The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 6, 2005, 02:21 PM   #1
kwkoch

vaminters

is there any dedicated coyote hunters here????
Old December 6, 2005, 02:37 PM   #2
12-34hom

Coyote hunting.

That and Red Fox & crow.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old December 12, 2005, 01:50 PM   #3
the possum

I might consider myself a dedicated varminter, but raccoons and possums are my game of choice. I've gotten several coyotes over the years though when the opportunity presented itself. Dad saw six 'yotes in one day last week, and a good friend wants to really get into coyote huntin', so maybe I'll have some more relevant stuff to share in the future.

One of my best friends in high school was really into coyote calling, lots of locals chase them with dogs, and an old trapper got a whole bunch of 'em on our farm last year. So, if you're looking for some very generalized input, I may be able to help. What is it you'd like to know?
Old December 12, 2005, 01:55 PM   #4
zeisloft

A fair bit here, is there a question to follow or just a survey?
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old December 12, 2005, 03:08 PM   #5
shureshot0471

I love shootin those curious little buggers they are a blast to shoot have shot them from 50 to 500 yards it still remains fun but I cant seem to learn to call them can yall give me some tips cause I cant figure it out
- Ted Nugent
Old December 13, 2005, 10:22 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If there's a lot of moon, calling works pretty good in late afternoon/evening, and from first light through sunup. In the dark of the moon, I've found that around 10PM is good.

One thing is to not use too bright a light. Q-Beams are neat, but you hit a coyote in the face with one and he loses interest. I have a red lens-cover, and try to just use the edge of the light to pick up the reflection of Ol' Wiley's eyes.

They'll come to a call from wherever they are, but they'll circle and make the final approach from downwind. You have to look for a spot where they're pretty much forced to come in from crosswind, because of ravines or trees/brush.

Call sorta loud at first, and then soften. Don't call steadily for any great length of time. Two or three minutes; maybe five. Then give it a rest before trying again.

I've used several different mouth-calls; they all seem to work okay, but I've done best with an Olt.

The Burnham wounded rabbit tape works, also.

I see where they're making a deal now where you can set a receiver/speaker out from your stand, and play a tape on a deck/transmitter. Shoot a rabbit, set it and the speaker together, back off 50 to 100 feet, and have fun...

Art
Old December 13, 2005, 12:42 PM   #7
shureshot0471

Thanks Art I will try this after deer and duck season
- Ted Nugent
Old December 13, 2005, 03:47 PM   #8
kwkoch

sorry for the delayed response
ZEISLOFT--not a survey just trying to see if anyone had some usefull info. i have been wanting to get into it for the past few years but very seriously this year. i have a digital caller and when i first used it i called in 6 at once in the dark but like art said when hit with the spotlight they scattered so no shot. since then have had zero luck at any time. seems like all the info i can find on the net is for western wide open country. i however am trying to hunt them where it is mainly woods with the occasional smaller corn fields of southern indiana. i know we have lots of them around due to hearing them at night and finding lots of tracks in the snow. also see 4-5 a year when deer hunting. for those interested in good info on open type terrain www.varmintal.com is a very good website.
Old December 13, 2005, 04:38 PM   #9
zeisloft

I like the digital callers, but it is hard to beat a mouth caller. Easy set up, and minimal weight. No I have not hunted in Indiana, but I have hunted central and south TX where it is thicker than the west. One thing that will help is to listen to Arts advice on light dicipline. When using a spotlight, use the halo, not the direct beam, that is , shine the light up at about a 30degree angle. If hunting durring the day, use crow decoys. Black handkerchief propped up with a stick will work. Call with your caller or a mouth call loud for 30 sec, wait 30 sec, call lighter, wait 30 sec and go to the crow call. Coyotes will come in to rob the crows, works well with hawk calls too.

Another thing to try...get a cheap squeak toy (pet store) pull the squeaker out and use it as a coaxer. When the dogs are insite but obstructed or out of range, a few light squeaks will bring em in.

Hunt egdes, you mention corn fields, set up in the middle of them after harvest, construct a small cover blind to hide your movement and pay attention to the wind. Most or all, dont call too loud for too long, dont be afraid to move around, but dont move too soon 30 mins is my self imposed minimum. Good luck, ask more questions if you have them, someone may have an answer.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old December 13, 2005, 11:04 PM   #10
impact

Anyone ever use one of these[IMG][/IMG] It's a short straw. I smash it with my teeth. With a little practice it sounds just like a rabbit in distress.
Old December 13, 2005, 11:06 PM   #11
impact

Oh! I find the straws from McDonalds work the best
Old December 14, 2005, 12:27 AM   #12
shureshot0471

good advice this will really help I am gonna save all of this when the time is right what is the best time of year I$ am seeing a lot of dogs right now but if we go just shootin them it might hurt the deer hunting so we have to keep it calm
- Ted Nugent