The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 17, 2000, 08:19 PM   #1
Justin Moore

For you folks that own a Scorpion:

Does the variable spot to flood focus cause dark and light spots in the beam, like a Mag-Lite does? Am thinking about buying one of these, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks
Democracy: A government of the masses, authority derived through mass meetings or any other form of direct expression; results in mobocracy; attitude toward property is communistic negating property rights; attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences; its result is dem-o-gogism, license, agitation, discontent and anarchy.

Republic: Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best suited to represent them. Attitude toward property is respect for laws and individual rights and a sensible economic procedure. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles that establish evidence with a strict regard for consequences. A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass, it avoids the dangerous extremes of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice contentment and progress, is a standard for government around the world.
Old December 17, 2000, 09:59 PM   #2
Ledbetter

Adjustable beam

Not like a Mag lite. But the beam is more intense if it is concentrated. I keep mine about 1/3 above smallest.
Old December 17, 2000, 11:30 PM   #3
VictorLouis

Yes, at its widest setting, it is like a MagLite.

But, you have a lot more lattitude of adjustment while still maintaining light in the center of the beam. I also own a 6P, and I think the Scorpion has it all over it for general purpose use. Cheaper too!
Old December 18, 2000, 09:35 PM   #4
hksigwalther

I gotta agree with VictorLouis. At max or close to max spread, there definitely is a dark spot in the center (screwing outward - loosen). There are (at least mine) dark spots on the outer edge (2 - 180° from each other) when screwing in (tightening the reflector). The Scorpions are excellent values as compared to the 6P (of which I have 3).
Old December 20, 2000, 06:35 PM   #5
wyatt

i have a scorpian streamlight and a surefire. if you have had the chance to try either in the dark they make conventional battery flashlights look like nightlights. i was so impressed i thought the idea of dark spots a relative mute point unless you need to justify the price difference. that said i like both pretty much the same. buy the less expensive or buy them both but i highly recommend at least one. wyatt
Old December 20, 2000, 06:52 PM   #6
Gopher .45

I tried two of my scorpions and I don't have any dark spots until I unscrew the tip so far that it comes off.
Old December 22, 2000, 12:20 PM   #7
VictorLouis

A caution to you Scorpion users.

I went out to the darkened laudry room, Scorpion in my front pocket, carried lamp up. In bending down to pick up the clothes, the light turned on! Seems that my leg compresses the tailcap enough to activate it. So, if you are trying to be stealthy, use a belt scabbard for the light.