The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2001, 05:47 PM   #1
CReynolds

I don't really know what is meant by "trigger job." I have a traditional DA/SA semi auto and want to smooth out the trigger. So I have decided to send it to a gunsmith (which one I don't know). One of my friends said that since I was sending it out, I should also have the trigger lightened. What does this mean? What does a gunsmith do to a trigger to lighten it and what effect if any does this have on reliability?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Coley
Old March 25, 2001, 09:56 PM   #2
johnwill

There are a couple of things that can be tuned with the typical trigger job.

Pull: The amount of force applied to fire.

Creep: The amount of "drag" of the trigger before the hammer drops. This is different than the takeup, which is normal. Creep is when you can feel the sear engagement dragging before the hammer drops.

Overtravel: This is the amount of travel after the hammer drops, most folks want this to be minimal.

As far as your DA trigger pull, it may be difficult to lighten it all that much, since you may affect reliability if you get carried away.
Old March 25, 2001, 10:33 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Lightening a trigger pull can involve anything from a simple polishing to reworking or replacing springs, or even modifying parts. Some triggers have adjustments which can be set for better performance. Before you decide on a gunsmith, talk to some and tell them what you want and get an idea of both cost and the time involved.

If the gun is to be used for anything but range fun, make sure the smith understands that you consider reliability the paramount concern. I have seen many super trigger jobs that failed, fortunately at the range. One fellow spent over a $1000 dollars on a super worked over gun, only to find that (surprise!) bowling pins do not fall over when clicked at.

Jim