The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 25, 2012, 06:52 PM   #1
militant

Coyote problems

I live next to a cattle pasture. There is a coyote den about 400 yards from my place. It is in a brier patch next to a tree line, next to a small lake that dries up during the summer. The coyotes are killing local cats. I want them dead. I was out looking the area over and actually came up on one. It ran into the brier patch and dissappeared. I have a 10/22 to do the job. I'd use my .243, but i live in a neighborhood setting and don't want to alarm the neighbors. What do I do? Bait them? Wait them out?
Old August 25, 2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Ricklin

Bait em, and go for a head shot. .22 will do the job. They are vermin.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
big al hunter

Call them or bait them. 12 gauge #4 buck . Less collateral damage from ricochet. And if there are more than 1 you stand a much better chance of getting all of them. They learn fast you won't fool most of them twice. Also a good reason to have a second shooter. Make sure you both understand who shoots what animal if multiples show. You might kill one yote twice as much as needed and watch another run away educated.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
farmerboy

If its legal to shoot where you live tell neighbors that you'll be hunting and have a blast !
Old August 25, 2012, 11:39 PM   #5
scrubcedar

I'd talk to the neighbors emphasizing the danger to local pets as well as them deciding humans=food supply. You might find that you suddenly have several willing lookouts.
No bull, I was in an area similar to that(suburban next to rural) and had the coyotes starting to follow my kids if they were in a certain area at dusk. This situation has all sorts of nasty possibilties in terms of danger. It's late for them to be raising pups but be aware that it is remotely possible. Where I grew up 'yotes were hunted quite often from a considerable distance with any centerfire varmint round. Sounds to me like a perfectly logical reason to buy and scope such a rig, after all it's for the greater good
Old August 25, 2012, 11:59 PM   #6
TXAZ

I would be very careful how you bait, if you do. It is not clear what state or urban density you're in. I would be very concerned in a suburban/small town setting if there were a chance kids or pets could get to the bait.

On the other hand a shot from the 22 (or .243) is likely less of a risk than baiting.

I'd check on your local laws first.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 26, 2012, 12:01 AM   #7
militant

I have a scoped .243. The terrain does not allow very far range shots. They are living in a den next to a fense line by cattle and a drying up lake bed. I have a ruger 10/22 I am ver confident in. I can't see getting any further of a shot then 100 yards. I always walk up on them running into the dense brier patch. And that is that. What and when should I bait?
Old August 26, 2012, 01:29 AM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
I'd use my .243, but i live in a neighborhood setting and don't want to alarm the neighbors.
If you have to worry about the neighbors, you are probably too close to housing to be firing a rifle. I don't know about your state, but the minimum distance from a residence to discharge a firearm here is 1/4 mile, and never within a congested area or within city limits.
Quote:
The coyotes are killing local cats.
Good. Wait until they're done before moving in on them.
Quote:
I want them dead.
Aaaahh, there's the real reason coming out now.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:49 AM   #9
603Country

It's my understanding that frangible 22 LR ammo can now be bought. That would take away any chance of a ricochet. I don't know who makes and sells the ammo, but I did see it discussed in a varmint magazine recently.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd carry the .22 at all times when out wandering around. I'd investigate the den and take whatever action is appropriate. Heck, pile rocks in the entrance. Pee on the ground around the den.

Enough harassment and the coyotes will go away.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:38 PM   #11
militant

I got a large live animal trap I intend to use. In Oregon a fur tag is needed so I will be buying one tomorrow. When I trap the animal, I plan to use either a compound bow, my .22 short or idk. I know it is within 400 yards of houses, but there are hills in between.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:04 PM   #12
JimPage

I'm skeptical of the .22 lr for coyotes. Granted, it was winter when coats are thicker (but that's the only time I've shot coyotes). I know I made good hits on the shoulders, but nothing stopped them. After my pal shot them and killed them we found the .22 bullets tangled up in the fur -- pretty effective armor the fur turned out to be. A 223 or similar would be an effective killing round for 'yotes.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old August 26, 2012, 08:13 PM   #13
militant

I will actually be using a .22 cb short to kill it. Here is how. I will trap it in my cage like trap i bought and shoot it in the top of the head at nearly point blank range.
Old August 26, 2012, 11:50 PM   #14
FlySubCompact

A pellet rifle can take out a large male coyote. I actually killed one when I was kid.

