The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 12, 2005, 02:09 PM   #1
longdude17

S&W 422 takedown instructions

I recently bought a S&W 422 about 6 months ago and have been shooting it regularly but I havent done a complete breakdown cleaning. I havent done that yet mainly cause I dont know how. THe gun was bought used so it didnt come with any instructions to aid in the breakdown or even the field stripping. I was wondering if any one in here would be nice enough to provide me with the instructions or some pics that illustrate how to do it for me. Ive tried going to S&W to purchase one but they dont seem to offer it any more. If some one could do this I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Dustin
Old May 16, 2005, 11:19 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will tell you how to do a field strip, but I STRONGLY suggest you not go beyond that. If you detail strip that gun, have fun.

To field strip, make sure the gun is unloaded.

Then use an empty .22 case to push in on what looks like a button at the front of the slide above the barrel muzzle. Hold it in and using the finger and thumb nails, lift the front sight straight up. Release the spring and guide rod carefully, or parts will fly away.

With the rod and spring out, pull the slide to the rear and lift it straight up and out.

To reassemble, put the slide back on, then the rod and spring. Press in on the end of the rod, and replace the front sight, with the detent cut to the rear.

Jim