The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 20, 2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Larry Spencer

70yr Old Kills Two Punks

I am new here. Has this been posted before? This guy uses a great tactic when 2 punks hold him up with a Tec-9!

Movie Clip: 70yr old man shoots and kills armed robbers

Old January 20, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2
vytoland

dont mess with the old folks wearing glasses
Old January 20, 2009, 08:46 PM   #3
ZEBRARANGER

Powerful story straight from the victims mouth, like he said, there was no other option. Bottom line is you never know who your messing with, young or old.
Old January 20, 2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Lavid2002

lol
Old January 20, 2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Only S&W and Me

I couldn't understand him...was his gun concealed in his waistbelt or on the counter? He said just by chance he brought it in with him from the car.

This is such a cool story!
Old January 20, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Larry Spencer

Only S&W,

He said he usually takes it out of his waistband and puts it on the mantel and leaves it there while he is working inside the apt.

He said that when he went to get the furnace filter from his vehicle, he decided to put it back in his waistband because the vehicle was a block away from the apt.

When he came back to the apt. he started working on something, without putting it (luckily) back on the mantel as he usually does.….. that’s when he had the nice visitors.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:38 AM   #7
regal

perfect example of why you should always have a pistol on hand for home defense. A shotgun under the bed is of no good if you're in the kitchen.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8
#18indycolts

quoteerfect example of why you should always have a pistol on hand for home defense

dude, If I live in a neighborhood where I have to carry my gun while I'm at home, then its time to move my friend.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:54 PM   #9
SigfanTN

This has been posted before, but it is still a very moving story.

Quote:
dude, If I live in a neighborhood where I have to carry my gun while I'm at home, then its time to move my friend.
If you watch the video you will see that this man was not at home, he was getting a rental property ready for new tenants. Also, as gun owners, each of us has to make a choice of when and where to carry. Some folks cannot move and no one can predict when and where they will need their weapon for protection.

He is very lucky that he made the decision to put his rig back on when he did or the story might have ended very differently.
Old January 21, 2009, 01:01 PM   #10
RainbowBob

Quote:
Dude, are you aware that bad guys have cars - and know that the better neighborhoods have better stuff to steal?
Old January 21, 2009, 01:24 PM   #11
#18indycolts

I realize bg's have cars, but I stand to what I said...If I HAVE to wear my gun while I'm in MY HOUSE, then I'm moving. My response might not have been about the present situation, I was merely responding to what regal said: "perfect example of why you should always have a pistol on hand for home defense.A shotgun under the bed is of no good if you're in the kitchen." I took that meaning as carry on you while at home.
Old January 21, 2009, 01:47 PM   #12
RainbowBob

Quote:
If I HAVE to wear my gun while I'm in MY HOUSE...
You don'y HAVE to carry a gun anywhere - it's a personal choice.

However, many people choose to carry at home, regardless of where they live.

I live in a nice neighborhood in North Seattle. Last year, while walking my dog, I was threatened by a guy who had just knocked down a mail-box while speeding down my street.

Not long after, we were "interviewed" by a pair of sleezy looking guys who drove up our driveway trying to sell us "meat" from their unmarked truck.

Several years ago, we heard helicopters overhead and saw police cars out in the street (in our "nice" quiet neighborhood). I looked out my slider and saw a man hiding behind my shrubbery within 15 feet of my door. I didn't even own a firearm at that time, and when I tried to call 911 on my land-line (this was before cell-phones) - I discovered to my shock that the line was dead! I hustled my wife to the garage and drove out of there - alerting the police I encountered that the guy they were looking for was in my yard. We left and I never did find out what happened to the fugitive.

Plenty of other questionable characters have stopped by over the years.

My routine is to have a firearm readily available in the winter when all the doors are locked 24/7 - and carry in the summer when doors are constantly opening and are often unlocked for one reason or another.

And I never leave home without it - not even to walk the dog.

My point is this: As far as I'm concerned, there is no place you can move that isn't vulnerable to predators.

