The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 3, 2014, 11:45 AM   #1
three-fifty-seven

Need a hand picking a single action revolver

Howdy everyone,

Currently I am in the market for a new single action revolver chambered in .357 magnum however I have some issues. I have a Ruger Single Six that fits my hand very well however I had a Ruger Blackhawk (6.5" barrel) that was far too heavy and bulky for my tastes. You see the issue I have is that my hands have long slender Swiss fingers designed for making clocks not shooting big single actions.

Some of my options I was looking at:
  • Ruger Vaquero
  • Older Ruger Blackhawks (unicorns in Canada however)
  • Uberti Cattleman

Anyway does anyone have any thoughts on a single action revolver chambered in .357 magnum that is built on a relevantly small frame?

Adjustable sights would be a bonus but not a deal breaker.

Thanks for the advice.
Old July 3, 2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Bob Wright

The Ruger 50th Anniversary Flat Tops are New Models with the .357. .44 Special. and .45 Colt all being built on the medium frame. Same for current Vaqueros.

And, the Cimarron/Ubertis I have seen and handled are excellent guns as well.

I don't believe you would go wrong with any of those.

Ane, if you want to spend a lot of money, the original Colt SAA.

Bob Wright
Old July 3, 2014, 12:26 PM   #3
txpossum

Mebbe not the most all around useful revolver, but I have one of the Sheriff's Models with the Birds Head grips that fit my smaller hands very well.
Old July 3, 2014, 01:13 PM   #4
three-fifty-seven

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
The Ruger 50th Anniversary Flat Tops are New Models with the .357. .44 Special. and .45 Colt all being built on the medium frame. Same for current Vaqueros.
I heard good things about this revolvers however I can never seem to locate one.
Quote:
And, the Cimarron/Ubertis I have seen and handled are excellent guns as well.
I think I should go down to my local gun shop and hold one.
Old July 3, 2014, 04:17 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

A basic problem is that all SA's (that I know of) were designed around the .44/.45 cartridges. That means the barrel and cylinder are bigger than they need to be for .38/.357. And that means they are heavy as heck in those calibers, and even more so in smaller calibers. I wonder if there is not a market for a Single Action on a medium frame (a K-frame SAA?) made specifically for the .357. But there is not such a gun today, and the only advice possible is to look around for the gun that you can handle the easiest. Note that some weight can be reduced by use of alloy grip frames, but the Ruger 50th Anniversary guns use a steel grip frame and are actually smaller only in comparison to the SBH.

Edited to add: I now recall that I once handled a SA that was made for .38 Special; it felt like a Colt 1851 Navy only a bit lighter. It was a Belgian-made Colt "Brevete" and was otherwise not much of a gun, but it did feel good.

Jim
Old July 3, 2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I have a Single Six that has been converted to .38 Special. It is a handy revolver. I would not have bothered myself, but a friend needed to pay his divorce lawyer.

Cimarron has the Model P Junior which is about the same size from Italy.
They have it in .22, .32 (.32 H&R/.32-20) and .38.
It would have to be beefed up a good deal for .357
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/car...el-p-jr-1.html

Lipseys is having Ruger make them up a batch of Single Six .327 Federal 7 shooters. That would be a hot number in a medium sized gun if you did not mind tracking down or loading the ammo.
https://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.a...Federal+Magnum
Old July 3, 2014, 05:51 PM   #7
357 Python

I have a Ruger Vaquero in 44 Magnum. It is a heavy revolver being approximately 10% larger that a Colt SAA. The New Vaquero is closer to the size of the Colt SAA and should be about the same weight. Since you are familiar with the Ruger line I would go for the Ruger New Vaquero. Don't get me wrong I love my 44 Mag Vaquero but you asked about a 357 Mag single action.
Old July 3, 2014, 05:55 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Thanks, Jim. I was not aware of the Cimarron offering, but they look interesting. I don't see any weight or size statistics, though. Of course, I didn't count custom guns in my post.

Jim
Old July 3, 2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Duke City Six

Yes, I too was thinking of the model P jr. That's IF you could be happy with 38 special instead of .357. Uberti's version on their website is called the Stallion. I've handled these and they are quite handy.
Old July 3, 2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Bob Wright

Uberti produces a .38 Special in their "Lightning" model that is a smaller frameed gun.

I've seen only a couple of these, and to me, just seem too small for practical use other than to "go armed."

I believe the Colt Model "P" frame, built for .44 and .45, is still the best for the .357 Magnum. My opinion soley.

