The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Cajun Ken

Lyman Vs Hornady Scale and Powder Dispenser

I am considering buying either the Lyman 1200 DPS 3 Digital Powder System, or the Hornady Lock and Load Auto Charge. The RCBS Loadmaster Combo is too expensive.. I currently load and fire around 100 rounds each of .38 Spl and .380 Auto per week I use the RCBS Uniflo Powder Measure. I cannot get consistent results with this system, and am constantly adding or removing powder to get the desired load. This is frustrating and time consuming.

I would appreciate comments on both systems, Good or Bad.

Thanks
Old March 5, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
AllenJ

I can't comment on your selections as I got the RCBS model. I can say when weighing rifle powders like 4350 it is so much easier than using the uniflow and trickling until weight is correct method. With that said I load for pistol also and the uniflow has always done a very good job. I stick with ball powders and it throws very consistant charges. What type of powder are you using?
Old March 5, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Cajun Ken

I have been using UNIQUE.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

That's your problem. Unique is famous for being the most difficult powder to dispense from a measure. Switch to Hodgdon Universal (close in burn rate, but reduce 5% to be sure, then work up) and you'll be a much happier camper with the Uniflow. I know one fellow who says he can meter Unique in the Uniflow by rotating the drum very slowly, but I've never been able to get mine to work with Unique by doing that. The powder bridges too easily.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 5, 2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Splittoe

I have the hornady and i love it. I have had it for a little over a year with no problems. Accuracy is excellent...
Old March 6, 2012, 07:02 AM   #6
rebs

I have an older Lyman powder scale and it works great. I sent it back to Lyman for a new balance beam instead of buying a new scale because I like it so much.
I also have an older RCBS powder dump that works really well.
Old March 6, 2012, 08:08 AM   #7
Cajun Ken

Unclenick:

Are you referring to the Hogdon " Universal Clays" powder?
Old March 6, 2012, 10:21 AM   #8
AllenJ

I've never used Universal but Winchester 231 is another good choice.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:49 PM   #9
NESHOOTER

I had my Hornady a couple of weeks now and it does a great job on pistol loads I use Tightgroup which is a double base flaked type powder and out of appx 1500 pistol rounds only overcharged 2 times, so I just dumped it back in the hopper and in that time I was able to eat 2 cookies and a couple sips of coffee.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Ken,

Yes, Universal Clays is the full name, but the word "Universal" is what you'll spot on the package at the store and is what many folks call it, including Hodgdon in their load data, where it just says "Universal". Also, you don't want to mistake it for just plain Clays or for International Clays, which are two other Hodgdon powders.

The reason I thought of that particular powder is its burn rate similarity to Unique means you can most likely get it to do whatever you currently have Unique doing. Universal's smaller squashed sphere grains meter better and burn cleaner than Unique. I've been quite pleased with it for general purpose .45 Auto loads.

If you want still tighter metering you need to go to one of the spherical propellants, but I don't know one that is as close to Unique in performance. 231 (also sold as HP38) was mentioned earlier and will meter better, but it's a little faster, being geared toward target loads, and doesn't burn as cleanly. In the .45 with 200 grain bullets you can get about 50 fps more velocity with a top load of Universal than a top load of 231/HP38.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 6, 2012, 10:31 PM   #11
bossman

Really, they're so many powders to choose from that I finally just went with the best metering powder. Universal clays seems to meter better than Unique. Very close burn rate.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 8, 2012, 11:27 AM   #12
603Country

Cajun Ken, I bought the Lyman 1200 instead of the Hornady or the RCBS, but only because the Lyman was discounted a bit further at Christmas. I'm sure that any of the three would do a fine job for you. As for using that type metering/measuring gear, I wish I had done it sooner. I'm really pleased with the Lyman. And regarding accuracy, I check it against my 'plain old' digital scale from time to time and they always agree. I'm not sure exactly where my old RCBS powder trickler is right now.