The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 2, 2013, 07:59 PM   #26
JimDandy

Looking at it, State wise, he may be safe.. the prosecutor would have a fairly circular argument to make that it isn't a firearm, it's exempted from the list in Subsection 6 or 7, whichever it is, and to then go back and back door it in the next section would be violating framer's intent...

But this is all well after the fact and not guaranteed. And doesn't avoid the other minefields out there like the School zone. The Feds still might call it a firearm, and if you're within 1000 yards of a school zone, which is pretty damn hard to avoid in an urban setting....
Old February 3, 2013, 12:28 PM   #27
wayneinFL

Quote:
Let me suggest that your best first order of business would be an NRA Basic Handgun class. There are good things about revolvers and good things about semi-autos. And there are the issues of understanding safe handling and proper shooting of both types of handguns.
FYI for the OP- NRA Basic Pistol course will be enough to qualify for your CWFL. Then you need a picture, application, fingerprints ($5 at your local SO), a check for $117, and you're good to go.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:34 PM   #28
orsogato

I'd sell one of the two c&r guns and invest in a newer (larger caliber at least .380 on up, preferably .40 +) handgun.

If your Dad's colt is a 1908 vest pocket model .25acp it can be valued from anywhere between $400 and $700 or so depending on condiition.

That should still be enough to get yourself a quality handgun (S&W & Ruger revolvers, Glock, XD, M&P, some 1911s etc.), or at least offset the cost.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:57 PM   #29
ronval912

I thought about selling and decided there is too much sentimental value to sell the Vest Pocket or the Lebel.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:46 PM   #30
KBP

gun laws

My friend lives about 100 yards from a school. If you are not allowed to have a firearm within 1000 yds of a school, is he breaking the law to have guns in his house or on his person on his own property? What if I visit him and I am legally carring? This just seems wrong.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:57 PM   #31
ScottRiqui

The "Gun Free School Zone Act" has exemptions for guns on private property that isn't on school grounds, among other exemptions.
Old February 11, 2013, 01:14 AM   #32
kilimanjaro

I know of an individual who reasoned that his black powder revolver was not a firearm under state laws, and carried it around. The result was a concealed weapon felony, and a lot of impact to his finances and career.

Don't try and dance on the head of a pin, you'll just fall off and hurt yourself.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:52 AM   #33
ronval912

Yep. Apparently, it's pretty easy to get the carry permit in FL. So why not get the permit.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:33 AM   #34
godot

Unrequested suggestion

While using this as a carry weapon seems to be problematic, using it for a home defense gun has some merits. Should you ever have to use it, the Grand Jury should have no problem with your having/using a inherited weapon. It's very difficult to demonize this as apposed to a Mac10 or a "assault" gun.

Rightly or wrongly after any shooting, no matter how "righteous", there is a small window when the authorities may view you as a suspect in a crime. Even if your protecting your children from Freddie Krueger, the powers that be have to make sure that Freddie wasn't dispatched in violation of the law. In this weeks political climate, the DA would be under pressure to file charges against you if a "assault rifle" were used.

Tags
antique , conceal carry , lebel