The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2007, 12:23 AM   #1
Wildalaska

Primer substitution

Well the search for GM210Ms continues...I have 350 approx left and that is enough to last me a a little bit for the match guns

Has anyone gone from 210Ms to another brand "X" without having to adjust their load to much and without any degradation in accuracy?

WildsparkyAlaska
Old June 26, 2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

See the thread on the Primer Crisis. Lots of people have gone to the CCI BR, despite the price. Another thread contributor mentioned PMC as getting popular on the BR circuit. I think these must be their drop-in (no flashhole enlagement or crimp required) non-toxic primers. The BR people prefer a weak primer, IIRC. One year they went ga-ga over a particularly wimpy lot of RWS primers. They want the powder charge to do all the pressure determination. I can't imagine that works nearly as well with ball powder as it does with stick powder, unless maybe the case is full nearly to compression. Some people still swear by Remington and Winchester for some loads.

As to substituting without a new load workup, I think you better forget it. Even lot changes within a particular brand can make that necessary if you have a really tight sweet-spot load.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle