The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
mark clausen

CCH Options

I have an old Stevens Favorite I am restoring, it is mechanically in very good shape except for the bore so I am having it relined. I want to reblue it as somebody scrubbes it with something pretty coarse and the reciever has been scrubbed also. I am looking for a color case hardening alternative for the reciever due to cost. I have tried blueing a reciever that was origonally case hardened and it didn't look right, just didn't want to take the blue. I have thought about polishing it and leaving it in the white or just relining it and leaving it as is. I'm not going to blue the barrel without figuring out the reciever. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Mark
Old January 15, 2013, 01:28 AM   #2
Scorch

Send it off to have it color cased, it needs the surface hardness. CPA does color case hardening.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
mark clausen

Thanks, I had already contacted them and the cost would be close to $250 after shipping. After relining then blueing the barrel I would have well north of $500 in the gun.I'm not doing this for resale but it is too much when I look at what they go for. Perhaps I'm chaseing something that doesn't exist. Maybe just reline it and be happy.
Mark
Old January 15, 2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Scorch

Yeah, restorations are a labor of love, you will never get waht you put into the gun back out of it, but you do it because you want one. I faced a similar dilemma a few months ago: there was a Favorite in 25 Stevens in the LGS for $250, absolutely pristine, with good bluing on the barrel, color case on the metal, and even about 70% varnish on the wood. Very good price considering the condition, but way too high when you consider that it would need a barrel or relined in order to be shootable, so add another $300, putting the price out of the reasonable range. On that note, $250 to color case the receiver is not bad, I pay $350 for color casing Winchester receivers for restorations. So figure out how bad you want it and either let it go or dive in.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:23 AM   #5
mark clausen

I flip alot of guns but when I saw this at a gun show in the fall I knew it was a keeper. I guess I need to discount some of the cost as in investment in relining tools. Going to wait for more money to get freed up to CCH. On an interesting note, the folks at CPA gave me two color options, a rather plain origonal color or a fancier striped later finish. same price. Included lever.
Thanks, Mark