Ten years old....out at the edge of the woods near a pond. I'd sat down to rest when I caught movement to the left. I guess the huge coyote didn't sense me....I sat and watched. He was cutting a bee-line for the pond. He must have been really thirsty because he stuck his head down and started drinking.

His rear was facing me, so I drew a bead on his gonads. "Papp"....I nailed him.

He flinched, then stumbled a bit and then went down. I discovered that the pellet never even penetrated the target.

Cause of death was drowning.

Old August 26, 2012, 11:59 PM   #15
jimbob86

Quote:
I'm skeptical of the .22 lr for coyotes.
I know a .22 to the head will kill them DRT. BTDT.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:11 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Probably be more helpful with "how to", rather than "what with".
Old August 27, 2012, 08:41 AM   #17
militant

Ill let everyone know how my trapping experience works. I used some old chicken scraps as bait.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:39 PM   #18
"JJ"

Good luck with the trap.
I wouldn't expect it to work on coyotes. Maybe a coon or possum.
This years pups should now be out and about, hard and heavy. One of them may venture in to the trap after a couple of days when your scent as dissipated. But the bait will likely be all gone by then. If you can use a liquid bait/attractant and wear rubber boots and gloves, you may be able to fool one.
As for baiting, it will feed them. You just won't know exactly when!
Coyotes, especially during the summer heat, are much more active at night. They would likely hit the bait pile around 2 or 3 am.
If you do anything to their den, even get close to look at it, them mom will relocate them immediately. They will usually have several den sites in the area just in case.
Coyotes may be the most adaptable and most intelligent predator that our Father created. They will survive!

That being said, I would try a few different ways to get rid of them.

1) (My Favorite) Do a bit of observing of the coyotes. If they are denning there by the water then they are likely traveling a short distance to a hunting ground or for territorial issues. For what ever reason, there will be trails that they will use to get to and from.
Get a predator call and set up on on of their path. Find a spot where you can see but can't easily be seen. Preferably with the sun at your back and a cross wind or the wind in your face is a must.
Sneak in to place before daylight or about an hour and a half before sunset. I would sit perfectly still and quiet for a while hoping for an ambush. After about a half hour I would lightly blow a distress call hoping to bring them in.
Blow if for a little over a minute and then watch in quiet for about 7 to 10 minutes. A feather tied to a limb with fishing line about thirty yards in front of you will work wonders here.

2) You know where they live! Set up like a deer hunt either at dusk or dawn and wait for them to come or go. They should exit the safety of cover and pause to survey the area and present a shot.

3) (Dangerous in dry conditions) Put on some old clothes and carry a small shovel, some lighter fluid and the .22 and go into the briar patch to find the den. You want to be as quiet as possible or you will flush them out. If you can bring a handful of soaking wet green grass that would make things a bit safer and effective. You don't want a large fire. Just something that will produce a bunch of smoke at the entrance of the den. If you can get the smoke and fire INTO the den the coyotes will bail eventually.
now getting a good shot with the .22 will prove to be difficult. A shotgun like big al hunter suggested in each case would be best.

There have been MANY coyotes killed with a .22LR. I would suggest getting some CCI Velocitors or Stingers. Something with a bit more ump! Make sure to site in the rifle with any new ammo. To get a recoverable kill so you can take pictures to show us , I would still try for a head shot. If that isn't possible go for the heart. Now keep in mind that the smaller coyote has a smaller heart and it is a bit forward then most game animals. They also don't have much of a shoulder blade. Thus the ideal shot would be at the top of the front leg just below center of mass. A shot NEAR the vitals will most likely kill it, you just may not recover it.

In the event you are successful, we want to see pictures!!
Good luck brother!
Old August 28, 2012, 10:18 PM   #19
warbirdlover

I would go with a new high power air rifle as was suggested already.
Old August 28, 2012, 10:30 PM   #20
militant

I got a younger coyote. I haven't heard much ruckus from tw other for the last couple days. I can usually hear them late at night. I believe your right and may upgrade to a leg snare or leg trap of some sort.