The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2001, 10:30 PM   #1
Winston

I have a Benelli M1. I've put maybe 750 rounds through it. I notice that about 2 inches from the breech end of the gun
there is a dark ring that I cannot clean. Is this normal. Do I need to get the ring cleaned out. Are there issues in terms of function.

In general I'm uninformed about the best way to clean shotgun barrels.
Old May 24, 2001, 10:55 PM   #2
GGGLOCK

Winston,

My M1S90 doesn't have the ring you describe, but I tend to get plastic residue build up in that general area of the barrel.

My barrel cleaning regimen is as follows. Push two solvent soaked patches through the barrel. Let it sit for a few minutes. I go on to clean the bolt and trigger groups at this time. Then I run a bore snake through the barrel with the section behind the copper bristles soaked in solvent. For really stubborn plastic buildup, I use a tornado brush, which seems to get everything out in a few passes. I finish by running the bore snake through again, but this time with just the end soaked in CLP. Works for me.
Old May 25, 2001, 10:47 AM   #3
Romulus

I've read some good reviews of Boresnake. Just curious: if it's as effective at removing crud as y'all say, does that mean you have to wash it after each use? It must get pretty filthy and gritty after just one pass...
Old May 25, 2001, 11:14 AM   #4
Battler

<snipped>
Old May 25, 2001, 01:59 PM   #5
Bud1

Sounds like crud in the forcing cone.

I like to use a 10 gauge brush to clean the chamber and forcing cone on my 12 gauge shotguns.

Bud
Old May 25, 2001, 03:44 PM   #6
Romulus

A tapered chamber brush works great, and no chance of it gettin stuck on the back-stroke
Old May 27, 2001, 07:49 PM   #7
Nimrod

When I have really stubborn forcing cone build-up, I take a 10 gauge brush, soak the affected area with acetone or gasoline and put the other end of the cleaning rod (I have a short one with the handle broken off dedicated to this use) in a variable speed electric drill. Faster than I can type this: all gone build-up!
Old May 28, 2001, 07:21 AM   #8
Rottweiler

Try a "double tuff" bore brush available from Brownells. Just be ready to push. First time I used one I thought it was gonna get stuck,but boy do they work.
Old May 28, 2001, 05:14 PM   #9
Winston

Thanks

Thanks for the information. One of these options should play.