The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 19, 2002, 10:53 PM   #1
sumabich

Alternative "General Discussion Forum"

Rich and moderators, is there not some way to come up with a general forum that is not gun related? This one could be used for humor, total nonsense, and just general information. I have noted several frustrated TFL members of late who have had their threads closed and had an interesting topic. In the old days we had a lot of fun (not politically correct) trading insults. I will never forget Sensop telling me I would "smoke a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] in hell". I still get tears in my eyes laughing at his come-back. We all need to laugh more and I've been saving some of my best "sumabich funnies" for just this sort of thread!
Old January 20, 2002, 04:56 AM   #2
yankytrash

I could see where that idea might spiral downhill fast.

Although you and I might be intent on keeping it light-hearted and funny, there are others that could just start using that forum area as a place to, "take this outside."

Remember when you were a kid at school playing dodgeball in gym class? It was fun and games to most, a little serious to others, and down-right personal to a select few. You know the latter, because he was the kid that was little bigger than you, and chucked the balls a little faster than anybody, at anybody, including the girls.

If you had a good blind open shot at him, you didn't take it, because he'd get up off the floor, turn to you, and say, "I'll see you out in the school yard at 3:10, and you better be there."

Because, you see, although we all know that it's just a game and know not to take a well-placed hit personally, there those out there that do not.

Now if you take that analogy and apply it to the discussions we sometimes get into on the forums, you can see where I'm going with this. To us, they're discussions, to others they're arguments, and to a select few, it's down-right personal.

Those select few would turn an Open General forum into an uncontrollable mess of personal insults, racial bias, and gender bashing. Hell, some are so intent on bashing others for their point of view that they try to squeeze a few of those insults into the current General Discussion, knowing the mods won't let it go by unlocked.

I just think what was intended to be light-hearted in nature could easily end up being the toilet of the TFL forums.

My $.03.
Old January 20, 2002, 05:18 PM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

YT said it better than I could have.

It's not a "would" or "might" either; it actually used to be that way to some extent a few years back.

Personal messages are always another option over email.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old January 20, 2002, 05:28 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

If it's fixed, don't overwork it. Or sumpin like that.

Nosredna Mas