The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2006, 09:42 AM   #1
randleland

Requesting your tips on reloading benches:

I'm tempted to just go to Lowe's and buy a "work bench in a box" (they have one with a stout metal top, for mechanics), but figure I'd be smart to ask for your sugestions on what's best in a reloading bench (an "if you were to do it again," sort of thing). I've also sent for the plans available from the NRMA, but they warned that their mailings can take several weeks to arrive.

Thanks!
Old February 12, 2006, 09:47 AM   #2
hpg

I made mine out of 2x6's and plywood. It's 4'x4' and it's 1-1/2" thick, good and sturdy. It does not move, I have it anchored to the wall in a corner. Solid as a rock. I have a couple of kitchen base cabinets under it for storage. My 1-1/2" thick top sets on the cabinets. hpg
Old February 12, 2006, 10:09 AM   #3
JDG

Go with wood, old counter tops work good.You want something heavy enough so it doesnt move around, sizing cases can get rough You also should bolt your press down, opposed to screwing it down. Welcome to the world of reloading! be safe
Old February 12, 2006, 10:21 AM   #4
kart racer

bench

I just made one about a month ago.Went to Home Depot,bought 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood 24x48,several 2x4's,a piece of 1/4 plywood for a shelve,decking screws and bolts.I bolted 2 2x4's together for the legs-get 96inch 2x4s-no waste.I glued and screwed the plywood together for the top.It's small and simple,but will suffice for a goos while.
Old February 12, 2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Robert M Boren Sr

Here's mine I built. I like wood myself. I want to build another one as you can see the one I have is already getting cluttered. I also have the plans for the one I built if you want them. Anyhow here's mine:
Old February 12, 2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Russ5924

Not sure I would like a metal loading table,to much chance of Static Electricity????????????
Old February 12, 2006, 08:07 PM   #7
Citadel99

I scoured the internet for plans for the right reloading bench. Finally settled on this one and it worked great.

http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht082.html

The thing is solid as can be and easy to build. I might actually build another one soon...

Mark
Old February 12, 2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Citadel99

I scoured the internet for plans for the right reloading bench. Finally settled on this one and it worked great.

http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht082.html

The thing is solid as can be and easy to build. I might actually build another one soon...

Mark
Old February 12, 2006, 08:30 PM   #9
randleland

Mark, very helpful. Thanks again to all. -r
Old February 13, 2006, 02:31 PM   #10
eagle24

A solid core door slab makes an excellent top for a reloading bench. You can get one at a building supply store. Check to see if they have a damaged door slab, it will probably cost less than a finished piece of plywood.
Old February 13, 2006, 02:57 PM   #11
xjz

metal work bench

I actually work with explosives for my job occasionally and all our work benches are metal. They are easy to ground and you don't want some of the chemicals from your work to soak into a wood table top and cause cross contamination or even lead exposure due to lead absorbind into wood and then resting your arm on it later. Just a thought. My workbench at home is metal.
Old February 13, 2006, 03:25 PM   #12
azredhawk44

I have a metal workbench with a plywood top on it. Home Depot type of kit, used to be my dad's.

I reenforced the side holding my press by sandwiching a 1" thick by 12" wide piece of oak shelving from underneath. It runs to the back of the bench, about 24". This creates a sandwich effect by clamping down hard on the metal lip that holds up the plywood top. The top rests on a metal lip. The reenforcing board is under the metal lip and is pulled up by tension of the screws (put in from the top).

This securely anchors my working surface. I resize all I want, no problems. I haven't even had the feet of the bench wiggle.
Old February 13, 2006, 04:22 PM   #13
tjhands

I bought my workbench in a kit from Menard's for $50 or so. It's all wood and was easy to put together. If I say it's easy, it is EASY! It's been everything I could ask for in a reloading bench.
Old February 13, 2006, 06:54 PM   #14
Toney

My reloading bench is an desk i bought for $15 from a thrift shop. I's heavy and has got a good thick wood top.
Old February 13, 2006, 09:21 PM   #15
rnovi

I bought a $40 pre-assembled work table from Home Depot - heh, display on clearance item. Perfect for my bench. But the bench is only part of the story.

