The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2013, 02:57 AM   #1
Topkicker

Browning Maxus...Thoughts from owners.

It's time for another shotgun. The Browning Maxus Sporting carbon fiber has really caught my eye. I enjoy shooting clay and would like a semi-auto. Would love to hear some feed back. Thanks in advance.
Old July 3, 2013, 01:20 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't own one....but my observations...

I see a few of them around - not necessarily that model...but the model you're looking at has an alloy receiver and in a 30" barrel its only a shade over 7 lbs...so its light.../ but being a gas gun, it should shoot fairly softly.

On a clays gun....for an all around gun / for Sporting clays, 5 Stand and Skeet....I think it'll be fine ( its a similar spec in terms of weight to the Benelli Super Sport models - which I have ) ....and in a gun that light, I'd sure go with the 30" barrel so the gun isn't too whippy...making you slap at targets vs getting a smooth follow thru. To my 12ga version of the Benelli Super Sport - I will often add 8 oz under the forend ( I use lead golfers tape)...and 8 oz inside the stock ...being careful so I don't change the balance point on the gun ...but I like it a lot better at 8.5 lbs than I do at 7.25 lbs.../ to prevent it from being to "whippy".

In terms of reliability ...I own a lot of Browning shotguns ...and I've never had an issue with any of them / and I don't hear any bad things at my club about any of the Browning / Winchester semi-autos ....either the Maxus or the Silver - or Gold series ( that they used to make in 12ga)...
Old July 4, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3
AllenJ

Two years ago I purchased a Browning Maxus to replace a 1187 SuperMag that I used for hunting everything but dove and quail. It is a bunch of money to plop down so I did a lot of research prior to deciding on the Maxus. After two years of field use I still think I made a good decision and do not hesitate to recommend the Maxus to my friends. I've not had a malfunction with it yet and once I got used to the lighter weight I shoot just as good as I did with the 1187. Very reliable gun and I highly recommend it.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Nate Shult

I picked up a Browning Maxus Stalker (the straight black synthetic one) about 3 months ago. My primary use for it is waterfowl hunting. I had some experience with the gun as one of my buddies goose hunts with a 10 gauge, so he allowed me to use his Maxus while we were goose hunting pretty extensively for a year. Cycling 3 inch goose loads it performed flawlessly so I ordered mine in (I got a 26 inch barrel and the only one on the shelf locally was a 28 inch). Well mine ended up coming in about a week before I left for a Missouri snow goose hunt, and I wasn't completely expecting the gun to show up before the hunt. I ended up getting out and shooting some trap before the trip to make sure everything was going to function. I ended up running about 4 boxes through it that day without a single issue whatsoever. On the 2 day hunt I ended up shooting I think 3 boxes of shells, no issues whatsoever. Functionally it's a great gun and I can't say I've ever heard of anyone having any issues with them.
As for the fit, I must say I was pretty impressed. The gun swings nice, it shoulders beautifully, and it points well. The one issue I could possibly see someone having is the forearm. It is a wider grip compared to a lot of current guns that go with more slender lines (see the Winny SX3 or even an SBEII). For me it feels comfortable and shoots comfortably. If you've handled one and like the fit, then I'd say pull the trigger.
I have also been fairly impressed by the patterning of the factory chokes. I believe Briley makes the factory Invector + chokes but don't quote me on that. I know a lot of guys shooting trap and skeet that use the Diana grade extended chokes but being a waterfowler I have gone the route of the Patternmaster and Carlson's Black Cloud chokes.
Enough with my rant though, let us know if you get the gun and how you like it!