The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
swimmer

Cleaning new brass

Hello everyone,
I was just wondering how many of you find it necessary to clean your new, never fired, brass before loading? I know some people have issues with lubrications from the brass being processed and others say they have not. Just looking for a general consensus. Try to keep everything relaxed, everyone's opinions is appreciated. I'm not looking for advice I'm just kind of curious on the difference on how everyone does everything. Please specify if you are talking about pistol or rifle rounds, as that make a difference. Have a great one everyone.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; September 24, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:22 PM   #2
smith627

No - pistol / Starline, Remington, Winchester - nothing to clean on the new brass I have bought over the years.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:35 PM   #3
4runnerman

I never clean new rifle brass,but i do FLS before loading first time. Pistol brass-- I have never paid for it. Range brass is fine for pistol. Im not much for pistol shooting in first place. I can hold my own,but i know there are those in here that can pick a fly at 50 yards so to say. ( god i hate them ha ha ).
Old September 24, 2012, 08:50 PM   #4
hk33ka1

I just load new brass as is. Sometimes I get fancy and chamfer the neck and then uniform primer pockets and debur flash hole. I never clean or size as it's already cleaned and sized from any of the manufacturers I bought.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:53 PM   #5
603Country

I'd say exactly what 4runnerman said, but he said it first.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
FloridaVeteran

I chamfer and de-burr, out of habit. But I have a lot of time, so TLC like that is easy enough.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:09 PM   #7
jepp2

Handgun new brass - for the first loading I just prime and let the expander make the case mouth round. No other actions taken.

Rifle brass - two different approaches:

- general run of the mill accuracy I run the expander through the neck to make it round, I chamfer the inside and outside of the neck.

- for my accuracy brass, I run the expander through the neck, trim and chamfer inside and outside of the neck lightly, uniform the primer pockets, deburr the flash hold and weigh and sort by similar weights.

I haven't found any new brass to have any residue on it, and that is 10's of thousands of rounds (Remington, Winchester, Lapua, Lake City, Hornady) I also have never seen the need to size new rifle brass. I do check the shoulder datum length versus my standards by rifle. But what I find on new rifle brass is the shoulder is already set back further than necessary to insure it will chamber in "everything". I realize others have found problems that they now FL size new rifle brass.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:35 AM   #8
4runnerman

hk33ka1 --New rifle brass is neither FLS or fire formed. It is in some in between phase. No one really counts on new brass being real accurate first load,but FLS new brass really does help.

Just for fun try it once. Load 10 new and FLS 10 new. I think you will be amazed at the difference when you shoot them.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:06 AM   #9
p5200

New brass is not FLS? didn't know that but next new bag of rifle brass I get I'll try loading 10 rounds both ways.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:29 AM   #10
jcwit

Have never cleaned any as of yet, been reloading since the 1960's. I do chamfer tho.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:37 AM   #11
spacecoast

What would you expect to remove by cleaning it?
Old September 25, 2012, 11:16 AM   #12
4runnerman

P5200-- All i can say is-You will be amazed at the difference.