Last edited by RainbowBob; January 21, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:03 PM   #13
#18indycolts

I know I'll get a ton of flack for this but....I think (me, not anybody else, so its MY opinion) that if people feel they MUST carry inside their house then its borderline paranoia. There I said it. Having a weapon thats "readily available" is different than having it on you at all times. What do you do in the shower? Are you constantly looking out the shower curtain for a BG? Also I really don't want to explain to my baby girl why her daddy wants to carry a gun in the house. "Daddy, why do you carry your gun at home?" "Well baby, I can give you a hundred answers, but it boils down to the fact that I'm paranoid".
I know bad stuff happens in all walks of life, but if I'm that afraid, I will MOVE!
Old January 21, 2009, 02:10 PM   #14
abber

As an obviously decent man, he will carry this forever, as he himself said. HE is the victim here, and I pray the perp's families/friends do not seek to victimize him further. So often, these people see themselves as the victims in a situation like this one. I'm not sure that I agree with him doing an interview, however. Just my $0.02.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:12 PM   #15
Perldog007

Move?

Quote:

I heartily agree, IF - one has the means. Somebody has to cook your lunch, sweep the floors, clean the restroom, wash the dishes..... you get the idea.

Avoiding trouble is always the best option. No matter where you live trouble can find you and it happens more often in some places than others. I think most of us have our families and ourselves in the best places we can find and afford according to our situation.

If I wanted a mortgage I COULD move, but I consider the stress of a mortgage and living in tract housing more hazardous than the occasional madness that visits my modest 'hood. We keep the means of legal defense handy in this house, and have done so living in a pricey townhouse in much more upscale surroundings.

I am glad that the system worked for the good guy here. When every law abiding citizen can make the choice for themselves whether or not to carry a defense tool, we have won. Until such time, more work to be done.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:23 PM   #16
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I know bad stuff happens in all walks of life, but if I'm that afraid, I will MOVE!
If you can and want to live in a gated community that might help. Otherwise, the question is "where?"

If you live in a high crime area and can move, do so, but don't count on that to keep you safe.

About 35 years ago, a restaurant worker carried his carving knife with him after work and somehow got into a third floor apartment down the street from where I lived. Looked to me like something that only Spiderman could do. He announced his intention to rape the occupant. Somehow the arrival of her room-mate scared him off.

The police advised them to acquire a firearm. To them, that was anathema, and they moved...

...to an apartment in the peaceful, "safe" community in which I live now. Shortly after that they heard the resident in the adjacent apartment being brutally attacked.

We have had three home invasions, one resulting in the murder of a resident, in good neighborhoods in our area in recent weeks.

Having related all that, carrying in the house is something I do not want to do, for several reasons. Having a gun readily available but safely stowed is my preference.

Repeating an earlier post, the intended victim of these perps was not carrying at home, but in a rental property in an apparently questionable area.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:49 PM   #17
RainbowBob

Quote:
I think (me, not anybody else, so its MY opinion) that if people feel they MUST carry inside their house then its borderline paranoia. There I said it. Having a weapon thats "readily available" is different than having it on you at all times. What do you do in the shower? Are you constantly looking out the shower curtain for a BG? Also I really don't want to explain to my baby girl why her daddy wants to carry a gun in the house.
#18indycolts:
I understand what you are saying, and a few years ago I would probably have agreed with you. Particularly your concern about your baby girl.

But consider this: A gun that is readily available (and I mean really ready) can't be locked away some place unloaded. And you don't want a loaded, unlocked firearm in the house with small children.

If an individual makes the decision to have a ready firearm - there is nothing more ready than carrying - even in the house. There is also nothing safer (short of locking them away) around small children. When you are carrying the only loaded firearm in the house, you can be CERTAIN that curious hands are not going to find that loaded weapon in your nightstand or closet.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:54 PM   #18
#18indycolts

thats why I like these forums, because everyone is allowed their opinion. Everyone had good reasons here, even if I don't agree totally, but thats the point or we wouldn't debate.
Old January 21, 2009, 03:12 PM   #19
bclark1

It is open to debate, but it's not relevant to the topic, as it wasn't about the shooter's own home. Moreover, I certainly wouldn't come to Indianapolis unarmed.

