The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 22, 1999, 10:25 PM   #1
Dorsai

I saw the neatest revolver at a match this last weekend. It was a 7 shot SW686 that had been converted to use either full moon clips while retaining the ability to headspace without the clip. the rear of the cylinder had been machined to allow the clips, but about a 1/16 of an inch was left full length around the outer diameter. The clip would fit down inside the lip, but if you didn't use a clip, then the cartridge rim would still engage the outer edge of the cylinder.
Anyway, I'm looking for a good gunsmith who can do this conversion. The owner said it was pretty simple and he just had a machinist friend do it for him.

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Old November 23, 1999, 12:25 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Dorsai, I believe this is a service that Cylinder and Slide offers. I don't have their web address but I think you could find them with your search engine. George
Old November 26, 1999, 10:57 PM   #3
Daniel Watters

Also check out Tom Kilhoffer and Charlie Prest.