The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 13, 2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Deja vu

Idaho gun laws. Need advise.

Can any one direct me to who to call or e-mail for this question? Or even give the answer your self.

Because of the nature of my job on rare occasions I work in an elementary school. I know that it is not legal to carry in an elementary school so I leave my gun at home. My question is if its lawful to keep a gun locked in your car while at the school.

Would a parent with a CCW be required to leave the gun at home when picking up little JR. from class or would leaving it in the car unloaded be enough?

This is for the state of Idaho.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Last edited by Deja vu; March 13, 2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Add that its for Idaho in the text.
Old March 13, 2014, 11:50 AM   #2
southjk

I'm about to head out to lunch so I didn't read it but I think the relevant info is here.

Handgunlaw.us is a good resource as well.
Old March 13, 2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I'll ship this one down to Law & Civil Rights, where I think you'll get more action on it.

Cordially,
Spats
Old March 13, 2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

You can carry in schools (private or public elementary or secondary school) in Idaho. It requires not just the Idaho CWP, but also an authorization and permission of the local school board. See 18-3302D(4)(f). Keep that permission with you at all times you are on school property and are armed.

As regards to dropping off children or picking them up, see the same section (linked above), 18-3302D(4)(e).

Having pointed you to the proper sections of Idaho Code, let me state that if you don't have permission from the local School board, you had better be parked off campus, when visiting a private or public elementary or secondary school.

My suggestion? Because of the passage and signing into law (yesterday) that allows those with the enhanced permit to be on College and Uni property (effective July 1st), get the enhanced permit before you approach the school board with your request.

You can request a hearing before the local board. At the same time, because of the "sensitive" nature of your request, you can request a non-public hearing under Idaho's "sunshine" law.

Your argument to allow such is a simple one. It is more dangerous to disarm and rearm than to simply go about your business. The more times you handle your firearm, the more chance there is of an "accidental" discharge. Most people in Idaho will understand that reasoning.

I hope this answers your questions.
Old March 13, 2014, 04:10 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

BTW - campus carry for colleges is signed:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/jp...&utm_medium=en

Too bad the TX legislature wimps out on this repeatedly.
Old March 13, 2014, 11:00 PM   #6
KyJim

Don't forget the federal law against possession of a firearm in a "school zone" which is within 1,000 feet of a school. There are several exemptions, including "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State" and the government actually checks to see if you qualify for a license. Another exemption is if you keep an unloaded firearm in a locked container in the vehicle or locked on a gun rack of the vehicle. The complete statute, 18 U.S.C. 922(q) is at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922.