The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 4, 2009, 12:39 AM   #1
cuffkey53

I almost gave up/1908 Mauser 7x57

I have a 1908 7x57 mauser that i have had for at least 5 years I could not get it to shoot the barrel was dark and did not want to come clean. I used cleaning foam on a whim and kept cleaning it for about the last 2 weeks .
but it beiing so blasted cold here in northern Michigan I had to wait for a day that it was not snowing well that was today and I am here to tell you that the constant cleaning has paid off I shot a 3/4 inch group just under the bull useing the the 6 oclock hold It stll is dark but there is a shine starting to come through on the barrel i was so pleased that I had to tell someone so fellas if you got one li9ke this you might want to keep at it as far a trying to salvage what might be a pretty darn good rile
Old March 4, 2009, 12:43 AM   #2
fisherman66

If the dark bore bothers you the electrolysis method of cleaning should solve that, but if it's shooting that well I'd leave it alone.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=31740.0
Old March 4, 2009, 12:57 AM   #3
cuffkey53

I would if i had one

thanks maybe i will get off my wallet and purchase one thanks
Old March 4, 2009, 01:17 AM   #4
fisherman66

You don't buy, you make one - total cost less than a few bucks *if* you have to buy anything at all. I used a piece of rebar, battery and wire to de-rust an old motorcycle tank. The same concept works to defoul and decopper a rifle barrel (except you use a much finer steel rod).

How do you like the 7x57? I have a Ruger #1 in the same chamber. Easy on the shoulder and not so easy on the other end. Great cartridge.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:55 AM   #5
cuffkey53

Thanks for the info

I really like the rifle alot and am glad that i got it to shoot I have a #1 in 45/70 and for a big bore it is not bad either I will keep what you said in mid thanks and you are right it is a great cartridge