The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 23, 2007, 10:26 AM   #1
cptmclark

Series 70 vs Series 80 slides

How do I tell Series 70 1911s from Series 80 if they are not marked? I'm ordering slide parts for an Armscor Stainless steel 45 (extractor and firing pin stop) and see that I need to specify. Also, if anybody knows which the Armscor is I'd be grateful for that.

Thanks
Old February 23, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
steveracer

Armscor is series 70.

Not marked, normally means no needless parts. (No FP safety)
Retract your slide, and look under it at the rear. Is there a little round plunger in it? If so, you have the lawyer-inspired, basically pointless, and downright silly FP safety. If not, you have a normal 1911. (Pre-80 is more accurate than saying series 70.)
Steve
Old February 23, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3
cptmclark

Thanks Steve. Quick Response.
My Understanding Was That You Couldn't Buy A Series 70 (my Gold Cup Is Marked Series 70 On The Slide) Any More. Maybe Since This Cheapo Is Imported They Get Around It. I've Thought You Had To Modify New Guns To Get Rid Of The Supurfulous, Trigger Degrading Safety.
Old February 23, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

series 80

Sir:
On any series 80 slide (1911 package) you can get rid of the plunger and PF safety by adding the plate on the right slide and removing the plunger in the slide.
The plunger can be removed by removing the firing pin stop, pushing in on the plunger and removing the plunger and push back on the extractor and the pin will fall out. The series 80 extractor can be reused if you choose.
On these I install a new hammer with a beavertail and sear. A trigger-job should be used as well.
Harry B.