LIGHT! Invest in some GOOD lighting! Two pair of 48" long flourescents at a minimum. Also consider some 10" lamps as well. Gotta be able to see!

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old February 15, 2006, 03:53 AM   #16
Gary H

Heavy Duty Metal Storage Racks

I purchased two of the industrial strength metal storage racks. These are heavy duty eight foot racks.

Iteration one was with both metal racks attached back to back with a 4'x8" Melamine MDF as a top. It was bolted to the wall.

Iteration 2: New kid..needs bedroom.. so I had a 10'x12' shed built on a solid cement slab. Now, the tables are mounted separately, but bolted to the walls.

This approach was cheap, solid, strong...but very utilitarian looking. Honestly, once you mount four presses, two primer safes, hundreds of pounds of shot, bullets and brass, doesn't any bench look rather utilitarian?
Old February 15, 2006, 07:36 PM   #17
alzo

Also available Lowe's and similar stores are kits from "2 x 4 Basics". You still supply the wood materials, but the kit makes it a snap to build a very sturdy work bench. I stuck with 8ft and 4ft pieces of 2x4 (which they cut for me at the store) to keep it simple, but you can use pretty much whatever dimensions work for you. They also have a website: www.2x4basics.com

Look in the "storage systems" section.
Old February 15, 2006, 08:18 PM   #18
Jim P.

Go to the attached link for plans. Use two pieces of Advantek waterproof decking (home center) for the top and glue/screw it all together with construction glue and decking screws. The overlapping joints create strengh superior to anything else. I have eight of these tables in
my shop including a dedicated reloading bench.

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/tablefig.htm
Old February 15, 2006, 08:18 PM   #19
Jim P.

Go to the attached link for plans. Use two pieces of Advantek waterproof decking (home center) for the top and glue/screw it all together with construction glue and decking screws. The overlapping joints create strengh superior to anything else. I have eight of these tables in
my shop including a dedicated reloading bench.

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/tablefig.htm
Old February 16, 2006, 09:01 PM   #20
randleland

Wow! What a response!
Thanks, to all. I'm making myself finish the renovation of the room, before I start on my bench. I'll see if I can figure out how to include a picture.
Thanks, again. -r
Old February 16, 2006, 09:37 PM   #21
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
I made mine about 40 years ago from 3/4 inch plywood and 2x4s. Made it small because at that time I was crowded for space and have found it to be so serviceable that I still use it. With in the next couple of weeks I plan to make an adjoining table and shelves to hold more "stuff."

What ever kind you have if you are loading rifle bullets and you are gonna do any full length resizing, and you will, you need to either attache it to the wall, bolt it to the floor or do as I did. I installed a 2x4 on the bottom of the legs on the press end of the table and let it extend 2 feet out to the front and put in a brace from the outer end of it back to the table. You gotta have one or the other to compensate for the "torque" load put on the table when you resize.
Old February 18, 2006, 10:07 AM   #22
tjhands

Here's my Menard's workbench kit that I got for $50 or $60. Supplies, unfortunately, were NOT included!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns 070.jpg (33.9 KB, 94 views)
Old February 18, 2006, 10:13 AM   #23
wingman

Plywood and 4/4 legs, 8ft long, 30inchs wide, approx 35 high so i can stand or set with stool. They are never big enough......................
Old February 18, 2006, 08:35 PM   #24
beardking

I kind of like my reloading bench. 2x4's screwed liberally to the studs to form a ledger, then 2 sheets of 1/2" particleboard. Works just like I want it too. And if I put the closet doors back on, I can close it up and hide it anytime I want.

Old February 18, 2006, 09:48 PM   #25
DonR101395

Mine is a formica countertop that someone didn't buy. It was collecting dust at a home improvment store and I got it for next to nothing. Like $15 for a $400 counter top. I made a frame from 4x4's and mounted it.