It boils down to abstracting in one direction or the other. On one hand, you can abstract a particular instance in favor of calling it paranoia - in which case, why own guns for defense at all? If I have to carry in my car, I should change my route. To work, I should find a new job. And so forth.

The other direction to abstract is what I'd call the airbag argument. Do I plan to crash my car? No. Is it likely I will? The chance may indeed be astronomically small if I am very careful, avoid traffic and hazards, drive defensively, etc. But in the event that those long odds play out, I certainly wouldn't want to be without an airbag. No matter how secure your house is, no matter how good the neighborhood is, there is no immunity. Folks I know on one of the most quiet, expensive, homogeneous blocks in the Chicago suburbs came home to a burglary late last year. There is no perfect safety.

I also think it's detrimental to ever question anyone's good faith motives on the subject. Creating or supporting stigmas like that is the exact divide-and-conquer strategy the antis have been relying on for years now to chip away at gun rights. Casting someone in a critical light for behaving within the bounds of the law only lowers the barriers to broadening that law and further constricting the rights it addresses.

To the original post, good for this guy. When I saw how long the video was, I thought "I'll never make it through this." But it was gripping. He's a great guy and I hope he can spend the remainder of his life in peace knowing he's been a good example of how to act in tough circumstances, protected the people he cares about, and sent a message to lowlifes who would prey on those they consider weak.
Old January 21, 2009, 03:46 PM   #20
#18indycolts

quote: I certainly wouldn't come to Indianapolis unarmed.

Hey now. I'm not sure where in ohio you're at, but I think cinci has worse areas than indy.
Old January 21, 2009, 03:54 PM   #21
#18indycolts

quote:you can abstract a particular instance in favor of calling it paranoia.

So me dressed as Rambo in my house...grenades and .50 cal machine gun, lets throw in the bazooka in there also....is that paranoid? or you just gonna write that off as protecting my self?
Old January 21, 2009, 04:40 PM   #22
Socrates

Areas of LA, Oakland, D.C., San FRancisco, and Richmond
where the above is not unreasonable.

In fact, the way things are going in Mexico, that might need to be standard issue for folks on the border...
Old January 21, 2009, 05:04 PM   #23
Whiteboy67

Sounds like Clint Eastwood's brother.
Old January 21, 2009, 06:09 PM   #24
dabigguns357

First and for most let me mention that while i seem paranoid by carrying a gun while i sit here typing a post to tfl,i'm not.Infact i stood up and took this picture of what i'm wearing as i type to ya'll.

I lived in a town where the only thing that happened in the last 4 years was a house fire next door,but 4 years before that a nice little old lady lived across the street from the then owners and was brutally attacked and shot in her home,they still haven't got who did it.No one is safe in any urban,rural,country,or city setting.If they want something they will do what they can to get it,whether it be from you or someone else.

I have a 10 year old,a 16 month old and one on the way,and that gives me even more reason to carry in and out of my house.What are you going to do if 2 b/g's come to your door and instead of knocking they let them selves in.Are you going to have time to gather the kids and run to safety and a gun or are you going to have the means to defend your family on your hip.My motto is this
Old January 21, 2009, 06:12 PM   #25
SW1911CT

I carry almost all the time. Friends and family who notice (most don't because I'm low key about my CCW) have asked me why I always need to carry my pistol. I tell the the truth and say it truly is not an inconvenience to me. I have a very comfortable holster and if I'm sitting in a car or on the couch reading or whatnot and it is pressing into my side I might take it out and leave it sitting beside me. And when I stand up again I just put it back in it's home, my right hip! I just never feel like it's a chore or that I have to go out of my way to have it on me. When a BG breaks into your house they might just kick the door down and barge right in. If you don't have your rig readily available you might as well not have it.

I'm glad that with CCW I don't have to make the choice, but if open carry was the only option then the inconvenience factor would possibly rise enough to limit some of my carrying opportunities. I don't like the attention that would surely draw.