The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 11, 2016, 07:04 AM   #26
hooligan1

If I were to start a build on a magnum length action today it would probably be that 6.5-300 Weatherby.
Also I really like what Old Roper says, 26, 28 30 Nosler cartridges are also very fine....but I have most of the calibers I have always liked already..........can't have too many I guess....
Old September 12, 2016, 01:32 AM   #27
trooper3385

I appreciate all the info and suggestions. To explain my situation a little more, the rifle is not something I "Need". I have quite a few hunting rifles I use on regular basis, some more than others. I've never been able to really get into the bow hunting because I like my rifles to much I guess. I have 243, 270, 308, 30-06 that are great for deer size animals as well as a 7mm, 300 WM/WSM that work good on bigger game. Although the 300 WSM seems to get used the most. The elk/moose hunting is not a daydream. I've hunted Africa a couple times as well as in Canada. And no I don't hunt all over the world all the time. My wife is a big hunter as well, so we try to plan a big hunt every 2 or 3 years and save up for it in advance. Our hunting trips are our big vacations we take every few years. As far as the gun, I guess it's more of a want than a need. I would like something that would kind of fill the gap I have. I have this receiver in my safe that's been sitting there forever, so I figured I would finally put it to use. I've never really agreed with the argument that you need a caliber that you can buy ammo for at any Walmart or mom and pop gas station. I've hunted in a lot of different places and never found myself looking for ammo at a gas station during the hunt. In regards to barrel length, I'm fine with a 24 in barrel and won't go longer than that. A have a 300 win mag with a 26 in barrel and it's just too long. I know I will loose a little with the 24 over a 26 with cartridges with larger powder capacity but not enough in a hunting rifles to make too much difference.
Old September 12, 2016, 01:49 AM   #28
trooper3385

As far as the Nosler cartridges, they all look really good on paper. The only thing that makes me hesitant to get one is a think it's still a couple years away from knowing if it's going to stick around or fade away like some others have. The 264 has never been super popular but it's been around for 50 yrs and I doubt it will disappear. It also seems to have gained a little popularity the last couple of years. The 6.5/300 Weatherby may never be super popular either, but being a Weatherby cartridge, Weatherby will always make ammo for it. The $100 a box price tag is pretty steep for ammo, although I'm sure it will go down a little over time. Also, I'm hearing it's burning up barrels in about 600 rounds. I think it will probably take me a while to go through 30 boxes of ammo on a hunting rifle. Especially at that price.
Old September 12, 2016, 07:20 AM   #29
GeauxTide

You're exactly right about magnums in 26 caliber being "burners". Way overbore. My question is about your action. You said Magnum action. The 2.5" Magnums are built on the long action with an opened bolt face for the larger head of the case. The Magnum action is designed for the 3" case of the 375 H&H, 300 Weatherby, etc. If you've got the former, I'd go ahead with the 264 Win because you've got everything else covered. FWIW, I had a 6.5-06 built long ago and had it throated for 140 Hornadys. Chronographs 2935, which is right on the 264Win. If you decide on a 264, get it throated so you can seat the heavier bullets out.
Old September 12, 2016, 12:23 PM   #30
trooper3385

It's going to be the long action magnum that's designed for the 3" cases. It might be a little long for the 264, but it's should still work. The barrel maker did say that I could load up some dummy rounds and they would throat it for the ammo I sent in.
Old September 12, 2016, 08:29 PM   #31
Bayoubulldog

.35 Whelen!

I've been wanting to do exactly that build. If ever I find a long action 700 for a decent price that needs a new barrel.... it'll be a Whelen!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk