main reason for wanting to suppress my r-15 is for predator hunting. I just don't know how putting a 6 or 7" can on my already 22" barrel is gonna work. Might feel too long.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:44 PM   #5
JD0x0

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My main reason for wanting to suppress my r-15 is for predator hunting. I just don't know how putting a 6 or 7" can on my already 22" barrel is gonna work. Might feel too long.
That's for you to decide. The short barrel craze is not something I am into. There was a time when military sniper rifles pretty commonly came with barrels that were or were close to 30'' A long barrel does not bother me. But I know some people who claim to feel a difference between 22'' and 24'' and prefer 22''
Old March 12, 2013, 10:28 AM   #6
eodinert

From what I understand, predator hunting involves calling, and waiting. I don't think the long barrel would be a big deal for that. One thing to consider is that depending on your barrel profile, the weight of the suppressor can cause a point of impact shift. As long as you were zero'd for the can to be on the rifle, it should work well. Suppressor effectiveness is very much a product of load, as well.

I think if you were shooting off of set of sticks or a bipod it would be fine, it would probably feel pretty heavy shooting it off hand.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:00 PM   #7
KamronG

I appreciate everyone's responses! I think I have decided to just keep the 22" barrel and get it threaded. Might be a little long but I'll make it work
Old March 12, 2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Technosavant

I'd recommend spending the extra coin for a lighter can; it will minimize the POI shift as well as make the entire thing easier to haul around.

You might also wish to look into a PRI Gas Buster charging handle (the new BCM Gunfighter has some capability in that regard too). Or even just use RTV sealant around the charging handle (instructions to do this are on the internet). That will keep gas from blowing at you through the action. I use the BCM Gunfighters and they do lessen the amount of gas you get back in the face.

If you use contact lenses, I might also recommend some eyedrops too... I wear glasses and my suppressed ARs do dry out my eyes a bit from that gas. Not horribly, but a bit. With contacts it might be a bigger issue.