The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 10, 2005, 07:18 PM   #1
farmall

weld Browning Reciever?

Can anyone reccomend a competent welder to repair a cracked reciever on a Browning .22 automatic. It is cracked through the threads where the barrel separates from the reciever. I shot this rifle alot before ever dissassembling it for cleaning. I know i never did this, so it must have been this way when I bought it. The crack was hidden by an overhanging scope mount. Anyone ever seen this before? Must not carry alot of stress as I bet I fired 1000 rounds this way, never missed a beat and accuracy was ok. I am afraid to reassemble this rifle and use it this way. Dont care about hurting resale value as the rifle is pretty rough looking already. Thanks.
Old May 11, 2005, 03:24 AM   #2
mtnboomer

Welding would likely distort the receiver and cause accuracy to head south quickly. If it's been this way for a while and doesn't cause any problems, I would leave it alone. No, there should not be much stress on the part being a rimfire although constant cycling of the bolt may cause enough vibration to be a problem.

If you feel like it needs to be repaired I would find a competent gunsmith and talk it over with them. It will have to be disassembled (barrel removed from the receiver) and a very good welder may be able to TIG weld it without much distortion.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old May 16, 2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

welding reciever

Dear shooter:
Don't do it.
Harry B.