The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2008, 09:03 PM   #1
overkill556x45

.45 LC C.O.L. question

I'm getting a Blackhawk in .45LC next week (celebrating turning 24) and I'm setting up to reload for .45LC (already do so for .223, .308, and .45ACP). My book lists 1.600" as the min AND max C.O.L.

I'll be loading 250gr LRNFP and 200gr SWC (leftovers from .45 ACP) over moderate doses of Win231. So what COL do you folks use?

Thanks in advance! And Merry Christmas to all!
Old December 24, 2008, 09:07 PM   #2
zxcvbob

The case is so huge, it doesn't make any difference until you start trying to use 405 grain rifle bullets. Let the bullets tell you where to crimp them.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:15 PM   #3
Pathfinder45

That is the maximum OAL for factory ammo. Remember, the cartridge was originally designed to fit the Colt SAA. Your actual OAL can be longer as long as it fits your cylinder. In a lever-gun it can be longer only if it still feeds and chambers reliably. I've read that Winchester '92's are real finicky about cartridge length. But my Marlin eats it all up even some really long 300 grainers.
Old December 26, 2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Ozzieman

There is an old argument on what’s better, seating deep or shallow.
You load with the COL at maximum then you have shorter travel for the bullets before they hit the lands and it’s said this will improve accuracy.
Deep (as long as you don’t compress) will make a better, tighter bullet to case fit and will keep the bullet in the case that little bit longer and will get a little better burn and more velocity with the same charge.
The whole argument might be hog wash, but for the larger cases like 44 mag and 45 LC I load the bullets as deep as long as it’s not compressing the powder.
Unless the bullets have a cannelure or a crimp ring, then I fall back on stupidity and feel that the bullet manufactures know more than I do and use that as the depth gage.
Old December 26, 2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Walkalong

For plated 185 to 225 Gr .45 ACP bullets with no cannelure, I load them until most of the bearing surface in inside the case. I have shot them with 5 to 6 grs of Red Dot with good success.