The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 21, 2002, 04:34 PM   #1
Doug S

Good Home Defense Shotgun?

I've been considering the purchase of a home defense pump shotgun for some time. I've found Mossberg's relatively cheap at the local hardware store and Walmart. What would be a good economical shotgun for home defense? I would prefer 12 gauge, but wonder if a 20 gauge might be more controllable for the wife. I would appreciate any opinions on brand, gauge, action type, etc. Thank in advance.
Old July 21, 2002, 05:32 PM   #2
Mannlicher

This question is one that has been around the block a few times. I always respond that I like my Mossberg 590, my Mossy Cruiser 500C 20 ga, and my old Stevens double 16. I think any of those would do as a HD shotgun.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 21, 2002, 05:45 PM   #3
Edward429451

Check this out. Remington 870 Express Youth 20 gauge, 8+1 extended mag tube, 4 rnd Tacstar sidesaddle. $325. total.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hreadid=122288
Old July 21, 2002, 06:18 PM   #4
gburner

I own a S&W 12 ga. pump police trade in. I got it with an extended tube magazine for 175.00. Mechanically sound and reliable. You can spend multi-bucks for a new shotty,but there are bargains to be had in police turnovers. Many of them have had few rounds thru them. Shop wisely.
Old July 21, 2002, 08:45 PM   #5
jthuang

http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/shotgun.html

HTH,

Justin
Old July 22, 2002, 05:00 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This has been covered more than once, check the archives for info. A few fast points, tho...

Practically any reliable shotgun holding two or more shells will do an excellent job IN TRAINED HANDS. The software is much more important than the hardware.

Any of the Big 4 pumps will work very well, and so will some autos and doubles.

Some 20 gauges will kick harder than some 12s. It's a combo of fit,ammo, action, and technique.

Some folks do not shoot a shotgun well, ever. I suggest you make some alternate arrangements for your wife. Mrs McC doesn't like or shoot shotguns, neither does Daughter. They have other tools available, mostly in 38 Special. The HD 870 is mine alone.

Finally, after you've obtained a shotgun, resist the siren lure and spend your money on ammo, lessons, and range fees instead of bellsnwhistles. Those MAY come in handy later. And shoot the thing, at clays, landfill rats or whatever. The shotgun's its own best learning aid.

Good luck and good shooting...
Old July 22, 2002, 04:51 PM   #7
Drjones

I just got a Mossberg model 88 pump. I LOVE it. Can't go wrong for about $200. Came with a full stock and a separate pistol-grip only attachment. Can't wait to get it to the range! From what I've read here, you can't go wrong with a mossi. I agree to spend your time and money wisely; on ammo and PRACTICE/training.

Drjones
Old July 24, 2002, 02:38 PM   #8
CMichael

I suggest get a 12 gauge. It's more versatile and you can use it for the clay games if you get into that.

Michael
Old July 24, 2002, 05:10 PM   #9
K80Geoff

If the gun is only for home defense. Buy the cheapest gun you can find. If you have to use it the local constabulary will take it as evidence.

You don't want to be givin them a Purdy or Parker
Old July 24, 2002, 05:15 PM   #10
stinger

Quote:
Buy the cheapest gun you can find.
I understand your point, but I would much rather the cops take it as evidence than the coroner have to come and take me because I bought a cheap piece of crap.

Inexpensive and cheap are two different things IMO. Get a decent pump, they can be had brand new for less than $300. At that price you could afford to have one taken and still go buy another.

Stinger
Closed Thread