The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2007, 09:06 AM   #1
jclayto

Lee Adjustable Charge Bar

I am placing an order with midway, and considering adding on the adjustable charge bar.

Does anyone know if this thing actually works? I am reloading on a classic turret with pro autodisk measure. My current set up works, but it is a little aggravating to take down the hopper just to change the drop by a few tenths of a grain.

I reload using mainly 2400 powder, do you know if the charge bar works well with that?

If I am reading right, this actually replaced the disc correct?

Thanks!

Jon the Newbie
Old July 16, 2007, 09:36 AM   #2
willr

I have used one of these for several years. It works just fine with almost all of the powders I use. However, I can't speak for 2400. My only problem has been with small charges or with flake powder. It does not work well for small charges, e.g. 32 acp; for these I have to use a different measure. Don't try to throw charges 4 cc. of less of flake powder. See the Lee reloading book.

Needless to say it does save a great deal of trouble.

willr
Old July 16, 2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Mine will not drop consistent charges of either 231 or any of the AA powders if I'm below about 5.0 grains.

Once I open up the aperature enough to reach that number, things settle in really nicely.

When I first got it several years ago I was trying to load light .38 Spl. loads and was having a terrible time. With the disk installed I was getting 4.2 grains every time. It was so consistent it was boring.

With the disk installed it would range from 3.8 to 4.5.

Very frustrating until I came across a message here by someone who discovered the solution.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 16, 2007, 01:26 PM   #4
benedict1

I find that the real problem with the adjustable charge bar and smaller charges is that if you do not flare your cases enough, i.e., have the powder-through expander die set low enough, the slit in the bar doesn't get out far enough over the drop hole and powder can hang up in it. Thus, you get a short charge. This can also happen with the Auto Disk in place although with the round hole cavity it's not quite as pronounced.

If the die is set right on any loads of flake powders above ~4.5 gr it should work okay. It works much better for ball powders like Win 231 and I have no trouble with it down to about 3.8 gr.

If you're getting short charges anytime with the Auto Disks or the Adjustable Charge Bar make sure you check the expander die. Often people don't set it low enough because they don't want to flare the brass too much and wear it out. Not good because the result will likely be erratic charge drops.
Old July 16, 2007, 02:05 PM   #5
xjz

I have used it for almost a year with mostly power pistol/bullseye and it is failry consistant with my 9mm loads which are in the 4-5 grain range but for whatever reason with my .45 loads it tends to fluxuate a bit, like +/- .3 grains and the loads are in the 6-7 grain range. Either way I still like it because I hated changing the hopper out all the time to adjust the load and I load on the low end of all data so I'm still safe if there is a fluxuation I don't catch inbetween the 1 of every 10 I check while reloading.
Old July 18, 2007, 02:15 AM   #6
amamnn

I won't use mine to drop anything less than 5 grains. The aperture is just to small and powder bridges in it even after I rigged a baffle for the reservoir. I had quite a problem with unique and red dot, green dot and 2400. I had better results with W296 and W231, but still I would not trust a small drop.

I've only used mine for handgun loads, so I can't personally say anything about it in a double disk set up for rifles, but I know two people here that tried it and found it to be less than satisfactory. I know one guy was dropping charges for magnum loads and the charge bar would not open a big enough hole for him; the other person just said it didn't work for him.
Old July 19, 2007, 12:35 PM   #7
swmike

It's a great idea but the one I have doesn't handle small charges worth a darn. Also subject to a lot of "Static Cling" with any flake powder. Too bad it is not made of metal. It might do better. I always end up going back to my disk's.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old July 25, 2007, 12:02 PM   #8
LubeckTech

I have one and usually use the disks. It is picky as to what powder/charge weight it will feed consistantly. For me when it works it works well BUT when it doesn't like what you feed it it is useless
Old July 26, 2007, 12:17 AM   #9
Eric M.

I really like the Lee Charge Bar.
I use my Classic Turret Press for .45ACP only, and my smallest charge is 4.8grs of W-231.
I have no problems at all with this load using the Adj. Charge Bar, and I measure every 7th charge.
Take your time adjusting it to different loads, and I think that you will love it.
I drops just as good as my Redding.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old July 26, 2007, 09:51 AM   #10
willr

All I can tell you is that my adjustable charge bar is VERY consistent. Loads of 3.4 gr of Bullseye for 38 special are boringly consistent. Similarly charges for 9 mm -- Bullseye and AA#5.
willr
Old July 26, 2007, 10:21 AM   #11
frankxd

I have the same set-up as you do. I have been using the charge bar for a couple of years, and it works great for me. I only load pistol rounds, and have mainly been using Power Pistol. With this combination, I can easily and consistently make small changes. It has also been very repeatable for me. YMMV.