The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 31, 2001, 01:07 AM   #1
bastiat

I now have an excuse to get a shotgun, but need info

I've never been hunting before, so I asked my brother to take me along in return for building him a new computer. The plan is pheasant hunting on a private farm.

I don't have a shotgun, but I've been looking at a mossberg 590 for quite some time. It's the 50668 with the 20" barrel, ghost ring sights, and a 9 shot capacity.

This will be my only shotgun for awhile, and will double on HD duty. Is this acceptable for pheasant? If not, can the choke be modified to be acceptable?
Old October 31, 2001, 02:35 AM   #2
HondoBWH

I'd have to say a 20' barrel is way too short for pheasant, 26-28 in modified choke would be more optimum. Since your shotgun as is seems to be for HD, if you can interchange barrels, that would be the best route to go. Also, most state game laws restrict your shell capacity to 3, so you would have to remove the mag extendor and get a plug.
Old October 31, 2001, 06:56 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 590's a good HD tool, even if not my pick. On pheasant, which requires lots of walking, you may find it a bit heavy, and GR sights are not the best thing for wingshooting. A possibly better choice may be a short bbled 500, with its lighter weight and greater options. Another possibility is the combos, a good pump like the 870s with two bbls, one long, one short.

A loose rule of thumb with upland shotguns is 7 lbs or less works best.

As for short bbls on hunting guns, they may be a slight disadvantage on long range pass shooting, but not for most shots at upland game. If the guns's set up as most are so you're shooting "Flat" down the rib, you do not see the bbl anyway, and ranges are short enougn any slight loss in velocity is meaningless.

A riot bbled 870 with open choke and 8s does a real good imitation of a quail gun.

Downside? Short bbls have more blast. Balance may be affected unless a bit of weight is taken off the butt end.

'Nother option, get the 590 and pick up a beater single shot for the bird work. They carry like a dream, tho kick is enhanced, and will bring in lots of game. This way you have a good HD tool, and a backup for a non-shooter in case IHTF.

HTH....
Old October 31, 2001, 11:42 AM   #4
bastiat

Opps, I meant to type mossberg 500, not 590. The 500 has a lighter barrell than the 590.
Old October 31, 2001, 09:57 PM   #5
dZ

the 500 will be much more "acceptable" in the field

but the 500s don't have the bayonet lug
Old October 31, 2001, 10:13 PM   #6
Jody Hudson

The 590 will be fine. Practice lots first so you can hit what you aim at. Don't worry about barrel length, modern shot cups keep the pattern tight out of short barrels and there is little difference in patterns between short and long barrels. The difference is easier to follow the bird.

Since it sounds like you will go hunting very little and want a HD shotgun, the 590 will be fine. You will need to make a "plug" for the magazine so that it only holds two shots possibly. Most areas only allow a shotgun capable of three shots for hunting I believe, but we use the plugs.

I hunted for years with a Benelli Super 90, long tube magazine, with a 20" cylinder barrel for everything.