Bob Wright
Old July 3, 2014, 07:12 PM   #11
Bezoar

a little weight can help in the recoil. I must ask have you shot the full size saa clones in .357? Im of the opinion that a set of grips could be modified rather well.
Ive seen lots of interesting stock manipulation done on here and the cas forums.
Old July 3, 2014, 08:18 PM   #12
three-fifty-seven

Quote:
A basic problem is that all SA's (that I know of) were designed around the .44/.45 cartridges. That means the barrel and cylinder are bigger than they need to be for .38/.357. And that means they are heavy as heck in those calibers, and even more so in smaller calibers. I wonder if there is not a market for a Single Action on a medium frame (a K-frame SAA?) made specifically for the .357. But there is not such a gun today, and the only advice possible is to look around for the gun that you can handle the easiest.
I was wondering this as well when I was googling today. It could be a case of no market demand or it could be the case that this market segment has not been explored yet.

Quote:
Yes, I too was thinking of the model P jr. That's IF you could be happy with 38 special instead of .357. Uberti's version on their website is called the Stallion. I've handled these and they are quite handy.
I will definitely look into this Uberti as I have handled a few Ubertis myself and I have been thoroughly impressed with the quality. I mainly shoot .38 specials so I won't be bummed out by the lack of .357 magnum.

Quote:
Cimarron has the Model P Junior which is about the same size from Italy.
They have it in .22, .32 (.32 H&R/.32-20) and .38.
It would have to be beefed up a good deal for .357
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/car...el-p-jr-1.html
I don't think Cimarron exports to Canada

Quote:
I believe the Colt Model "P" frame, built for .44 and .45, is still the best for the .357 Magnum. My opinion soley.
If I had the cash I would consider a Colt.
Old July 3, 2014, 10:02 PM   #13
roaddog28

Here is my take. My hands are small and most people would think that handling a large frame single action to be difficult for me. Actually my best handling revolver is a New Model Blackhawk 357/9mm with a 4 5/8 barrel. I shoot accurately with this revolver and recoil is better than smaller frame revolvers. Sure this revolver is heavy but it is comfortable. Sometimes a lighter revolver does not mean a more comfortable revolver to shoot. Things like grip and the frame design/angle are more important than weight. I am not promoting the Ruger. But I would handle several revolvers before making the decision.
Good luck
Howard
Old July 4, 2014, 03:45 AM   #14
Safestuffer

I have a U.S. Arms Abilene 4 3/4" in .357. Great gun but its a .357 on a .44 magnum frame, and is heavy like the dickens. It tames heavy loads really well but even with the shorter barrel is too heavy to carry.
I would love a medium framed SA six shooter in .357 that I could also load .38 spcl wadcutters in for a grouse gun.
Old July 4, 2014, 04:47 AM   #15
gyvel

Beretta is now (or was until recently) selling a really nice SA in the Bisley style in .357 mag. Really feels good in the hand, but doesn't follow the purists' SA in that the firing pin is frame-mounted.
Old July 4, 2014, 01:49 PM   #16
Crunchy Frog

In my opinion, Ruger should make the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk .357 a regular catalog offering.

Used versions can be found here and there; a fellow in North Carolina sold one the other day for less than $400.

The New Vaquero in .357 is probably the most popular revolver in SASS shooting. Excellent revolver. I believe it's a tad heavier than the Colt clones but it's very rugged.

I personally don't care for the "three quarter sized" Uberti revolvers.
Old July 4, 2014, 02:23 PM   #17
HungryHunter

I like the fact that you can carry six rounds in the Vaqueros. In fact I like a lot off things about them. That being said I handled the Taylor Smoke Wagon the other day and it was very light, and the action was buttery smooth. I love my New Vaquero but I think that one went on "the list."
Old July 12, 2014, 05:08 AM   #18
caz223

How set are you on the caliber?
Ruger just introduced a distributor exclusive single six (7 shot) in .327 magnum.
They have adjustable sights, and the 4 5/8" model weighs 34 ounces, and has the really sweet svelte 'gunfighter' grips that I love on my single-ten.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...DE/models.html
Old July 12, 2014, 06:57 AM   #19
rcp1936

I have the New Vaquero 357 blued 4 5/8
I have the New Vaquero 45Colt stainless 4 5/8

I can feel the difference in weight and balance between the 2
The 45Colt is lighter and feels better

Old July 14, 2014, 09:26 AM   #20
Colt46

Have you put them on a scale RCP1936?

If you do, I'd be interested in knowing the difference. I've got the .45 NV and love it.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:30 PM   #21
Jim March

I know it's not the caliber you're interested in, but the 327Federal Magnum has merit if you reload for it. Ballistics are interesting - it has at least as much boom as the very best 9mm+P+ loads.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-327s.htm

Ruger just started shipping a special edition Single Six in 327 with a seven-shot cylinder!

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...DE/models.html

That might just be exactly what you're looking for - the Single Six is the Ruger "small frame" and this is by far the most potent chambering the Single Six has ever seen (and it's a "seven" not a six).

I would really, really like one of those guns myself.