The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 22, 2005, 03:25 PM   #1
utaherrn

have a S&W 625 with a trigger pull that is heavy and creepy.

Thinking of using wolff reduced power mainspring kit at brownells for a lighter smoother pull as a low cost alternative to a trigger job.
have heard that this may be a problem with the 625 and moonclips, ie: failure to ignite the primer.
Anyone have experience with this? Any other options other than sending it off for a trigger job?
I shoot commercial US loaded ammo only, no milsurp, no russian, etc.
thanks
Old April 22, 2005, 06:16 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I assume you mean the double action pull. Good gunsmiths are usually able to reduce the pull and smooth things up without reducing the hammer momentum to the point where misfires might occur. If there is no one near you and you don't want to send the gun away, there are a couple of books that can help, including one by Jerry Kuhnhausen.

The lighter spring can ease trigger pull, but won't do much for creep, which is a matter of roughness in the parts. Naturally, a lighter spring will also reduce the hammer blow, but I can't see any reason that the 625 would be any more prone to trouble than any other revolver.

Jim
Old April 23, 2005, 10:42 AM   #3
Dave Sample

I would not advise anyone to try to avoid a good trigger job by a competent pistolsmith with a 625-?. The headspace on these 45 ACP revolvers is erratic due to the nature of the beast. I had Milt Morrison of Qualite' in Parker, Colorado, tune mine for me and I have done a lot of other S&W's, but would not touch this one. I traded it off to an Arizona Ranger and he still uses it for a duty weapon. They are wonderful guns. Mine was very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I really wish I still had it! Regrets.......................but I am a gunguy.
Old April 23, 2005, 06:37 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Several I have seen had good headspace. There is one factor, though, that is not present on the normal revolver and that is that .45 ACP cases do vary in case length by a greater amount than common for case rim thickness. Since the .45 ACP in those guns is supported on the case mouth (not the moon clip as some folks assume), a variation in case length can cause headspace problems. This is not a problem with the M1911 type pistol because the firing pin jumps out far enough to strike the primer, but the revolver firing pin protrusion is fixed.

So, I will second what Dave said about potential problems, but unless the mainspring is made too light, any round within spec should still fire even with a short case.

Jim
Old April 27, 2005, 06:00 PM   #5
Malamute

I've had a couple of Smiths with scratchy trigger actions. Sitting and dry firing them a lot has smoothed them out pretty well. Use snap caps if you are bothered by empty dry firing. Do both SA and DA cycles to get both smoothed out. Couple of hours will work wonders.
Old April 28, 2005, 07:49 PM   #6
trespass

turn springs

easy and sure way to slick action is to remove rebound spring and turn it a bit (I just slip a bit of coat hanger wire through and press it to a dremel belt sander using a fine grit) remove about 10-12/1000's of spring OD and try to be uniform along length of spring then cool in water, dry and oil with break free, this keeps original spring length and only lightens spring a bit and is much prefereable to cutting coils from the spring....stone bottom and back of rebound slide just a bit just to smooth it and not to remove material...lightly break the bottm edges of the slide as doing this also...then remove a bit of material from the end of the mainspring strain screw..not much, just a bit or will lighten it too much for positive primer igntion...and debur and smooth a bit along the base of the hammer pivot pin and such before reassembly (ron power makes shims if trigger/hammer wobbly and uneven on pivots), clean and lube well...now, give it a try...bet you'll find it much nicer and not hard to do at all. Be sure and test fire the thing.
Old May 6, 2005, 03:26 PM   #7
ForksLaPush

Quote:
have a S&W 625 with a trigger pull that is heavy and creepy
Let us know how to solve it,
I have a sister-in-law with the same features.
If the snake bites before it is charmed, there is no advantage in having a charmer. Ecclesiastes 10:11